Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:48:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690507
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: World War Two large scale.  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
World War Two large scale.
« on: January 28, 2008, 12:06:47 AM »
I am currently buil;ding forces for WWII skirmishing in 1/32 scale. Here are some of my efforts, the best part of a US platoon from the 3rd Infantry Division, and their supporting armour. Figures are Conte Collectibles plastic GIs, which are some of the best moulded plastics I have seen for a long time. The vehicle are Forces of Valour that I have extensively reworked. The terrain is scratchbuilt. Hope you like 'em.

Thesea re some of my German forces, which are King and Country that I have repainted, based and then varnished.

Thanks for you attention.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:12:13 AM »
Nice idea, the thought crossed my mind a while back, just need a big enough table and a friend with same passion as your self to get a game going.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:29:34 AM »
fantastico :love:

any chance of more pictures from a distance, so we can see what you can get on a 6x4 table etc.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:44:26 AM »
Iam more into BoB but this WW2 stuff you show here is even betterin my eyes. Absolutely beautiful. For years Iam charming with this scale and you get me hooked  :)
Björn
, ,

Offline Big Guy

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 08:20:02 AM »
I'm slowly working into colonial in 1/32 the figures aren't the problem it's the huge buildings that are slowing me down any chance of some inspiring photos?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »
Cool. Unusual gaming scale. So far I have only seen this as a display scale. How does the scale affect the playability?

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 08:28:14 AM »
Big guy you are right, the buildings etc are hard work but worth the effort, and you don't need that many. Here are some of my efforts. I have used foam core for the walls, and artist's card. They are based on polystyrene ceiling tiles, and some insulation boards that I found at work. However I would recommend MDF as a base or something similar to avoid warping. I paint in acrylics, and I learnt a lot making the buildings in this scale, you should batten the structures carefully to avoid any warp when they are painted. There are plenty of decent commercial buildings available in this scale, aimed at Modellers, but just as usable for gamers. Check out some of the US stores. I am happy to go into more detail, if you want to pm me about this.
And now the pics:

Hope this helps. As you can see this is an action that was fought out using a half of a table tennis table, approx 6'x4'. The sand bag emplacements are from the Tamiya sandbag sets based on plasticard.

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 08:40:37 AM »
Hammershield,

the scale does not affect playability as such, although most weapons are always in range on this scale, however plenty of terrain and cover and blocked lines  of sight help. You can get a good game in, using twenty figures or so a side and a couple of vehicles. But the visual aspect is hard to beat. As for costs, the Conte plastics I am working on cost roughly £1 each, so about the same price as one 28mm figure. There are plenty of rulesets available, although I use a homegrown set for my games.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 08:44:34 AM »
Great looking collection. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 10:54:55 AM »
which are King and Country that I have repainted

man, you must be loaded!! how much are the conte figures per box? nice looking stuff

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »
Some really neat faces on some of those!!!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes the K&C are pricey, but collected over three years, and my better half doesn't know about the damage to the credit card. And bless her she does buy them for me for Xmas and birthdays.

But because of the price amongst other things I have switched to the Conte Plastics, which work out at £1.00 per unpainted figure. They are more durable too. They are sold in blister packs of 10 figures. They are available in the UK through Maison Militaire. I can recommend a trip to the London Toy Soldier Show on March 29th at the National Hotel Russel Square Euston in London, there are dealers there who will sell them individually so you can avoid repeats.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 01:51:36 PM »
So THAT'S what I've got to do with my surviving 1/35 scale Tamiya tanks.... :)
Grand work - they're spectacular.