Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Images of My Minis [Added: June 12, 2012]  (Read 3874 times)

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
Images of My Minis [Added: June 12, 2012]
« on: April 30, 2012, 03:40:07 AM »
Starting with some British infantry on Mars. The figures are Empress, which I  :-* enough to replace thirty already painted figures.

The unit is a Welsh/English unit, 31st Regiment if I recall correctly. This explains the white cuffs, collars and epaulettes.

I need to work on my photography skills, I know. A better camera would help.

Comments? Critiques?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:14:52 AM by XCIV »
J

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- Winston Churchill
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Images of My Minis
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »
I think they look super!  :-*

The Empress minis are insanely detailed. Anyone who has the courage to paint them deserves high praise!

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 04:09:33 AM »
Very nice. Reminds me that I need to get working on my own colonial Brits.

One thing I've (recently) found with potographing figures... Use high pixle resolution and move the cameral back 6' to 12". You'll have to crop the pic but you'll still get most of the detail and everything will be in focus.

Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »
Thanks Mel. I'll try that.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Painting critique: well, errm, it looks really excellent, the only things that strike me (because you've gotten very up-close-and-personal) are that it doesn't look like you've painted their eyes and that always helps to make a well-painted mini look fantastic (and a badly painted mini, as mine tend to be, look like an insane panda-clown, but never mind); a slight criticism of the style might be that there doesn't seem to be very much variation in hair tone... obviously there's a ginger-whiskered guy front and centre but the other four guys it's possible to see all seem to have similar ash-blond tache-beard combos. But that really is quite a minor point. And it may be that the rest of the unit that we can't see have brown and black hair of course, I don't know. I really like the basing, it looks very Martian to me, very effective.

As for photography, looks fine to me; parts of it are in focus, and parts aren't, that's what happens if you get in really close. Melnibonean's right that otherwise you're have to come out and up the resolution, because at 2", the 1/2" depth of one mini, or even worse 2" gap between them, is going to change your focus by 25% or even 100%.

Quite lovely; I hope when I start painting my new Redoubt British, they look half as nice as these!

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 03:26:01 AM »
Painting critique: well, errm, it looks really excellent, the only things that strike me (because you've gotten very up-close-and-personal) are that it doesn't look like you've painted their eyes and that always helps to make a well-painted mini look fantastic (and a badly painted mini, as mine tend to be, look like an insane panda-clown, but never mind);

I rarely paint eyes, especially for rank and file. I'm not good at it, and I think they look better without googly eyes.

a slight criticism of the style might be that there doesn't seem to be very much variation in hair tone... obviously there's a ginger-whiskered guy front and centre but the other four guys it's possible to see all seem to have similar ash-blond tache-beard combos. But that really is quite a minor point. And it may be that the rest of the unit that we can't see have brown and black hair of course, I don't know.

The others do have brown and black hair...

I really like the basing, it looks very Martian to me, very effective.

I used very fine iron ore train ballast, mixed with some fine buff ballast for the rocks.

As for photography, looks fine to me; parts of it are in focus, and parts aren't, that's what happens if you get in really close. Melnibonean's right that otherwise you're have to come out and up the resolution, because at 2", the 1/2" depth of one mini, or even worse 2" gap between them, is going to change your focus by 25% or even 100%.

Quite lovely; I hope when I start painting my new Redoubt British, they look half as nice as these!

Thanks for the comments.

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
Re: Images of My Minis [Added: June 12, 2012]
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 12:26:04 AM »
British on Venus.

While usually attired in the traditional red coat, British soldiers on Venus have been forced to wear a khaki uniform. This is because the cloth must be treated with special chemicals to resist rotting. The chemicals color the cloth khaki, and keep it from accepting another dye. Hence, khaki uniforms on Venus. (This rationalizes the use of khaki painted troops I got off eBay as part of a package deal. They were well painted, but I really prefer the look of redcoats.)

HMLS Suffolk

More to come...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:43:59 AM »
Your troops look grand!  :-*

The steam tank is also really nice! Very nice paint scheme.

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:45:59 AM »
French Walker

This was purchased from Skrapwelder, but I changed the shield. The eagle is from His Imperial Majesty's Napoleon III's coat of arms. This is the first of my 25mm French VSF forces. Mechanized cuirassiers, pour l'empereur!

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 06:48:26 PM »
Good stuff. The walker looks great.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 01:37:03 AM »
Nice stuff!  :D

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »
Great!!