Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old West Architectural Reference Marterial?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline admiraldick

• Librarian
Old West Architectural Reference Marterial?
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »
does anyone know of any architectural reference material for buidings in the old west? books, websites, whatever?

i've had a quick scout through the advanced search and can't seem to turn anything up, and i've trawled through the interwebs on my own for a bit and come back fruitless, so i thought i'd make an actual post.

basically, i saw this page on Shifting Lands, and thought it would probably translate quite well to making shop fronts for buildings in my old west town (and would make them easily reproducable, meaning that creating enough for multiple or large tables shouldn't be too hard). but before i undertake the process i need some decent reference material. i would like to think i was being half accurate, rather than purely using my imagination. i've got quite a lot of photographs of modern reproductions and the odd few of historical buildings, but i'd like something a bit more precise. has anyone seen a book of architectual drawings from the period, or something similar?

Offline gringo

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Old West Architectural Reference Marterial?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »
Admiral

just a thought............"Battleflag" have just done some stunning

and i know these are based on original plans ...maybe you could

contact them. Battleflag.com

regards
Ged
www.gringo40s.com
www.gringo40s.blogspot.com ;)

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
Those are lovely buildings
Better to view here
http://www.wargame-buildings.com/old-west-models.html

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:06:23 AM »
Those are nice models but I think real world is better for research so try here:

http://www.bodie.com/

Very cool source and the one I use.  Visited there about a year and a half ago and loaded up on books and a local map.

Also, try googling Old West Towns (especially movie sets) to get some good ideas.

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 01:12:58 AM »
Knuckleduster's Cowtown Creator might be useful for you.

The Knuckleduster Cowtown Creator;
Create an Authentic Cowtown Setting For Any Western Role-Playing Game!
The Cowtown Creator provides you with all the information you need to design a Western town for your next role-playing campaign, short story, or penny dreadful. Each chapter covers a different type of institution or commercial establishment, providing the designer with a wealth of historical detail. Like the Firearms Shop, the Cowtown Creator is a UNIVERSAL SOURCEBOOK, containing over 200 pages of information for ANY GAME SYSTEM, including the 3rd edition of the world's most popular role-playing game! (Additional information is provided in a special appendix for both versions of Deadlands (TM) and FUDGE).
Featuring information NEVER BEFORE ASSEMBLED IN ONE VOLUME:
-A classification system for quickly generating a fictional town . . .
-Floor plans for saloons, dance halls, variety theaters, banks, blacksmiths, and other establishments . . .
-Rules for old gambling games like faro and vingt-et-un . . .
-Lists, lists, and more lists: saloon names, character names, drink names, and merchandise prices . . .
-Character descriptions and numerous historical anecdotes proving beyond doubt that TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION!
-SUPERBLY ILLUSTRATED with numerous maps, diagrams, historical photographs, period engravings, and original artwork.

http://www.knuckleduster.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1&category_id=2