Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689735
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Fanticide" New skirmish/warbands game: now on Kickstarter  (Read 19240 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Sounds intriguing  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
We've been playing a lot of Songs of Blades & Heroes recently (I love the fact that you can tuck two warbands and a bit of scenery in a small container and that's your whole game!) and another system with an open warband creation system intrigues me.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it and read the reviews when it comes out.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Does sound very interesting!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Good review Rob, where are the photos of the minis as the Indian Centaurs I guess are mods from the Eureka centaurs already out there, satyrs etc

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
where are the photos of the minis as the Indian Centaurs I guess are mods from the Eureka centaurs already out there, satyrs etc

Some here:
http://aliendungeon.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/fanticide-sneak-peak.html

others in the video clip (close up shots)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Hmmm, interesting, very interesting....
I like the prospect of just chucking everything in my collection in one big pile and gaming with it.  ;D
The "big names" involved raise quite some expectations for this game. I hope it lives up to it!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
More information has been posted about this game:
http://aliendungeon.blogspot.com.es/2012/05/is-this-war-band-structure-for.html

Details of the way warbands are structured.

Unfortunately (for me) they have developed a unit rather than individual based game. Troops must form into units armed and equipped the same rather than forming a band from a spearman, a swordsman, a bowman and a couple of axemen.
This is looking more like small unit Warhammer and less like the "Chaos Warbands" style of game I had hoped for from their initial hype.

From the details released so far I do not think you could do D&D style skirmish games with these rules, you certainly couldn't just pick a dozen mixed figures from your collection and make a warband. Maybe as more details are released there will be options for a true skirmish approach but as it stands now this is not the game I have been looking for.
 :(

Offline Andy H

• Librarian
Little early to be saying that, Rob  :)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
 Looking forward to seeing this come out.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
Little early to be saying that, Rob  :)

I said: "Maybe as more details are released there will be options for a true skirmish approach"
Andy, If you know that is the case please say so. Will Fanticide be able to handle a game of 10 or 12 individual adventurers (warriors, clerics, rogues)  in a monster filled dungeon or crypt?

If you have played or read Chainmail, Confrontation or the D&D Miniatures Handbook rules you will know the level of individual characterisation that I am looking for. I do not see the unit based structures of Fanticide warbands being close to that (not as they are described currently).
Chainmail, D&DH, Confrontation are really great games ( I would happily play them all) but they rely on a dedicated group of regular players who can learn and manage the minutia of details. They are not really suited to informal or pick up games.
I was hoping Fanticide would approach that level of characterisation and individuality but be easier for new players or gamers who only get together infrequently to get into.

Pitching a new set of rules at the level below Warhammer, Kings of War, Impetus Fantasy, Warlord et al is certainly valid and I am not knocking it. It is likely to make a lot of fantasy gamers very happy. Unfortunately that is not the level of game I am looking for.

Offline Andy H

• Librarian
Fairy muff. One thing I would say is that the team is very keen to expand and support the game and its open nature should very much allow for players to do that too.

All the best

Andy

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
I'm strangely drawn to this idea... not at all becasue of rules (I can easily tamper them to my own end any way) but because of the Indian centaurs! I mean really! I could see those models going all kinds of places ... even VSF in the Old West!  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
As much as the models for this look very nice I haven't the wonga at present to start collecting a new range.  A few of you have written that these rules will allow you to use whatever minis you have to hand.  Is that correct?  I see a background - 'Nowhere' - has been developed and this suggests to me defined races et cetera.  Oh, wait, hang-on, I've just read this on Alien Dungeon's blog:

Open Architecture and clear guidelines for building any kind of war band you want with figures you want to use…anything is possible in Nowhere!

Now I am interested!  You see, I'm a fantasy Nazi (or purist, if you like) and simply have to have my Goblins, Dwarves and Skeletons et al...

...its nihilisticly whimsical in a way you don't often see these days  :)

An appetite whetter if ever I heard one!

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
Perhaps you can use your own miniautures but in that case you will have to make all the cards for them.

Offline Andy H

• Librarian
Perhaps you can use your own miniautures but in that case you will have to make all the cards for them.

In my day you actually had to paint your own miniatures too!  :D