Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686610
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Fanticide" New skirmish/warbands game: now on Kickstarter  (Read 19177 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: "Fanticide" New skirmish/warbands game: More new details 06/08
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2012, 03:46:58 PM »
Sounds great!
Well, everybody knows stereotypical Orcs and Goblins, or Barbarians. Or you choose from your own minis and then show us them ;)
Duncan

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »
My understanding from the adverts and the forum questions is that:
All troops must be in units with set max/min numbers of troops.
All troops in a unit must be armed/equipped the same.
Units are either missile or melee, no mixed, with set max/min numbers of units.
A sword unit is the same as a spear unit for melee.
A longbow unit is the same as a handgun unit for missile.
Armies can have 1 monster.
Monsters cannot be units.
An army cannot be all monsters.

My starting point for how flexible is the warband creation process would be to ignore all those and see if the game will work just taking a warband (as us old enough to have played the GW warbands games know them) of a dozen individually armed/equipped figures, mix of humanoids, monsters, creatures.

My own wish is a set of rules that can:
Create alignment (rather than racial) based warbands for D&D Chainmail games.
Create a simplified form of Rackham Confrontation Dogs of War warband skirmishes.
Cope with a multi player dungeon bash.
Work for Mordheim games.

I was thinking along the lines of 1 figure "units" as being the way forward and ignoring all army structure rules? Reading the Fanticide Table Fable reports on the blog the rules used do not bear any relation to the rules being sold?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:03:23 PM by robh »

Offline Andy H

• Librarian
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »
Rob, when you refer to GW warband games, do you mean the truly vintage stuff like Realms of Chaos, where you generally have one or two heroes, three or four very small squads and a few big nasties (most of them generated by rolling on numerous d1000 tables!) or do you mean the more recent stuff like Mordhiem, where it is literally a dozen individual guys with more or less the same profiles but some variation in skills and kit?

I ask because if its the later you might need to bend the army selection procedd, or make up some of your own system to cover that sort of game. The core mechanics certainly support it (as seen in the Table Fables) but you'd have to use the power of Mental Thinking (tm) to put that together. I think Ernie said he's very much up for accepting player submitted content, so much like Mordhiem was a 'mod' for Warhammer there's almost certainly mileage in doing the same thing here and publishing it as a downloadable web article some time in the future.

Does that make sense?

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 02:25:40 PM »
I'm guessing Rob is referring to Realms of Chaos, and it's especially that that I'd hope for too.

Offline Andy H

• Librarian
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
I'm guessing Rob is referring to Realms of Chaos, and it's especially that that I'd hope for too.

That should be pretty easy then - I'll have a look at making an warband of mutant cultist types and see how it goes.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
That should be pretty easy then - I'll have a look at making an warband of mutant cultist types and see how it goes.
Sounds great!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »
Andy, It should be able to do both. Assuming mutations can be treated as either a weapon or a physical advantage/disadvantage. A flexible points system should be able to produce base human with skill and training just as easily as a mutated chaos spawn with 3 heads, no legs and spikes for arms. (and I loved the d1000 tables!)

My concern with the game is: If a warband is created that does not comply with the rules for army composition as I listed (I am assuming those are all correct....if not please advise otherwise), will the rules still work?

Or are the mechanics of combat/morale/activation etc dependent on having neat units of set numbers of troops all armed the same. 

I could build a viable (actually very good) warband for D&D Chainmail consisting of a wizard and 6 things Fanticide classes as monsters. Can I do that in Fanticide?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »
Fanticide has now been put onto "Kickstarter", apparently for the production of the card sets necessary to play the game and some spell templates.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1117201778/fanticide-a-tabletop-fantasy-skirmish-game

According to the project details the game launch is now October (goes back further every time).

There are one off pledges of $3000 and up yet still require non US backers to stump up $24 for postage.  >:(

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: "Fanticide" New skirmish/warbands game: now on Kickstarter
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2012, 12:55:35 PM »
Looking at the logo/poster on that kickstarter gives me the idea that this is for wargaming what The Expendables was for 80's action films.  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: "Fanticide" New skirmish/warbands game: now on Kickstarter
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »
Looking at the logo/poster on that kickstarter gives me the idea that this is for wargaming what The Expendables was for 80's action films.  lol

That's a bit mean, I quite liked some of the 80s action movies but the expendables was total crap. :P