Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:00:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690775
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggested bases?  (Read 4153 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Suggested bases?
« on: May 02, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
Hi all,

I picked up a core rulebook and two packs of miniatures for Strange Aeons at the comic expo here in Calgary over the weekend.  I grabbed the Threshold Agent 3 pack, and the Assorted Undead 1 pack.  It's very likely that I'll also purchase the starter bundle as well, so that I can round out my agent ranks, and have a few of those awesome cultists for them to battle!

I'm a new player to SA, but not new to miniature gaming.  Most of my experience in the hobby is with 40k, although I've dabbled a bit with Hordes as well.  With both of those games, the miniatures come with their own bases...unlike the SA stuff.  I don't know why, but I find that I prefer the 40k style better bases than the rounded ones, and I was wondering if anyone has a good source for purchasing them online in quantity?  The only place I've found that has them is Bitz Barn.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Suggested bases?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »
Welcome aboard, obsidian3d!

There are plenty of sources for the bases that you are looking for, but as I live on the other side of the pond, I will leave it to the guys nearer to you to make recommendations.

Personally, I use coins and MDF bases, as you will eventually need different sizes, and find these easier to match.

Welcome to the Cult!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:44:02 PM »
My personal preference since I abandoned GW and picked up alternative games a couple of years ago has been the 30mm round edged bases. I simply love how miniatures look like display models when standing on top of these. They are somewhat large though and may not be to everyone's liking.

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
Welcome to the madness!

Most people use washers and coins as bases, but I use the rounded type base (Hordes and Warmachine type) because it's easier to make scenic bases with those. Water just flows of the other types.
As for where you can get the 40K type bases I can't really say because I'm also in another part of the world.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline Ithaquatini

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:49:29 PM »
If  you want lots of 25mm bases try:
Armskeeper 25mm round.  20 bases for $2.39 or 80 bases for $7.99.
I prefer their 30mm rounded lip bases.  50 bases for $7.99
at Frpgames.com
They go quick for me, since I also use them to base Malifaux counters.
I guess it all comes down to personal taste, I also wanted to get away from GW, and the 30mm bases looked cooler in my opinion.  
EDIT:  they also sell bags of 40mm and 50mm rounds for larger creatures (I used a 40mm for my Reaper werewolf).
I like to finish the base edges (since they are larger than 40k ones) with satin varnish to give it a more professional look.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:21:26 PM by Ithaquatini »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:30:10 PM »
I have been enjoying the round lipped bases for my figures.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:05:04 PM »
I've been buying all my bases from Heresy for the past few years.  Even in bulk, it's a small package and postage from the UK has been extremely reasonable.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 10:11:07 PM »
Lipped bases are my preferred option for cthulhu gaming, further to that, Fenris Games have a great selection of resin bases very in keeping with the whole dark mythos thingymabob. (Geronimo here on the forum).

Cheers

The Commander

Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Meizter

• Bookworm
    • Gentlemen Wargamers
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »
I'll also join the choir chanting 30 mm lipped bases ;)

But truth be told I think they make the miniature look good, and also gives a bit more options when making a cenic base as posted above.
My miniature and wargaming blog: Gentlemen Wargamers

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 12:47:06 AM »
I based my first pack of Agents on some round 40k bases simply because that's what I had around the house.  Maybe I'll 'borrow' a few from some of my unfinished Hordes figures for the next batch so that I have something to compare them to and make a choice then.  Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 01:12:26 AM »
I found plastic bases became much too expensive a few years ago.  A trip to the local "Canadian Tire" netted me a pack of 12 x 1" washers for about 3 bucks.  They give the figures a bit more bottom weight, especially for the resin SA minis, and take paint, sand, glue and what-have-you very well.  Coins work well but Canadian coins tend to have ridges etc. on the edges (dimes, quarters, loonies, twoonies etc.) which I find distracting.  UM does have a great variety of styles and sizes of cast resin bases too...

Conclusion: Lots of options out there.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »
Hm...after putting the first base coat of black on my four agents, I'm starting to think that the round edge 30mm bases might be the way to go after all.  The 40k bases look great with the sci-fi / gothic GW models but something just doesn't look right when the Strange Aeons figures on on them.  Decisions decisions...  I'll need to pick up some to try out for comparison.

There's a Strange Aeons demo down at Trilogy Gaming club next week, so I'm hoping to chat with a few of the folks that come to that.  I'll be there anyway since I still run the weekly VS System tournies on Thursday.  Anyone else going to be there?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 08:42:22 PM »
Guess I will be the voice of dissent then...
I despise the 30mm round lipped bases, they are too obvious and impossible to hide.
Great for figures that sit in a display cabinet on a polished wooden plinth, but awful on the table or gameboard.

The standard style slottabase is much less intrusive, metal washers or coins even more so.

Offline Gundamentalist 5.56

• Scientist
    • http://www.theblackseal.org
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 08:56:52 PM »
I despise the 30mm round lipped bases, they are too obvious and impossible to hide.

QFT brother! Amen.

However as we are in a den of blasphemers perhaps we should leave quickly and quietly, and leave them to their ungodliness. They know not what they do...

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 09:07:14 PM »
QFT brother! Amen.

However as we are in a den of blasphemers perhaps we should leave quickly and quietly, and leave them to their ungodliness. They know not what they do...

Why you!!!