Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:27:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suggested bases?  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Re: Suggested bases?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 09:00:36 PM »
My oddball solution is "none and all of them".

I buy thin 23, 32 and 40 mm magnetic inserts from Litko. By themselves, they look like coin/washer bases and blend quite nicely into terrain. However, they also fit into the holes of plastic 30, 40 and 50 mm display bases. A medium-sized neodymium magnet under the plastic base will keep them together well enough for gaming, if the game system (and the opponent) absolutely requires it. Finally, the most common 23mm insert also fits on top of a flat 25mm round base, although that's rarely needed.

I still don't know whether this is a good idea. The as-is version is simple and looks good to me, though. Others are just a little bonus.

The price for small inserts is $12 / 100. I've seen worse.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
Guess I will be the voice of dissent then...
I despise the 30mm round lipped bases, they are too obvious and impossible to hide.
Great for figures that sit in a display cabinet on a polished wooden plinth, but awful on the table or gameboard.

The standard style slottabase is much less intrusive, metal washers or coins even more so.

Totally agree. I don't mind Warmachine-style bases on Warmachine miniatures as it fits the theme and size of the miniatures well, I don't like them on Pulp or Lovecraftian miniatures. Most of these miniatures are much smaller and the lipped bases look off on them.
I'm a washer-lover. They are small and blend in with the playing field better...I think it looks super for AAR's.
But of course, all a matter of taste :)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »
Totally agree. I don't mind Warmachine-style bases on Warmachine miniatures as it fits the theme and size of the miniatures well, I don't like them on Pulp or Lovecraftian miniatures. Most of these miniatures are much smaller and the lipped bases look off on them.
I'm a washer-lover. They are small and blend in with the playing field better...I think it looks super for AAR's.
But of course, all a matter of taste :)

I am in this ballpark.
I agree that flatter bases look better for gaming, and en masse.
The lipped bases are nice if looking at a figure individually, as many members have displayed them on here, but on the table flatter is best, in my opinion.

I have used standard slotta-type bases in the past, mainly for Mordheim, but that is mostly from a rules perspective, and because the rest of my group do, so they fit in with their miniatures better.

(As it looks like I will be providing most of the SA figures for my group's gaming, I have opted for coins, as it is my preferred option!)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »
Well it looks like I'm sticking with the 40k style bases after all.  When I picked up some more minis for Strange Aeons yesterday the shop owner gave me some Uncle Mike's custom bases to go along with them (it's nice to know nice people :).  They're almost exactly the same style as the 40k bases, so I'll be using a mix of standard 40k bases (customized a little with skulls and rocks and such), and the Uncle Mike's one.  After I got home I sat down and watched Pandorum while I cleaned everything up and based them all.

If anyone's interested I picked up Cultists 2, Cultists 3 and Threshold 2...to go along with my first two packs (Assorted Undead, Threshold 3 and HP Lovecraft promo).

I can't wait to get painting and play some games.  I'll start up a painting thread when I get some things underway.  Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Krysset80

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 08:57:09 AM »
I buy all my bases from Fenris, has all kinds of sices and skulpts.