Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Huntsman Spider Tank from Ramshackle  (Read 21414 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Huntsman Spider Tank from Ramshackle
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 08:08:42 AM »
Quote from: "Ramshackle_Curtis"
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"

Will you [or a stockist] be at Triples this year? Im a dedicated cheapskate & prefer to save on P&P if possible  :lol:

Yes I hope to be. I just emailed the organiser for more info!

When I confirm it you can put an order thorugh and choose "walk in store" as the delivery method. If you make a note in the order or email me  to remind me I will bring your model along to the show!

Anyway, the first orders went out today. Ive had load sof interest. Thanks to those whove bought the tank. PLEASE send me some images of what you do with it!

Great news! I'll definitely pre-order for the show, once confirmed.

Thanks very much  :D

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 07:39:08 PM »
My spider tank arrived yesterday. Unfortunately I was working away, so only got to open it this evening when I returned home.

My first impression was that this is a HUGE vehicle. The pictures on the website hadn't prepared me for the size of the thing.  Its big, mean and nasty - this will be the perfect for my VSF Prussian army (I'm building the army it in the style of the Girl Genius comic, so at least one big spider walker is essential).

Intitial thoughts on the kit are as follows:

The kit is made of a brittle resin with some flash that will take a while to clean on all the parts. I noted several air bubble holes on the legs, but these should fill easily.

The parts were delivered in a corrugated card box. The only protection was a couple of bags filled with shredded paper. With the resin being brittle I found that one of the leg claws had snapped off, but it was a clean break so will be easily repaired. I will almost certainly base this vehicle to provide better protection of the legs in a wargames environment.

Note for Ramshackle Games - please give some thought to better packing of the parts for postal deliveries.

The kit comes with a good colour instructions sheet with photos of the completed vehicle. I did a quick 'dry fit' of the key parts and they all seem to fit together nicely.

I bought the turretless version (the turret option doesn't look VSF enough for my preferences). The weapons supplied with my spider were a choice of close assault mandibles or bolter type guns to be mounted on the sides of the 'head'. Because of the size of the model, if you are going to get a turretless version I would recommend up-arming it by replacing the mandibles/bolters with heavier guns or keeping the mandibles and adding some sort of VSF heavy weapon on the body/head.

Overall I think this kit looks to be good value for the price. I am looking forward to putting this kit together. My wife is away this weekend, so hopefully I will be able to complete the assembly.

I also got the Isembard Kickass Brunel figure. This is a very nicely sculpted figure based on the famous photo of the real Mr Brunel (the photo with the ship chains and the cigar). In his right hand the figure holds a huge rail gun, attached to a large generator on the ground (on which he is resting one foot). I will add carrying handles to the generator and may do some rework on the gun to look more VSF (note to self - find some suitable figures to act as Brunel's assistants/weapon porters). Weapon options for the figure's left hand are a flare gun or a large powered spanner.

Because of the heavy weapon carried by this figure it will not be suitable for as many game uses as I had hoped - e.g. Gothic Horror. Request to Ramshackle Games - PLEASE can we have a second version of this figure without the rail gun and generator - perhaps armed with a large spanner or similar tool and hand gun.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »
Thanks for review Dave, very handy indeed. I was in two minds whether to buy one or not but I certainly will now.
Don't!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 08:32:15 AM »
Quote from: "Thunderchicken"
Thanks for review Dave, very handy indeed. I was in two minds whether to buy one or not but I certainly will now.

Agreed. The dastardly Prussians are going to be very well armed and extremely dangerous with three Spidertanks :wink:
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »
Agreed. The dastardly Prussians are going to be very well armed and extremely dangerous with three Spidertanks

Must give some thought to armaments this weekend - I had been thinking of a big electric weapon - possibly a magnetic-based weapon in honour of 19th century German mathematicians Gauss and Weber (early rail gun?).  (I'm saving lighning-type guns for the Brits - Faraday Electrostatic Guns)

I think I will paint my spider in a dark grey, similar to my steam car. This will have to have some sort of heraldic device for the commander.
[/code]

Offline nickinsomerset

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »
Oh well, I suppose it just had to come, one has been ordered and now who gets it? British, Prussians or French!

Tally Ho!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 02:45:13 PM »
Quote from: "Bullshott"
Agreed. The dastardly Prussians are going to be very well armed and extremely dangerous with three Spidertanks

Must give some thought to armaments this weekend - I had been thinking of a big electric weapon - possibly a magnetic-based weapon in honour of 19th century German mathematicians Gauss and Weber (early rail gun?).  (I'm saving lighning-type guns for the Brits - Faraday Electrostatic Guns)

I think I will paint my spider in a dark grey, similar to my steam car. This will have to have some sort of heraldic device for the commander.
[/code]

If you decide to build a new super-weapon, please post some pics as I must admit to being stumped for ideas on this. The gun is fine for later "periods", but  not really for my idea of VSF. I may try & dream up some sort of mega-flame-thrower, as I'm going to use mine for my resident Evil Genius's army & flame-throwers are particularly nasty [and unstable] weapons.

If its a good one, I will of course shamelessly copy your idea & refuse to acknowledge your genius  :lol:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »
Got mine as well. Got the exact  same thing with packaging and the snapping of one of the pieces. Should be an easy fix, so I'm not too fussed. :)

Mine will be used for Weird West though.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 06:20:48 PM »
Hey thanks for the feedback Bullshott. I got some other complaints about the packaging too and am now packing them better! Sorry for the leg problem, I can send you a replacement leg if you want.

Anyway, I hope you put up some pictures of it when its done. I,d love to see it!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 10:19:54 PM »
8)
Hey thanks for the feedback Bullshott. I got some other complaints about the packaging too and am now packing them better! Sorry for the leg problem, I can send you a replacement leg if you want.

Thanks Ramshackle_Curtis, but it was a clean brreak so will be fine. I will probably base the whole tank to protect the legs.

Update on my tank so far:

The sides of the pieces where the resin was poured into the mould were unfinished on my tank (unlike some of the more established manufacturers such as Ironclad and GZG, who grind these flat). With the large pieces and complex construction involved you need to take time to sand these down to ensure flat surfaces. I used my Dremel rotary tool with a sanding accessory. This was by far the quickest way to obtain flat surfaces without risk of damage to the pieces (but it did creat a lot of resin dust, so consider wearing a mask if you do this).

Because of the number of large and heavy pieces I made sure that I let the glue on each section set fully before attempting to glue the next section. I used a good 2-part epoxy glue (Araldite) which, although it does not dry quickly, did ensure that any cavties in the mating surfaces were filled.

The only problem I had was that the two leg supports to be attached to the sides of the body were identical (rather than being left and right-handed pieces). It took some tome to re-work one of these to fit, followed by minor cocmetic rework on the other so that the two sections had a similar appearance. I will probably add some detailing to hide where I did the rework on these pieces.

Because I used a slow setting glue I ran out of time over the weekend and haven't had a chance to work on the tank this week. Next weekend I will use greenstuff to fill a few air bubble holes I noticed, together with various gaps left during assembly of the body section. I will also assemble and fit the legs. I will pin the ball joints on the legs into the body to give added strength.

After that I need to consider how I will arm the tank. I really like the mandibles on the sides of the head, but need to come up wuth a suitable gun or guns. I'm taken with the idea of a magnetic cannon, but will see what the finished tank looks like before making my final choice.

Offline nickinsomerset

• Librarian
Ramshackle Spider Tank
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 12:15:11 PM »
The beast arrived this morning, all complete! What a beast and lovely detail, pity the driver will have to be shuit away for looking too Sci-Fi ish! I visualise some Victorian chaps beavering away over large leavers and dials etc.

Anyway think I will paint mine as Prussian, however as I believe a number are already entering the service of the Prussians, so mine will have been captured and fly a large Union Jack!

Tally Ho!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Ramshackle Spider Tank
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 12:33:46 PM »
Quote from: "nickinsomerset"
The beast arrived this morning, all complete! What a beast and lovely detail, pity the driver will have to be shuit away for looking too Sci-Fi ish! I visualise some Victorian chaps beavering away over large leavers and dials etc.

Anyway think I will paint mine as Prussian, however as I believe a number are already entering the service of the Prussians, so mine will have been captured and fly a large Union Jack!

Tally Ho!

Pressed into the service of Her Majesty the Queen(Gaud Bless 'Er) Hurrah :)
Captured at the batte of Kew Bridge no doubt :mrgreen:

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
Re: Ramshackle Spider Tank
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 01:42:19 AM »
Quote from: "nickinsomerset"

Tally Ho!

Paroom Station makes some nice Masked Minion vehicle drivers who would look very appropriate. Eureka has airship crewmen pulling on levers, carrying spanners and fiddling with oil cans who could add to the effect. Their resin steamtank also comes with a pith helmeted driver who would go quite well. You can see him here (he's the painted one, not the unpainted tank):

http://cthulhumonkey.com/blog/index.php?page_id=10&album=1&gallery=3

He's a little out of focus, but it at least gives the idea.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 10:01:09 AM »
Eureka has airship crewmen pulling on levers, carrying spanners and fiddling with oil cans who could add to the effect. Their resin steamtank also comes with a pith helmeted driver who would go quite well.

The steam tank is actually manufactured for Eureka by Ground Zero Games (supplied by GZG without the driver). If anyone in UK or other parts of Europe wants to buy to this tank the best place place to go is direct to GZG, since Eurekas's distributor Fighting 15s do not stock the tank.

http://www.gtns.net/store1/commerce.cgi?product=VSF&exact_match=on&cart_id=3030192.24393

This reminds me that I must finish 3 of these on my painting table (for my Japanese Ashigaru steam charger squadron).

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
  • So evil, he'll steal teddy bears from kids
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 08:25:34 AM »
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Got mine on Monday and can confirm it is a huge model and seems to be very nice but the REALLY BAD packaging cause a lot of breakage.
The legs are a puzzle cause all off them a broken and it is very hard to figure out what goes where cause the breaks are not clean anymore. One of the mandibles is beyond repair and lots of bits and pieces have broken off and all the parts have obviously banged against each other and caused a lot of little splinters that are impossible to fit into the original places. The breaks are not clean anymore because additional parts have broken off where the first break occurred. basically all of the parts have suffered some damage (well the big boiler seems ok) I know it was shipped half way round the globe to me here in Down Under, but that was known before and then it maybe has to be packed even better

So I must say that I am very disappointed  :x  , because a little better packaging would have caused much less trouble, cause I need to do a lot of glueing and puzzling...

:cry:

I am aware that 2 of the legs come in parts and these are not in the picture.
Ex-Kieler in Down Under