Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: If you were to build a diorama...  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
If you were to build a diorama...
« on: January 30, 2008, 01:03:09 AM »
Speaking purely theoretically here: If you were to build a diorama, what would it be? Presume you'd be making the diorama purely for it's own sake; While the individual miniatures may (or may not) be detachable so they can be used for gaming, this would be beside the point.

I'd build a Zorro diorama using some of these:

Something along the lines of Zorro, together with the local Dons and a band of peons, forcing the gates of the Comandante's fort to free the jailed Señorita. That would be really cool :)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 02:36:24 AM »
:love: Yes, that would be very cool.  However, the game boards being produced and shown off by many Europeans on this forum are so incredible that they are closer to being a diorama than to the bare bones gaming terrain that many people use in my country.  It's as if these masters are producing dioramas and then using them to game! :o
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:25:33 AM »
Quote from: "warrenbruhn"
:love: Yes, that would be very cool.  However, the game boards being produced and shown off by many Europeans on this forum are so incredible that they are closer to being a diorama than to the bare bones gaming terrain that many people use in my country.  It's as if these masters are producing dioramas and then using them to game! :o

If that were not so true, I would laugh. As it is, I just cry.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:18:46 AM »
I've got a couple that have been percolating for decades...

1 - A full blown ACW assault on a fortified position, like Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg, when Armistead reaches the guns
2 - Indian attack on a stagecoach, as in John Ford's 'Stagecoach'
3 - Castle siege
4 - Rorke's Drift, in scale
5 - Siege of the Legations at Peking, Boxer Rebellion
6 - Roman Milecastle, Hadrian's Wall, with full garrison (with only about 30 figures required, this one may actually be feasible)
7 - etcetera, etcetera, etcetera

See, nothing fancy!  :roll:
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:48:16 AM »
I used to do a lot of LotR dioramas; it is actually how I came into The Hobby. I still have a site somewhere. I have sort of left that behind me, mostly because static pieces like that hog too much space. Another thing is that they are a bit like jigsaw puzzles: fun to put together but has declining interest once its completed. These days I find that I can paint gaming miniatures to high enough standard to look good and still stand up for normal wear and tear. Good looking gaming scenery is as satisfying or more as any diorama.

That said, I liked doing some of the fiddly bits in materials which just wouldn't survive on a gaming board.

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 04:38:51 PM »
1) A huge sprawling city-scape, with every street packed with ravenous undead. Right in the middle would be a lone group of survivors with two of them trying to start a car with jumper leads. The title would be just "Bol***ks!"

2) As above except replace the Zombies with Daleks. The Tardis would be in the middle of the scene with the Doctor trying to get the door open. The title would also be "Bol***ks!"

:mrgreen:
Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
That skyscraper-aerodrome thingy shown elsewhere, with armoured zeppelins launching assault troops and trying to capture it.

Or some episode in the great siege of 1565.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »
The final moments in the Alamo, with the Mexicans coming over the walls. :)
Or on a massive scale the desperate fighting at Isandlwana as the camp is overun. so thats twenty thousand Zulus I need to paint :o
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »
I've always wanted to do up a nice Custer's last stand diorama. Old Glory even have a pack tailor made for it that is pretty good. I've just never figured out  where I would store it. I thought about building a coffee table with a glass top to keep it in, but I know it will just get covered with books like everything else in my house.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
I thought about building a coffee table with a glass top to keep it in, but I know it will just get covered with books like everything else in my house.

I've had the same idea. I don't think it matters much that you tend to cover it from time to time, You'd get bored watching it all the time anyway.

Offline pnweerar

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »
Religious pieces.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
The assault on the Sambre-Oise Canal, in November 1918. Royal Engineer parties attempt to bridge the lock while Lewis gunners run across the lock gates, spraying fire at the Boche, determinedly holding on in the lockhouse. Somewhere, in an out of the way corner of the scene, another local hero (Oswestry man), and my favourite war poet, breathes his last.

Actually, I'd much rather build it to game the assault, rather than just as a diorama, thinking about it. Either way, I don't have the patience or skill required to build a canal, lock gates and the lockhouse.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...