Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - Bones werewolf  (Read 24710 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - Bones werewolf
« on: May 08, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »
There's so much great painting going on here that I thought I'd join in, but I haven't actually painted any of my Strange Aeons stuff yet.  So my first post will be terrain pieces, but I'll follow it up with progress on miniatures as well as I get them done.

A little info about the terrain pieces...  I've always wanted to make my own terrain, but didn't really know where to start.  So I when I started playing 40k a few years ago I bought the "How to Make Wargame Terrain" book and read it through.  I picked up a few scene-a-rama kits (by Woodland Scenics) but never bothered to do anything with them; they just sat collecting dust on my shelf.  Last week I was digging through stuff and found the rock making kit I had and thought, 'what the hell, let's try it out.'  So that was the catalyst for all the stuff you see below.  Oddly enough, I didn't remember that I had that scenery book until AFTER I'd built everything except the temple!

I started out with the intention of just building the little mountain with the waterfalls / pool on it, but I had tons of cast rocks left over.  Since I already had the styrofoam and cutters out I decided to just keep going.  So I've ended up with a mountain, a temple, two 2" high stepped hills, three smaller 1" high hills, and four smaller terrain bits.  The trees are ho-scale Woodland Scenics trees that I picked up on Sunday when I went to buy flocking.  I ended up with the trees and foam, but forgot the flocking!  Oops.

The temple just sort of came to mind while I was building the mountain on Sunday.  I remembered seeing a big temple on someone's website years ago (albeit MUCH bigger than what I built) and thought a little temple for my cultist to perform sacrifices and summoning rituals would be fun to have.  The whole thing from design to construction took me a little under 3 hours.

All the scenery you see was built over the course of two evenings...probably totalling around 8 hours of construction time.  I'm pretty happy with it all so far, especially so since I've never done this before.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:02:47 AM by obsidian3d »
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: obsidian3d's painting and modelling thread
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 04:42:50 PM »
Great start on the altar, looking forward to seeing more  :)

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »
Great looking scenery, great start to the alter and looking forward to seeing your painted minis!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline Meizter

• Bookworm
    • Gentlemen Wargamers
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:47:06 PM »
Looking good and certainly looking forward to seeing how the temple construction will progress with paint etc.
My miniature and wargaming blog: Gentlemen Wargamers

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
Very nice start with very good looking scenery.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 10:03:03 PM »
That is an impressive, industrious and promising start.
Looking forward to seeing it progress, especially that Temple!
 :-*

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:42:27 AM »
Nice start!
Please share more as thing progress.  :D

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 08:14:33 AM »
Great start! Can't wait to see more 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 05:13:01 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement folks.  I've got another evening's worth of updates to share.

The final piece of hill terrain, and the temple, with black base coat.

A closer view of the temple steps.

The first and second (almost) finished pieces of grassy terrain.  I painted brown over my black base coat, dry brushed the rock formations to my liking and added some medium tallus, and some sand in a few spots.  After that stuff dried I added some patchy static grass to finish things off.  I may dry-brush the visible brown areas and small stones to give it a final touch, but am otherwise quite happy with how it looks so far.

One question I do have is how to seal the pieces after I'm done.  The static grass and trees are quite fragile, what would you recommend I use to spray things with to make them a little more durable for gaming?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
Great stuff, obsidian3d!

You are making good progress on these.
You have reminded me that I need more natural terrain myself. Most of mine was made for Mordheim, so not so much of the natural stuff like trees and hills etc..

Regarding your question- Not sure about spraying anything on, but PVA or wood glue should give you a pretty solid bond and seal the item at the same time. Terrain can never be protected 100% but the best way to protect it is to make each item or group of items to fit a specific box for storage.
All of my terrain, bar the really large items, are designed to fit into A4 paper boxes, so they are not bouncing around or knocking against each other. They also stack nicely this way and make storage easier.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »
I did a little digging around and it sounds like the Woodland Scenics Scenery Glue is probably my best bet.  It sounds like it's a sprayable mixture of pva glue and water that dries with a matt finish and doesn't clump.  I'm not sure, but I'm betting this is the same stuff in my shrubbery kit that I have sitting on the table.  I had just thought it was for attaching the stuff to the table, not for sealing it all after.  But, in retrospect I suppose it's all the same thing really.

No pictures today.  I spent most of my evening painting base coats of Calthan Brown on the rest of my terrain pieces.  I ran out, leaving just the mountain left with it's Chaos Black undercoat.  I haven't decided on the colors for the temple yet, but I'm leaning towards a dark to medium grey stone with some moss and undergrowth surrounding it.  Might do vines or chains or something if I can figure out something that I like.

I do hope to have another progress shot (or ten) after the weekend.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »
Another very productive weekend!  Not only was the weather here beautiful, and thus a great chance to finally get my motorcycle out on the road...I also got some more work done on my miniatures.  I had to go to the mall to the Apple store, and decided to stop in at the Games Workshop on the way.  I picked up the awesome looking "Garden of Morr" set, and some primer.  I spent a fair bit of time Sunday enjoying the sun and priming dozens of items that were impatiently waiting for it.

In the evening after the sun had gone away I plunked down at the table and set to work on my other terrain.  I was able to get everything painted with the earth-brown base colours as well as a first coat of grey on all of the stone faces.  I'm still working my way up in size on the terrain pieces, but they're certainly coming along.  Here are the next two finished bits:

A tree, and a rock.

Two trees...and a rock.

I did do these two pieces a little bit differently from the first two.  I paid a little more attention to the smaller scree and gravel with my painting, so it blends in better with the larger rocks.  I also used bleached bone as my final dry brush color instead of the skull white.  I think the effect is more understated and blends together better than the first two pieces.

I'll keep working my way up, and then I can finally start on my agents and cultists!  And that temple. :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:27:41 PM by obsidian3d »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »
Great looking stuff and yes, that Garden of Moor set is amazing....every time I see someone paint it it is different each time...

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
Well I haven't gotten started on the Garden of Moor set...it's several items down on my to-do list.  I spent part of my evening last night touching up all of my Strange Aeons minis.  Being white, even with two coats of primer on them there was still some white peaking through.  But that's all fixed up now and I'll be getting started on those next week.  Until then, I have terrain to build!

A tree...and a big rock.

Three *gasp* spruce trees this time.

As you might have noticed, I started out with the smaller terrain bits and am moving my way up to the more complicated items.  So far I'm really happy with all the stuff, but looking back at the two pieces I did last night, the one with the spruce trees could have a little less grass on it.  But...it's done now.

And while I was in the Strange Aeons mood, I placed a big order with Bob Murch last night.  I'm expecting 18 new cultists, a cult leader, a few maniacs, a Nazi commander and some troopers, some apes, and a few more agents to bolster the ranks.  I'm hopeful that they'll arrive before my birthday at the end of the month, since I'm really not far geographically from where Bob lives.  Can't wait!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:55:52 PM by obsidian3d »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »
Great stuff, obsidian3d!
You are doing a cracking job with the production line of scenery.
 :-*

Your shopping list from Pulp sounds mouth-watering.
Cant wait to see them painted up!