Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:32:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - Bones werewolf  (Read 24852 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: obsidian3d's painting and modelling thread
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »
Two more pieces to add to the collection:

I just have one more (very easy) piece to finish before I tackle my mountain, then it's on to the temple.  I'm hoping to get the mountain finished this weekend.  Since it's a holiday weekend here, I may even get some work done on the temple.  Almost there... :D
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 05:43:24 PM »
Keep going, mate.
It is all looking good so far.
 :-*

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 11:40:29 AM »
Looking fantastic and looks like it's relatively easy to do...maybe I'll also try making terrain once more.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 08:24:24 AM »
If I can do this...anybody can.  It's way easier to do than I thought.

Somewhat related to the terrain I've been building: my birthday is coming up, so my gf arranged a pretty cool gift for me.  We were at the GW shop last week and I was looking at the modular 6x4 table they have.  She asked if I wanted one and I almost said yes, but I thought we should ask around a bit first.  My friend suggested I come in to their store and have a look at the Zuzzy mat samples they had and wow was I impressed.  After showing her the samples we decided that I should get one of those instead.

But, after we came back from our regular Sunday trip to brunch...she asked me which ones I wanted.  Plural.  So we ordered four 6x4 mats from Zuzzy, which will allow me to do all the different terrain boards I wanted: snow, desert, urban and woods/grassland.  I'm pretty excited about it, and yes...I'm lucky. :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Very lucky, indeed!

They are lovely and do I plan on buying a couple in the future.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:05 PM »
She's a keeper! Lucky bastard. My wife treats me pretty good when it comes to the hobby. My 40th is rolling close and she is going to let me do a shopping spree.

Post a link to the Zuzzy mats and some pics of yours.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
Well I wasn't able to get all the terrain pieces done.  The weather was excellent, so when I wasn't painting the hallway in my place, I was trying to go do stuff outside (terrifying I know).  I did get another terrain piece done, though I'm not that happy with it.  I think it needs some deadfall or shrubbery to make it work.  Luckily I plan on adding some of that to almost all the pieces I've shown here so far.  But don't worry, I won't post up individual pictures of those additions.  Grassy hills and trees can only keep ones interest for so long.

Now for those of you who have lost interest in green space and shrubbery, I have some images to tease you with.  I went on a bit of a "buy myself birthday presents" spree last week.  Here's what has recently landed at my house:

Assorted miniatures.  Most of these are RAFM Call of Cthulhu figures (all sculpted by Bob Murch I believe).  There's Jocelyn and Edward, plus a pair of dimensional shamblers (and their rabid monkey).  I also grabbed a trio of ghouls.  When I put them together I decided to base all three of them, even though one of them actually should be standing inside the grave.  I thought the grave would make a great grave marker for our Strange Aeons games.  I'll need to find a decent size base and fill it up with some hobby sand and a skull or two.  The big fellow dressed all in white is a werewolf from Reaper miniatures BONES line.  I found it by happy accident.  It's a resin model that cost me a whopping $1.99...and is all kinds of awesome looking.

More Call of Cthulhu excellence.  I almost didn't pick this up from the top shelf where it was sitting because the front image wasn't all that interesting.  However, when I looked at the back of it...I was immediately sold.  Prof Armitage, a police officer and his dog, old man Whatley, Lavinia and her brother...plus the great big ugly monster.  That's seven amazing miniatures for $20.  I think most of them will end up as civilians or agents, but I'm not sure yet.  Also, these are more of Bob Murch's work according to the package.  Are you detecting a pattern here?

Just when you thought it was safe to move on to the next thread...ZOMBIES!  Another impulse purchase.  Not Bob's work, but from RAFM's sculpting crew.  There are a dozen undead in this box, with two repeats.  A few of them won't be good for Strange Aeons because they're TOO modern, but I need a few figures to round out the zombie horde for my copy of Zombie Plague (great print and play game).  Besides, they're zombies...who cares what you use them for, they're just plain cool. :P

And finally, don't hate me because I'm awesome...

This stuff was ordered on Friday morning and arrived Tuesday.  Bob is super fast when it comes to shipping.  Of course it doesn't hurt that I only live a few hours away, so post from there doesn't take long at all.  If you can't tell what's in the pile there are two packs of Cowled Cultists, Hooded Minions 1 & 2, Weird Villains, Killer Apes, a pack of Gestapo Troopers...and a Cheap Magic Act.

So much stuff to base and paint...I need to buy a ton of bases, because I'm out. :(  But I'm not sad because there's so much fun new stuff to play with! :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
 :o :o :o

What a lovely collection of presents you have.
I have a large amount to finish off myself, but now I feel so much better about my pile as yours is bigger and it makes mine look much more managable.

No, wait. On second thoughts, I am now jealous!

Enjoy the loot!
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 06:46:23 PM »
Well I neglected to photograph the 7 Threshold Agents, 6 cultists, and undead pack 1 from Uncle Mikes, and several converted horrorclix figures that are also awaiting my attention.  Oh and I have something like...seven 40k armies in various states of construction, and a Circle army for Hordes.  I should probably never buy another miniature again because these will likely never all get painted in my lifetime.  But I know that won't happen. :P

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
Wow! What a lovely pile of plunder you have there! I am hoping to get the same for my Birthday! Whoo! The big 40...ugh  :'(

I should be posting my Reaper Bones Werewolf soon. I just finished him last night, so I hope to post a pick of him soon enough. I like the figure overall, the resin is a bit "soft" and the tail appears to have been added after the model was molded to avoid the tail breaking off. I did leave mine out in the Florida sun for a few mins and the resin got SOFT really fast...I had to put it in the freezer to firm it back quickly. I was afraid it was going to melt or distort. Be warned, Bones DOES NOT LIKE HEAT.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »
I did notice it was a little soft, and his tail looks a little raccoon-like...but I'll live with it.  It's a great sculpt for the price!

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
It paints up nicely and for the price as you said. Hard to beat!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 06:59:05 PM »
No photo update today, but I did start painting some figures last night.  I'm tired of the terrain building too (even though I do want to get it all finished up) so I rattled through my box of primed and based Strange Aeons stuff.  I decided that I'd paint up a single cultist of my six to try out the color scheme I had in mind.  It's looking pretty good and I just have to do a few highlights and/or a quick drybrush to finish it off.  After that the base will only take a few minutes.  I'll post one up tomorrow, or more if I can get a few of them done all at once.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 02:42:24 AM »
I spent most of the afternoon on Sunday working on some new stuff and finishing a couple of other items.  Here's the last bit of terrain finished up.

I started and finished this all on Sunday.  I wanted to try out the water effects that I had on something easier than a river and waterfalls.  It turned out really well, but the water stuff was thicker than I'd expected, so it was hard to brush around.  I wanted the water to be deeper, but it still looks good enough for me.

The temple finished.  It still looks unfinished, but after spending a ton of time messing with dead grass, mixed grass, green grass, rocks and finally some weeds/twigs I was tired of it.  I'd love to add a few torch stands on either side but I don't know where to find such a thing.  There is an altar, but I forgot about it so it's not even painted yet.  I'm still considering painting an elder sign in the middle and adding some bloodstains or a dark wash.  Feel free to make some suggestions!

The piece that started this whole batch of madness.  I'm really happy with how this turned out.  It looks almost exactly as I pictured it in my head before I started building it.  I've still got to add the waterfalls and some more frothy water effects, but I have to wait until the resin sets completely first.

I also ended up adding some brush and bushes to a few of the pieces I had already completed.  You can see an example of that on the pond.  Not everything got underbrush, but since there are a total of twelve pieces of terrain, you can understand why I wouldn't have.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 02:58:54 AM »
Finally some figures.  Sort of.  I started of by working through my horroclix collection to see if there were any figures I could make use of.  Here are a few of the pieces I am going to use.

Since I am not enamored with the UMW fishmen models I decided to use these instead.  I've always thought the Deep Ones were pretty cool figures.  I didn't have to do any painting on these.  The bases look a lot better in person than this picture.  I used some of my water FX to blend the splash into the base and butted it up against some wet sand and grass.  It actually looks pretty good and I hope to add a Brine Witch to them if I can track one down.

A mummy that I've rebased to match all of the Lurkers I'll be doing for Strange Aeons.  I gave this guy a dark red wash and then dry brushed it to brighten up the details.  I'm happy with this one considering it took almost no work to do.

A ghost wearing a straight jacket just seemed to scream Strange Aeons to me, so I rebased it and here we go.  A very light dry brush on the coat to pick out some more details is all that I did here.

A vampire model that I've always liked.  He'll now serve the Lurkers as a night gaunt.  This model got two coats of wash, one black then one dark red.  Two coats of varying shades of dry brush has him all finished.

Another ghost.  This one is from the starter set I think.  I'm going to use his as a restless spirit, so the big demon tree (also from the starter set) seemed extremely well suited for each other.  A tiny bit of dry brushing on the hood, and a black wash on the tree (plus a rebasing of course) and they're all finished up.

Yes, there are Threshold Agents on the way too.  This one will probably be a special agent, possibly a spell caster since he has that lovely book in his hands.  This model really needed some work to bring out the details.  I did a few levels of dry brushing, followed by a wash, then more dry brushing and another wash plus a few little details picked out.  I think he looks ready to fight evil!

And the last of the converted for now:

A witch and her familiar.  I'm really sad that the photo isn't that great.  When I bought the dimensional shambler models last week I was excited to find a tiny little monkey model in there.  I based him up and painted him to serve as the familiar to my witch.  She needed two coats of wash and two different colors of dry brush to bring her up to snuff, but I think she'll do nicely...when serving the forces of evil.  I may add a few more familiars to her bestiary at some point.