Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686510
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - Bones werewolf  (Read 24711 times)

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Re: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - pic of new agent added
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2012, 02:46:53 AM »
Nice collection!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - pic of new agent added
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
Re-posted from my blog here (http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2012/11/serpent-worshippers-for-strange-aeons.html)

Last week Uncle Mike and James made their regular monthly visit to Trilogy, despite the awful weather we were having. I was the only player to show up (which is not unusual), so we ran through a few play test games of Kulten. I was playing with an unpainted army, and these are play test games, so there are no photos...sorry folks.

The first game was a "chance encounter" between my Nazi Death Cult and James' Cobra troopers. I rolled five of my cultists onto the table and James got a measly three. A few bad moves by me allowed James to take out three of my figures, dropping me to below 50% of my starting members and won him the game. In the post-game phase I was able to roll up skills on both of my surviving cultists, which worked out really well for me, and I didn't end up with any lasting or terrible injuries to worry about.

Just a note however, that James' Cobra army/cult is really cool looking. He's done a great job converting all kinds of stuff, and the most recent additions were Destro and the Crimson twins. Great looking stuff. In retrospect I should have at least taken a few good photos of that stuff...

The second game was against Uncle Mike's dudes and we rolled up a fight scenario. My mad scientist created a Blasphemous Construct on my very first roll of the game, which actually isn't as great sounding as one would think. Due to the way the board was laid out, I couldn't really move him into combat without risking him causing fear among my own ranks. Mike misplayed moving one of his two command models into the fight though, and I was able to tie it up with my remaining normal zombie long enough to allow my Dr. Kroene to charge in and take it down. Once that had happened we played a few more rounds before Mike capitulated. He didn't have anything that would be able to take down the construct, and I would be spending move after move trying to chase his guys down.

It's always fun playing against those guys, so thanks again for coming out, and of course...to you folks reading this, don't forget to go pick up the latest expansion for Strange Aeons that came out last month!

After playing a few games of Kulten I got it in my head that I needed another cult list to play with. I'm getting a little tired of playing games with my red and gold garbed guys, even though I think they look great. I thought about finishing off my Nazi Death Cult, but for some reason decided to plough through something entirely different: Serpent Worshippers!

I took a pack of Pulp Figures cultists and altar (sculpted by the amazing and friendly Bob Murch), and a pack of Uncle Mike's serpent men, using them to put together a nice 37 point cult list. I can also run them as a 15 point cult for Strange Aeons if I only use the snake priest. Even though the pictures (as per usual) are not that good, I think the figures turned out great. Here's what I ended up with.

Pointy Sam

Stabby Sam

Hallelujah Sam

Bookish Sam

The Altar of Evil Prayers

Happy Snakeman

Smiley Snakeman

Snakeman Demagogue

(Snake)Men at Work

There are a bunch more photos available on Photobucket here: http://s66.beta.photobucket.com/user/Obsidian3d/library/Kulten/Serpent%20Cult
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: obsidian3d's Strange Aeons thread - Snake Worshipper cult
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »
Great additions to your collection, obsidian3d!

You have done a fine job on both the Cultists and Snakemen.
Very atmospheric picture at the end. The plants in the background have really helped the scene play out.

I see that you have a habit very similar to ours regarding your Cultists.
Where you call them Sam, we refer to them as Bob. All of them!
Our Asylum Guards are all called Butch, by the way....

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »
Haha I do that too. My arcane seekers (red robed cultists) are all called Bob. My Nazi Death Cultists are all properly named, but I was having a hell of a time remembering who was who, so I think they'll all just be Karl from now on.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. :)

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu. Cthulhu never changes.
    • Superfly Circus - Board Games And Social Commentary
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »

I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.."
www.superflycircus.blogspot.com
Board Game Reviews And Social Commentary At Its Finest

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2012, 09:45:20 PM »
They look great obsidian. I particularly like how you did the yellow. I hate painting yellow.
Have you had much luck with the snake men?
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
I haven't had a chance to play them yet. I have never used the snakeman profile, which is part of why I wanted to make this group.

The yellow turned out ok. It's GW Iyanden Darkson with a gryphonne sepia ink, then a drybrush of army painter demonic yellow. The ink was a little darker than I'd intended but still looks decent.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2012, 07:39:40 PM »
Yeah, I really love the browner yellow look. I tried a yellow cultist and it was to the point that it took so many coats to get CLOSE to the color I wanted that I ended up stripping it and going with bright orange.

What I really need to find is a good white primer. Seems like every white primer I've used thus far is complete rubbish. I've had people swear by the cheap Krylon sort, but there's just something blasphemous about putting that on these sorts of miniatures. A proper primer and all that...

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2012, 07:51:34 PM »
These were all primed black to start with, although I'm sure white would have worked a little bit better. The older GW foundation paints (in the rounded bottles) cover really well. In fact they're too thick and need to be watered down so that they don't clump. I like the Iyanden darksun as a yellow, which isn't quite so primary, but there aren't a lot of things that I need to paint yellow overall. However, I'm sure when that pot finally runs out I'll discover just how useful it really was!

I found my UMW snake swarms, and another Heroclix figure which will work well as a cult leader. She was sitting on an awful sculpt of a coiled snake (looked like a large piece of sh!t, was even the right color). I ripped her off of that and now have to find something appropriate to put her on. I doubt I'll get around to adding these figures before the new year, but it's nice to know that the snake worshippers ranks will be growing.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:22 PM »
Dude, get out of here with that "they might've turned out better" rubbish! Those really look superb!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2012, 11:50:11 PM »
Thanks much. I'm very happy with them and am looking forward to playing a game with them as soon as possible!

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2012, 09:55:53 PM »
Love them - the yellow is very effective indeed.
Like the fact that they all have secret Cult Names - do they all answer to "Sam I am"?  :D

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2012, 10:20:12 PM »
Well, if they ever spoke that'd be likely...however I think the only one who speaks is the dude with the book, but it's mostly hissing and gurbling, which is probably just him trying to read that book out loud!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2013, 06:14:31 PM »
I totally forgot to mention that I did have a chance to use these figures in a game against Uncle Mike. The snake men are very fast, but fragile. I lost one of the two support pieces (squished dead). The generic cultists are not supportive enough to protect them, other than service as meat-shields.

I intend to add the human cult leader and swarms as I mentioned previously. I've got some cowled cultists (also Bob Murch figures) that I can kit out with some better weaponry too. More than likely I'll add three heavier guns, but I'll have to check what kind of kit they have...

If I need some more rend-and-tear power I might have to consider a fishman or two.

Hopefully the next outing for the hiss-factory will go a little better.

Offline superflytnt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »
I'll tell you, having 4 cultists with buffed CON and DEX, two of whom are armed with the crew-served .30 cal and a cult leader is just NASTY.

I have yet to survive an engagement against that setup. Add a Blasphemous Construct and it's nearly unstoppable.