Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:47:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dr Mathias's Arboreal Extravaganza - Briar and Bramble Patches - Aug. 2021  (Read 195329 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Dr Mathias's Arboreal Extravaganza - Gnarly Old Tree Added 5/10/13
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2015, 06:39:50 PM »
The canopies I made were a waste of time for me. I've used them only once, the first time I had the jungle set up at a convention and they came off shortly after ;)

a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2015, 06:01:47 AM »
The canopies I made were a waste of time for me. I've used them only once, the first time I had the jungle set up at a convention and they came off shortly after ;)

You game!?  :o Blasphemy!

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2015, 08:40:06 AM »
Missed your thread here Dr.
Great trees, :o great pics! I have some lovely terrain boards but i really need some trees like yours.
Coming friday i am playing SoBaH with Benbow and he will be bringing his trees with him so we should get some nice pictures.
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2015, 08:49:21 AM »
These tutorials should come in handy - I just lay awake last night thinking I should soon get some of all the stuff I've acquired over the years (palm trees, plastic aquarium plants, model railroad bamboos, etc) out and start making some jungle/rain forest terrain - and my biggest concern was how to get some nice big trees done...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »
I have only just spotted this.   :o

Thank-you for such interesting tutorials   :-*

I need to build woodland for Agincourt so will try to do some ancient trees.
Then after that I want to do jungle scenery so the bamboo and jungle trees tutorials are ideal.

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
    • GlueandDice.com - Adventures in small worlds
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2016, 12:52:41 PM »
Thanks for the awesome tutorials. I builded some jungle trees and your tutorial was a great starting point.  :)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2017, 11:06:27 PM »
Finally got around to doing up a few trees based roughly on the good Dr Mathias' method.

They're a bit more basic than his but I'm pleased with how they turned out!

Full blog post over here, if you want to see a few more work-in-progress photos: http://www.warbard.ca/2017/02/05/in-the-jungle-the-mighty-jungle/

Thanks for the inspiration, even if it did take me too many years to get around to the project!

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2017, 11:50:11 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration, even if it did take me too many years to get around to the project!

Hey, thanks! I'm glad the tutorials are useful. The trees look great, and I really like the broken off stump idea- adds some variety to the otherwise flat jungle floor.

Thanks for showing your results off too!

Offline Dr Mathias

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dr Mathias's Arboreal Extravaganza - Arthur Rackham Style Trees - Dec. 2017
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2017, 04:40:15 AM »
I've had the materials for this endeavor set aside for a very long time. I was beset by a sudden desire to complete it, because I have some other arboreal projects lurking...

Arthur Rackham Tree Tutorial

I've always had a soft spot for the illustrations by Arthur Rackham, particularly the convoluted roots and the chaotically linear nature of his trees. I'd been wanting to create some trees inspired by him for quite a while (as I stated in this thread aeons back ;).

I clipped off some branches from my holly bushes a few years ago- they're still nice and springy, so I went ahead with using them. I bored a hole into the 'trunk' and glued some florist wire to use as the structure for the roots. The bases are hardboard/Masonite with some pink insulation foam for height; this was also spackled and painted with a textured wood filler. I wanted to make some dense thickets as well, so I glued in some floral wire that has a fabric layer already- I thought this would help retain texture.

The next step is similar to the "Gnarly Tree" tutorial. I used paintable caulk/sealer called 'Alex Plus' to build out the roots. This can be manipulated easily and sticks in place quite well. I also glued down some 'rocks', which are simply made from oven-bake clay using a broken bit of concrete to impart a rough texture. These shapes were baked according to the instructions and cut in half when dry, so that they had a flat side to glue down. I also coated the floral wire with the textured wood filler.

I also added a few more roots, this time using a thin paper-covered floral wire.

I added a little filler in a few places, to unite the stones into the base a bit. This was then painted with the textured filler to match.

The photo I took for the next step was blurry, so I scrapped it- what I did was use my 'bathroom tissue method' to create a bark-like texture over the root systems. My 'Jungle' and 'Gnarly Tree' tutorials describe that pretty well. This time around I used Mod Podge for the glue.

Next, I wanted to get in a little color. I wasn't sure how easy it would be to paint behind the roots I planned to add, so I wanted to get a start on that. I used an airbrush for this step.

After some initial painting I added some more roots, and used 'puffy paint' (the type for fabric, with a thin applicator nozzle) for the new roots and to add some linear whorls on the trunks. In retrospect I could have played that up a bit more. Yellow was what I had on hand, don't judge ;)

The puffy paint was slick (as expected) so I gave that a coat of textured filler, along with the new branches and thicket stems.

The real painting could then commence. Again, airbrush.

I added some bushes and underbrush as well, using the green furnace filter material. Also painted.

Some drybrushing to the trunks and ground... I got carried away. I should have attached all of the furnace filter before I got too far into the trunk detail :)

Taken a little further. I've glued a flocking mix to the furnace filter branches, and glued some leaf scatter in the areas most likely to collect them. I used a thinned-down Elmers white PVA liberally applied with a brush, then dumped the flock mix over the branches. In the past I used a spray paint method, this was much easier actually.

The next photo shows a largely completed base. I added some flock material to represent moss, and put a Siflor tuft here and there, and some static grass. I also added some mushrooms- they're simple. Whenever I have a little greenstuff or Procreate left over from a project, I make a little 'cap', and I have a couple dozen by now. The stem is just a styrene rod.

That about sums it up- the process is really similar to some of the other trees I've made.

I'm pretty happy with them overall, they have a distinctly different feel than my other trees and will work well for Warhammer 'Old World' or Tolkien-esque settings.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2017, 07:31:52 AM »
That's extremely effective. I haven't seen the covered florist wire before but I'll be looking out for it now. The finishing touches will be perfect for my stalled bocage project.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »
Extraordinary & wonderful, both the work and finished pieces  :-*

Manty thanks for sharing.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »
Splendid Matt. Love those.
 :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
WONDERFULLY INSPIRING WORK! As a maker of trees myself, it is always a motivating experience seeing your SPLENDID creations.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2017, 07:25:58 AM »
Good tutorial mate! Very useful! 8)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2017, 07:32:06 AM »
That is a splendid tutorial that will certainly lead to extraordinary results. Thank you very much!