Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LPL Season 6 - The Results  (Read 37884 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
LPL Season 6 - The Results
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »
As the sixth season of the LPL draws to a close, I find myself in a peculiar situation. Previously, I used to feel relieved as the season ended – finally there’s time to paint in a relaxed way, you don’t have to spend hours on photography, and there are no more lists of submission e-mails waiting to be answered, no more pictures to be uploaded, and no more match threads to be arranged. This time, it is different – I couldn’t get enough. I don’t know why, but after a slow started I picked up speed in the second half; I could easily have done another four to five rounds, and would have enjoyed them. But the LPL is over, that’s for sure.

This season was something special. The new “three teams for application” rule guaranteed that participants were highly motivated and committed to fight until the end, not only against their opponents but also against the lack of motivation setting in after Round 4, and coming out in force after Round 8. Most held out until the very end, and helped to make this season the most varied, the most interesting and the most exciting LPL outing so far.

The leaderboard and the obvious winners notwithstanding, I do not feel that anybody won “more” than the others. I’ve always envisioned the LPL more as a community project, rather than a simple competition; a project which saw a bunch of loonies decide to spend 10 weeks together, painting and presenting their results in the most excellent fashion possible. Therefore, regardless who made it to the top of the league, I congratulate to all the Knights of the Order of the LPL – you have done it again, my brothers (sadly, no sisters were to join in this year)!

Still, we do again have a triad of winners, who shall now be honoured.

Third place goes to Season 5 Champion, the incredible Frank! His photographs, all of superb diorama quality, are clearly some of the finest work ever to grace this forum. Few people come close to his level of expertise when it comes to presenting life in miniature; more amazing for the fact that he uses the same means as the rest of us, a couple of trees, a handful of houses or hills, a well-placed spot of lighting. Yet, when Frank goes to work, everything comes to life, we hear the crying of women as they bid their loved ones farewell, the roaring of orcs, the swearing of soldiers, and the crackle of flags flying in the wind.

Second place goes to the man who fancies colourful clothes and shiny armour, the illustrious Captain Blood. My personal accolade for him would be “The Master of the Blue”, as no one paints this tone as he does. His blues are beautiful, supernatural even; you get the feeling that they are glowing from the inside. All of the Captain’s contributions were clear, confident, and graceful; they overwhelm you with the rainbow-like vibrancy and vitality.

Finally, the coveted first place goes to the invincible Dr. Mathias! He displayed a combination of brilliant ideas and flawless execution which simply proved to be unbeatable. Anyone who has seen his Tolkien entry will know what I am talking about. Everybody knows the problem – we have a host of great ideas for LPL submissions, how great this would look and how swell that would be, how we could integrate this little tidbit and that – and then it falls short due to time constraints, lack of inspiration, or the anticipation simply exceeds the actual event. The good Doctor, however, managed to astound us week by week, and presented superbly executed ideas that rightly won him every round, emerging unbeaten.

Now that I have listed the three winners, I would be hard-pressed trying to decide who would be the best of the three. It is simply impossible.

There are things which cannot be graded by comparison, and therefore, the sequence might be considered more of a symbolic order. I wish to congratulate all three, and all the others on completion of the sixth successful season of the LPL, and express my thanks to all those who made it possible. As always, it was a great pleasure and an honour.

Thus, I declare the sixth season of the LPL concluded. I hope we will all convene again in the next year for Season Seven; I certainly am looking forward to it.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:27:20 PM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: LPL Season 6 - The Results
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
This mere spectator would like to thank you, Prof, for running this year's LPL, and all the competitors for providing such an entertaining and inspirational competition.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »
Top three really excelled themselves this year, well done lads.   8)

All your ideas have been saved for future theft inspiration  ;)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »
This was my first time voting in the LPL and it was great fun.
Many of the votes were painful decisions as the quality of miniatures was insane.

Thank you Prof for hosting and congratulations to the winners!  :D

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »
Congrats to the winners! This was a spectecular Season, the toughest so far I think.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
Thanks to the organizers, participants, and especially the voters- who continued to turn out in force and show support through the entire league. It was certainly nerve-wracking but very, very enjoyable. It feels good to look at all the miniatures that got painted in three months. I only had to purchase figs for the Tolkien round and just a few for 9 and 10, so I made a nice dent in the lead pile. Some figures might never have been painted at all. That's what the LPL is all about!

Looking through Season 5 (and 4), it is clear that those who came back this year really stepped it up and excelled themselves. Be proud guys! 

I learned a lot, even in ten short weeks. Upon reflection my first few entries could certainly have been photographed better, and the many participants have provided some new tips and tricks we all can make use of in the future. I find myself in the same position as the Prof... I could do a few more rounds! The LPL ends right when I get some free time  :-[

Lastly, some appreciation needs to go out to Hammers. Even before I entered the LPL last year, I found myself drawn to his grand scale, great scenes, and attention to detail. His entries had a lot of influence on my approach right from the start.

Now I think I owe you all some tutorials...
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline ollv

• Scientist
    • Imagifig
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
Congratulations and thanks. It was my first LPL as voter and competitor and it was fun and help me paint day after day. I will try to get better next year.  ;)

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 07:40:33 PM »
I'm with you Prof, this got in my system, I could go on for another 5-10 rounds more!  :D

My first time doing this and had a lot of fun.  Learned a lot about scenic photoing, even if a lot of what I learned is that I don't know much about it- yet.  ;) 

I think the highlight of the whole thing for me was Dr.M's Mirkwood scene.

Thanks everyone, this was a lot of fun!
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »
Congratulations to all the entrants, every single one of you!

You have all provided some serious inspiration, and at least three future projects have entered my mind due to this season's LPL. I have even bought all the lead for one already!

Whilst I have sat there and enjoyed every round, agonising over where to place my vote on numerous occasions, I would like to let all the entrants know that they have an audience that they will certainly not know about: My work colleagues!

I introduced them to the LPl at the very start and they have been most enthralled!
Even though none of them have ever picked up a brush in anger, it did not stop them have repeated arguements over who they thought should win each match-up.

That was almost as entertaining as the entries themselves...

Thanks to all involved, and looking eagerly forward to next year!
 ;D

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »
This is my first LPL as a voter too. It was brilliant. I've looked forward to each Sunday and the painted delights they have brought. A big thank you to all involved. I'll never match the standards of this year's entrants but I may well give it a go next year. A big congratulations to the top 3 too.

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 09:08:26 PM »
As per my coments in the other thread I';; repeat my thanks to the Prof and Ray and congratulations to the competitors (which also includes these 2). A well deserved win for Dr Mathias

Its certainly a demanding competition and its interesting to note that only 11 from 46 managed to snaffle all the bonus points on offer
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »
Well done to all who entered.

By the way has anyone told Dr. Mathias that as winner he has to organise the next LPL?  ;)
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 09:15:22 PM »
Well, if you had told me at the beginning that I would go 4-6 and finish 27th of 46 among such illustrious talent, I would not have believed you.  I am truly thrilled with how I did in my first League.  I want to thank all the competitors, voters and posters for providing their energy and enthusiasm.  Seeing your entries and agonizing over votes made me look forward to Sunday mornings for 10 solid weeks.

And of course, thanks to Alex for running this.  Truly, you gave a lot of joy to a lot of people!

That said, I have to say I *was* ready for a break when this all ended and could not have kept up the pace of new entries for much longer.... ::) ::) ::)

Mike Demana

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
Many congratulations to the illustrious 3 at the top.  Also to all those who took part and like me, sweated at getting figures painted and photographed in time.  This was my first LPL as a competitor and I have been given so much inspiration and learnt so much about composing and photographing a scene (even if it is as Laughing Ferret said - I don't know much about it).

Many thanks to Prof. Witchheimer for all his hard work running this competition.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 10:48:18 PM »
Damn it! Didn't make my goal of Top 50%! Guess I'll make due w/ the Top of the Bottom! #24 is pretty damn good, and a 5/5 finish against this sort of competition is ok by me! :)

The Prof's romans and Abu's gorgeous pirates and islanders  :-* were my faves, while LadyAsbestos was VERY taken w/ the wonderful Waterworld scene. Great season everyone!

I'm off to learn how to photograph! Thanks!