Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:26:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetors "Ursa Miner" Space Dwarfs: Dark Lord and Governor 15/08/13  (Read 10761 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
Re: Cheetors "Ursa Miner" Space Dwarfs
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 06:52:31 PM »
On the gaming front, that sounds like a good plan, Cheetor. We've discussed it before, I think - the advantages that a skirmish game has over a bigger "all out" battle set of rules (like the current 40K, I guess). At least, it's the sort of thing I talk about with gaming friends a lot! Also, what you want is a system that allows you to slot in whatever it is you're painting/has taken your fancy. No point in painting something and not being able to use it, after all! Flexibility is the key factor, and getting the chance to play whatever you think is cool.
As for Space Dwarves - I never really had strong feelings about them, either way, but I love how this force is coming together. Plus, any force that has a dog in it is a plus, as far as I'm concerned. I love the Hasslefree Smudge model too - hope you manage to fit him in somehow!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 07:51:15 AM »
I have a lot of love for space dwarfs of various kinds -- motivated, I admit, pretty much purely by nostalgia, but there you go. I really like these. While I think the huscarl is very cool, I'm not wild about the pose. I really do like the rank-and-file trooper with the open-faced helmet, though. He looks tough and grumpy, which seems appropriate. The camo tunics and cloaks are nice; they look distinctive without being outlandish. I think I'm gonna get a sprue or two just to play around with and see how they turn out.

Plus the bulldog is adorable.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 10:31:21 PM »

Some recent additions. (left to right) a Forgefather Jotunn Heavy Hailstorm Cannon (which looks a lot like a Thudd Gun to me), a Squat Engineer (a GW White Dwarf subscription model which it is to all intents and purposes a squat.  A squat holding a gretchin dressed as a grey alien, but a squat nonetheless) and a squad of Forgefather Stormrage Veterans.

More info on each of these can be found via the links.  As this project seems to be growing in size beyond all expectations, expect to see some more Ursa Miners soon.

I'm in Dublin, was hoping you might be nearby, nevermind!

Its not THAT far away in the scheme of things.  The Irish toy soldier scene is invariably going to be small so we may meet up sometime.

I love the Hasslefree Smudge model too - hope you manage to fit him in somehow!

Trying to keep this project reasonably "serious" is proving difficult.  Anthropomorphic dogs may yet appear.

While I think the huscarl is very cool, I'm not wild about the pose.

Agreed.  The pose is a bit heroic/daft.  It is a nicely detailed figure though, and I like the gatling pistol look.

The camo tunics and cloaks are nice; they look distinctive without being outlandish.

Thanks. That was the intention and I think that it has worked out pretty well as these things go.  Those figures will never look as "real" as say Hasslefree Grymn, but I think that these guys have turned out pleasingly un-fantasy anyway.

I think I'm gonna get a sprue or two just to play around with and see how they turn out.

They are dirt cheap as toy soldiers go, go for it (and share your results please :)  )

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:00:20 AM by cheetor »

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »
great Stuff again-the Painting,not the Miniatures themselves >:D i couldn`t resist any longer,i had to buy a few Shorties myself,have you seen these from Killer B Games?Theyre so much cooler me thinks  8)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »
Love how you repeated the camo pattern from the cloaks on the gun-shield - excellently done! Nice weathering on it too, and from checking out your blog, it's a great idea to use Tau transfers on it. As you say, the tau symbols say "Sci-Fi" more than gothic lettering could ever do. Good call.
This is building into quite a force - wonderful to see. Nice painting on some miniatures that I hadn't even known about before you started putting this force together. Now I'm off to the Mantic website to see what else there is in the range!
Oh, and the GW squat or not-squat (depending on your point of view) - lovely work. The metallics are handled really well.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
great Stuff again-the Painting,not the Miniatures themselves >:D i couldn`t resist any longer,i had to buy a few Shorties myself,have you seen these from Killer B Games?Theyre so much cooler me thinks  8)

The Mantic Dwarfs are pretty love/hate... I like them but I can see why people don't (I don't like the different sizes though). They are really nicely painted here as well.

I'm sorry but those three gas-mask Scrunts are terrible... sorry but they just are :(

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »
That Jotunn is brilliant, great work on dirtying it up! I  hope to join the Jotunn Owners' Club myself at some point in the future.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 09:48:29 AM »
I rather like those Killer B minis.  Bob Olley, I'd guess?  But I don't think they'd be remotely compatible with Inso's Grymn.  If I had any, I'd be tempted to do a head swap with some wholly non-human figure for one of them.

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
Those Forgefathers look great. :D Good job. I really like that Chaos Space Marine too. Do you have pics of more? Like in an older thread or something? I'd be really interested in seeing them.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetors "Ursa Miner" Space Dwarfs: Runts & Squat Ad Mech 13/08/13
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »
Aaaaand a year later I am back in a space dwarf frame of mind and have painted up some more Ursa Miners, with a few others finished that have yet to be photographed. 

I have done some work on my 40k universe skirmish stuff in the meantime and I intend for the Ursa Miners to serve as antagonists/allies for my heroes as part of that project, as well as serving as a small battleforce in its own right.

Firstly four "Runts" from CP Models.

I enjoyed painting these.  Fun figures.  Im not hugely keen on the hazmat guys look, but I like the other three.  My blog post on them is here.

The Runts scale well with the plastic Mantic stuff  and less well with the current "restic" stuff, if that sort of thing gets you hot and bothered.

Next up is an old classic:

A miniature that I have wanted to own and paint since about 1989, so I got a kick out of finishing that one.  Blog post and a couple more photos here.

I will be adding some Grymn and some other Squats to the Miners soon.  I have a painted grymn walker and armoured grymn photographed so I will put up photos of those once I get them blogged.  After that it will either be some squats that I have just traded for or maybe a vehicle or two.  I do need to paint up another rank and file unit though.  The force is a little character heavy at the moment.  I must get around to taking a group photo too.

Comments and criticisms all encouraged of course :)

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
Re: Cheetors "Ursa Miner" Space Dwarfs: Runts & Squat Ad Mech 13/08/13
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »
Awesomeness. Love that really old squat in the bottom pic and you've painted him up beautifully. Good job on the other characters too.  :D

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetors "Ursa Miner" Space Dwarfs: Grymn Walker & Torsten 14/08/13
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »
Awesomeness. Love that really old squat in the bottom pic and you've painted him up beautifully. Good job on the other characters too.  :D

Thanks Diakon.  The Ad Mech squat was one of those figures that I had wanted to paint since I first got into the hobby properly back in the late 80s, so it was satisfying to get it finished.

You asked about the Sin-Eater chaos marines shown for comparison earlier, but I never got back to you about it.  I dont have photos of all of them and the ones that I do have are pretty terrible so I need to re-do them at some later date.  But what I do have is under the Sin-Eater tag on my blog if you want a look.

I got a couple of photos of Hasslefrees Torsten and the Grymn Walker up this morning:

More photos of Torsten here and some more of the walker here.

I have a couple more characters and a vehicle on the painting table, so they will likely be next.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
Cracking stuff! And the Ad-mech Squat is fantastic - like you I've wanted one since I first saw it, way back in 1992ish.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
Great stuff. I was just scrolling through your blog today and already saw them there.

:-*

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »
Cracking stuff! And the Ad-mech Squat is fantastic - like you I've wanted one since I first saw it, way back in 1992ish.

Thanks.  Its a cute figure and definitely a classic of the era.  Nostalgia may not be a very scientific way to approach getting toy soldiers painted, but it certainly helps me to get motivated.

Great stuff. I was just scrolling through your blog today and already saw them there.

Thanks.  I have a fun space dwarf duo nearly finished that I should get posted up over the next couple of days.