Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My picks of the LPL6  (Read 10013 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
My picks of the LPL6
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »
Hi all, in good tradition of Captain Blood's 'team of teams' topic last season (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=29561.0) which featured his favourites I would like to share mine. So during the LPL I picked my favourite team of each round, making sure there were no duplicate contenders. Of course these choices are rather personal and influenced by the models, themes and styles I like and they are in no way objective. I hope you enjoy!

Round 1: Dr Mathias - Mechanicus

Dr Mathias really set the tone for me early, his entry of long out of production Adetus Mechanicus was my favourite of round one. The painting is excellent, the scene seting is very atmospheric and these rare and old models really embody what this round was about for me: looking at quality miniatures from  days gone by. Not only that, but the photo is great too with every paint job in focus, not an easy task with nine models to portray!

Round 2: Old Coast - The Hunt for Rex Eleven

My second pick is also an SF one. Old Coast shares with us some great SF models, painted to a high standard in very good but neutral colour scheme, in a well constructed scenic background with some storytelling thrown in for good measure. I don't know what the fate of Rex Eleven will be but I doubt he won't go out withoutr a bang. Another good thing about this entry is that is looks like it could happen in a game too, very cool.

Round 3: Bugsda - Bushido Savage Wave

Bugsda neve fails to impress us with well painted bright models, but even among his entries this red monster with the huge hammer stands out. A very striking entry with interesting models and vivid paint jobs.

Round 4: Elysium64 - STALKER UN Forces

I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic entries so when Elysium64 presented this group I knew I just had to pick them among my favourites. The scene setting is very good with the dilapitated building, rusty fences and broken concrete. The models themselves are no different: a very good mix between rag-tag (look at those sneakers) and uniform, with nice and dirty equipment, not the least of which is the hummer. Excellence all around!

Round 5: Valleyboy - The Fords of Isen

The Tolkien bonus round gave us many good entries, a lot of which were excellently painted and a lot of which featured the current range of GW LOTR models. Among them, the raw action of Valleyboy's entry stood out for me. Rather than a posed shot with atmospheric lighting the wild setup and the natural looking light makes you feel like men and orcs are about to die this very moment. It was for me the most cinematic entry this round with the orcs wading in the water and the distance between them and the rangers closing fast. You can really feel the tension as you look at this scene.

Round 6: Blackwolf - The last earl of Montrose

Blackwolf has delivered us only great entries and I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite from among them, but this one ranks highly. His unique and recognisable style makes for dark, realistic looking pictures. The vehicles in this picture look very lifelike. The scenery looks great as well, and of course the painting on the models themselves is excellent as well!

Round 7: Frank - Hear me roar

Frank is another big name in the LPL and his name cannot be missed in this overview. His entries are varied in theme but always feature very well painted models (often in large numbers too), great looking scenery and possible the best photography in the entire LPL. In this entry I love the dramatic banners and shields which really carry this entry to the next level.

Round 8: Prof.Witchheimer - Revolte

A round of applause please for our excellent host on this forum and organiser of this Lead Painter's League. Throughout the leage we have been treated with Romans of various plumage by the good Professor and his efforts culminated in this fantastic entry: Revolte. Not all the models were painted for this round obviously but the ones that were look excellent, and the large diorama shot with the elephant is simply spectacular!

Round 9: Lt.Hazel - Remembrancing

With Fantasy and SF being my primary loves it's good to see some good old Warhammer 40k on occasion. These sisters by Lt. Hazel are no exception. The paint job is great and gritty, and the work on the banner looks fabulous. A great entry!

Round 10: Captain Blood - SBS vs Kriegsmarine

Captain Blood has been contester, winner and organiser of various Leagues but it's always best for us to see him competing. His painting style is clean and smooth with often a fair bit of black shading. In this entry his painting style really shines on the varied blue hues on the uniforms and on the precise highlighting on the ribbed sweaters. Add to that a well painted vessel and a really good looking piece of background scenery and you have one of my favourite entries for the final big slam!

Well, I hope you liked my selection. I love a bit of reminiscing about the past LPL and if you want to join in then feel free to post your own favourites.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: My picks of the LPL6
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
Thanks for doing a "picks" thread, I really enjoyed the Captain's last year. I like your selection (not just saying that because I'm in there  ;) ).
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »
Nice line-up, Pil - great choices, all of these. It's tough to pick just ten out of all the wonderful entries we've had, of course! The Prof's Roman scene was definitely one of my favourites this LPL (he's the Cecil B DeMille of the LPL!), but Elysium64's Stalker UN, Captain Blood's Kriegsmarines, and Old Coast's The Hunt for Rex Eleven were definitely in my top ten (I love the narrative element of Old Coast's entry, quite apart from the painting and staging). Thanks, Pil - a lovely idea, and some spot-on choices! Of course, there were a few of your own entries that were competing for a spot in my top ten too.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:19:19 AM »
Cheers Pil :) Your inclusion of my picture has made my day; I have had a very rough past three weeks,so something like this means a lot to me.

Regards

Guy
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »

Round 1: Dr Mathias - Mechanicus

I didn't like this one...  ;)

This one, on the other hand, was probably my favourite pic from the whole LPL...
One of the top 2 or 3 anyway...

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 04:31:55 PM »
Quote from: Captain Blood
I didn't like this one...  ;)

You're right, the photo could be better- light is a little heavy from the top.  ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »
 lol

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »
Thanks for doing a "picks" thread, I really enjoyed the Captain's last year. I like your selection (not just saying that because I'm in there  ;) ).

If I wouldn't limit myself to one entry per person half the entries would probably have been yours, but you stole the cake right away in Round 1 with your Adeptus Mechanicus  :-*

Thanks, Pil - a lovely idea, and some spot-on choices! Of course, there were a few of your own entries that were competing for a spot in my top ten too.

Thanks! Of course I couldn't include myself in this lineup and I'm hard pressed to pick a favourite among my own entries, it's like having to pick a favourite kid, if I had kids, which these models kind of are, if you know what I mean. :D

Cheers Pil :) Your inclusion of my picture has made my day; I have had a very rough past three weeks,so something like this means a lot to me.

Regards

Guy

You're more than welcome Guy, I always love your entries and your style always appeals to me even in those cases where the models themselves do not. I loved all your entries in previous LPL's and this LPL was no different. I also love your vehicle work which really shows in this entry but also in your other entries (Spacefarers, Rock 'n Roll, Big Cats) and outside of the LPL like Faster Pussycat:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=22118.0

And sorry Captain, but as you can guess I voted for the Mechanicus and not for your Ral Partha Tough Guys ;)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »
I think my favourite over the whole of the LPL6 was Captain Bloods SBS vs Kriegsmarine  :D

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:08:28 AM by aircav »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
Nice one Keith. I've always liked you  ;)