Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'I'm leaning on the lampost...'  (Read 6779 times)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: 'I'm leaning on the lampost...'
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
It's a fine figure but looking back on the era, what with George Formby, Gracie Fields and all those Will Hay films I sometimes wonder if Britain didn't invite, indeed, deserve the Blitz.  :)

Shhhh.  You'll make Paul Hicks cry.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 02:01:05 PM »
Until Eureka announced this figure several months ago I'd never heard of Formby.

You were most fortunate.

The messed up thing is after I looked him up on YouTube I have one or two songs stuck in my head...

You'll be saying 'More tea Vicar?' before you know it...

Actually it could work out quite well for you. In 1940 the Germans bombed cultural monuments like St Pauls, Canterbury Cathedral and the Albert Memorial. Anyone doing the same today will have to bomb  Ant 'n' Dec, Susan Boyle and the set for Top Gear.  :D

I think we should just deploy them and Ross Kemp instead of troops, but I suppose the do-gooders out there will be bleating about war-crimes if we did.

;)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »
Quote from: Arlequín
You'll be saying 'More tea Vicar?' before you know it...

That lead to an interesting bit of research... I've lead a sheltered life :-I
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Elwood P Dowd

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 02:38:05 PM »
To be fair to Formby , a lot of his songs were are far naughtier away from the camera's .

Having to listen to my daughters practice for the school ukulele band I can appreciate his genius more ....
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me"

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »
My parents and grandparents led sheltered lives too, they spent three years sleeping in one, with only ITMA, Lord Haw-Haw and the sound of falling bombs for entertainment. The bombs were quickest forgiven.
:D 

To be fair to Formby , a lot of his songs were are far naughtier away from the camera's .

Fair point... and likewise with Max Miller with his blue book and his white book... I suspect he had a third too... anyway;

Listen, I was in Spain four years ago and in Spain all the girls wear little knives in the top of their stockings. I found that out. So I said to myself, I'll find out exactly what the idea is so I said, "What's the idea of wearing a knife at the top of the stocking?" She said, "That's to defend my honour." I said, "What, a little tiny knife like that?" I said, "If you were in Brighton, you'd want a set of carvers!"

Anyway... It's a nice figure and well presented.  :)

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
I'll refrain on entering the debate about British comedy - my favorite sitcom is the 1960/70's vintage 'Nearest and Dearest', so I'm not qualified to comment!  :D

Nice work! I wouldn't mind seeing him up more close, it looks like you did a cool base treatment

have a look at this one guv, it's slightly bigger (ooh-er!)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
Having to listen to my daughters practice for the school ukulele band I can appreciate his genius more ....

Jimi Hendrix started on the ukulele.

"Ey up, Joe.  Where's't going withat gun in y'and?"

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:25 PM »
The truly wonderful thing about this mini, at least for Formby fans, is that it makes a very nice stand in for the Maginot Line, if one was inclined to game the fall of France. It's also arguably the only miniature in any scale to have been satirised by Dudley Moore. Ooh there's an idea! I'd pay big $$$ for a Pete n Dud vignette. Might suggest that to Mr Robson.

Ross Kemp  as Britain's first line of defence eh? Is he still on the telly? I just loved those docos. Ross Kemp Wets His Knickers in Rio, Ross Kemp Looks Shit Scared in Bournemouth etc etc. Note to genetic engineers: Messing around with chromosones doesn't always have a happy ending.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline orm1

• Scientist
    • Ormesmodels
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »
I love it, could you post a link to the miniature I can't find it on the Eureka site. Thanks

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »
Formby was a perhaps unlikely anti-Apartheid campaigner of sorts, before Apartheid even officially existed. He refused to play segregated venues in South Africa and got into hot water with the authorities there for it. It's said they were kicked out of the country because the last straw was George's wife and manager Beryl hugging a six-year-old black girl at a show. She apparently said to National Party leader Daniel François Malan after he told them to never come back, "Why don't you piss off, you horrible little man?"

George is all right with me.

"Never touched me!"
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »
Jimi Hendrix started on the ukulele.

"Ey up, Joe.  Where's't going withat gun in y'and?"

lol lol lol Thanks, I nearly coughed up a lung.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:27:58 PM by Bugsda »
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »
Formby was a perhaps unlikely anti-Apartheid campaigner of sorts, before Apartheid even officially existed. He refused to play segregated venues in South Africa and got into hot water with the authorities there for it. It's said they were kicked out of the country because the last straw was George's wife and manager Beryl hugging a six-year-old black girl at a show. She apparently said to National Party leader Daniel François Malan after he told them to never come back, "Why don't you piss off, you horrible little man?"

George is all right with me.

Didn't know that. He's rocketed up in my estimation too. Thanks for the edumacation on the subject.

"Never touched me!"

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »
I love it, could you post a link to the miniature I can't find it on the Eureka site. Thanks
I don't think they have it on the website yet-drop them an email instead.