Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:17:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Start of my Fantasy World - Update 17/03/08  (Read 6816 times)

Offline V

• Mastermind
The Start of my Fantasy World - Update 17/03/08
« on: February 02, 2008, 12:25:54 AM »
After Downlode, Im now slowly working on a fantasy based skirmish setting.

I have a number of races and nations who will battle for supremacy using Mordheim style rules and gain experience as the campaign runs. I want to get an RPG feel to the game for the players...

Some of the Undead forces... Still lots more to do unfortunatly!

The 'Drumgar', barbaric human tribes from the north... These are contigents from the three main tribal groups...

And the first of the Boglins...

Seldom seen by many in the human world, the Boglins are an underground race, who delight in inflicting pain and tormenting others. They emerge on occasion to raid human settlements and often carry away captives back to their dens. It is said they prefer to steal the children as their small size makes it easier for the Boglins to fit them into their tunnels and mines...

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 12:36:01 AM »
Wow  :o
You're a productive guy V!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:57:29 AM »
I don't want to sound like an old bigot or something - but shouldn't this have been in the Fantasy section (or am I missing something..?)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 01:05:55 AM »
You're right, I've moved it :)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 08:09:56 AM »
Oh good Idea of the Boglin skin color
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 08:51:31 AM »
Quote from: "Grimm"

Yes, it looks much better than GW's horrendous toxic green & makes the figure much more attractive than I'd initially thought.

Just goes to show how a good paint job can improve a figure :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »
What are those cowled figs on the far right (now, THAT sounded disturbing...?)

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 10:33:19 PM »
They look like converted Bretonians from GamesWorkshop.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 08:23:12 AM »
Cool stuff and neat idea.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 10:53:02 AM »
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"

Yes, it looks much better than GW's horrendous toxic green & makes the figure much more attractive than I'd initially thought.

Absolutely! I do not get why Orcs and Goblins had to be green all of a sudden, then back in the mid-80's... :?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
Quote from: "Argonor"
Quote from: "Gluteus Maximus"

Absolutely! I do not get why Orcs and Goblins had to be green all of a sudden, then back in the mid-80's... :?

No, you're right! I'm a confirmed Tolkien Nerd & goblins/orcs etc should IMO be any shade of brown/grey etc  - definitely NOT green :x

Well, I do actually like the colour of the Moria Orcs in the Fellowship of the Ring, but that is definitely more of a brownish-green, so just about acceptable :wink: The rest of the orcs in the film are absolutely spot on!

Then again, fantasy should by definition mean that anything goes [but try telling GW that], so I've no problem with those that love green - just don't expect me to like it  :lol:

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 05:46:21 PM »
Quote from: "Argonor"
What are those cowled figs on the far right (now, THAT sounded disturbing...?)

They are Bretonnian bodies with bits from the Chaos warriors and Wood Elf heads and arms. A real mix!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
Dang! I hoped to be able to buy those somewhere. They're COOL  :o  8)

Offline V

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 01:22:00 AM »
"During my travels I observed many different races and creatures, but those that struck fear deepest to my heart, were those who at first glance seem as human as you or I. The tribes of the Northern Wastes, are human in appearance, but it is this scholars view that they are a different species when it comes to morals and spiritualism. The Drumgar are a violent race of people who worship dark ancient gods and whose manner is utterly alien to us civilised people who live south of the mountains. They revel in orgies of blood and destruction and seem happiest when inflicting pain on another living creature. They remain at constant war with each other, the tribes fighting over hunting grounds, ancient sites of worship or some petty quarrel. What we should fear is the threat they pose should they unite under a strong leader. While we already suffer their barbaric raids, we would face total destruction if a fearsome leader could unite all the Drumgar tribes... This leader would however require the support of the real power behind the tribes... Their spiritual leaders, the Shamen of Dagoth"

An extract from 'Travels in the Old World' by Tobias Michi, advisor to Crown-Prince Theodred II.

This figure represents the shamen of the Kurgan tribe of the Drumgar. They Kurgans are famed for their religous piety among the Drumgar and it is that fact that is supposed to be the reason for them being the strongest and most powerful of the Drumgar tribes. This figure is the shamen Argonar wearing his mask for the 'Dance of the Skulls', a ritual often performed to bring luck and victory before a great battle or raid. The colour purple is that worn by those favoured by the god Dagoth and his minions are often seen in that colour. Indeed those possessed by demons of Dagoth often change colour to become a striking purple in hue. It is for this reason that cermonial masks such as this one are purple in colour ans represent the shamen's closeness to the tribal god.

A Drumgar shamen acts on many levels to his tribe. While to the civiliased people of the south lands the Drumgar are simple blood thirsty barbarians the truth is more complex. Although their society is built around the warrior creed, the shamen is responsible for the religious piety of his people. Without his guidance and prayer, the tribe will soon wither and decay. In this role the shamen provides guidance to the tribal leaders on raids and battles, schools the sons of the village elders in warcraft and ancient lore and rites, along with the more religious needs such as ritual sacrifice and the blessing of the Huscarles before battle. A tribe requires a shamen with a keen mind and a fast brain, not too mention one with a high degree of intelligence. As the shamen's are appointed by Dagoth (only those born when the twin moons are purple may follow the path of a shamen) it is not uncommon for unsuccessful shamen's to meet with unfortunate, and usually fatal, accidents before they can do any lasting damage to their tribe.

A Drumgar Shamen of the Kurgan Tribe directs a Huscarle to battle.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 04:42:10 PM »
I really like the way you painted that ex-chaos warrior. Very S&S!