Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690716
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modelling the Perry Plastics (UPDATE: lots of pics 28.06.2015 p.7)  (Read 38404 times)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Re: Modelling the Perry Plastics
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 08:12:11 AM »
another one to watch  :D

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 08:27:59 AM »
There's some brilliant & inspirational stuff going on in Medieval adventures these days
Superb idea with the crew
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »
Perfect inspiration !

best regards Michael

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 10:24:35 AM »
Lovely work Admiral.

I too collected the Airfix and MilMod(I guess I am also of an certain age....)  mags,I remember in particular a box diorama that won the Euro Militaire in the late 70s set inside a tavern with a Norman knight and an fighting bear,it had cobwebs the whole bit; the modeller even made his own chainmail. I tried to emulate this,failed......But then came upon a technique using ladies stockings as chainmail, (I was a very naughty young man),very realistic; I converted an Historex Napoleonic French aide de camp into a rider of Rohan,carved his hat into a helm,nasal from plasticard,bamboo spear the whole bit. Sad to say I think I have lost the skill/patience for such things now.
     And those mags were so practical,really taught me a lot.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip

Guy
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »
brilliant work Michael!  8)
They are absolutely believable. Interesting thread to follow! Keep going!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
Yet another excellent thread on these miniatures, which have pushed the boundaries imo. Not bad for 'just plastics'.  ;)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »
You did a very nice job on those, well done!
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »
I too have fond memories of Military Modelling and plastic conversions (though my efforts were far from your standard). Could it be that many of those enjoying the possibilities of Perry Plastics are ..... ahem .... of a certain age?!

Oh yes, absolutely ... lol

I must say though (in amongst all this Perry plastic excellence) there are a couple of slightly dodgy components in the Mercenaries box. The figure lifting the tail of your gun has one of them. The shoulder on his right arm is distorted at the top. It's out of proportion. I've tried this arm on a number of figures - and it always looks slightly wrong...  :(

Thanks for that hint, Richard, I wouldn't have noticed it or maybe only when already started painting. I tried to correct the shoulder area by cutting it down a bit and smooth over with sandpaper.

One comment I would make is that I think one or two more of the gun crew should have their heads down, I've moved a gun of a similar size and you do spend a lot of time looking downwards for obstacles etc.

Can imagine that, James, but then you wouldn't see the painted faces, so that's some artistic licence then ...

Lovely work Admiral.

I too collected the Airfix and MilMod(I guess I am also of an certain age....)  mags,I remember in particular a box diorama that won the Euro Militaire in the late 70s set inside a tavern with a Norman knight and an fighting bear,it had cobwebs the whole bit; the modeller even made his own chainmail. I tried to emulate this,failed......But then came upon a technique using ladies stockings as chainmail, (I was a very naughty young man),very realistic; I converted an Historex Napoleonic French aide de camp into a rider of Rohan,carved his hat into a helm,nasal from plasticard,bamboo spear the whole bit. Sad to say I think I have lost the skill/patience for such things now.
     And those mags were so practical,really taught me a lot.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip

Guy

Those were the days, Guy, no internet for research, only libraries (!), Humbrol enamels or oils instead of Acrylics and those monthly mags to drool over ... ;D

Thanks to everybody for your nice words.
 :)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
From 1972 to 1974 the great Sid Horton published a series of modelling articles in Airfix magazine: "Charge of the Light Brigade" and "Return from Balaclava". He used the then new 54 mm Airfix plastic figure kits - mostly napoleonics - and converted them to new crimean war miniatures. I had a subscription for the magazine (mainly for tank and aircraft modelling) and was hooked to Horton's work from the very first moment. It was my start into the miniature world, and I learned to convert plastic figures with those brilliant articles. The famous "Return from Balaclava" painting by Lady Butler fascinated me and I started to recreate it as a diorama with the Airfix conversions.

Brilliant – I can remember being given a pile of those Airfix magazines and being transfixed by those conversions! A few years later the National Army Museum had an amazing exhibition of Lady Butler's paintings – both those you mention were there of course, plus the Scots Greys (or was it the Life Guards?) at Waterloo, Rorke's Drift, and Remnants of an Army, with poor Dr Bryodn limping into Jalalabad after the retreat from Kabul.

But I digress... 

I never tried any of those conversions myself, but I do remember trying to make 'plastic soup' – cut up ends of sprue dissolved in turps or something similar, and then painted on to cover joins. A bit like the new liquid green stuff I guess. Did anyone else ever make that? I just remember making a terrible mess...  lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 09:38:08 PM »

Thanks for that hint, Richard, I wouldn't have noticed it or maybe only when already started painting. I tried to correct the shoulder area by cutting it down a bit and smooth over with sandpaper.

Maybe I'm being hyper-critical, but there's definitely something amiss with that shoulder... Just a bit too lumpen  ::)

Airfix magazine and Military Modelling. Gosh yes, I grew up with those in the 70's  :D
The one that sticks in my mind is the Rorke's Drift diorama... Those Hinchliffe 54mm Zulus, remember them? Now that's what Zulus should look like... Huge, gleaming, muscular and deadly... Nobody else's have ever really measured up since...

Anyway. Sorry. Back on topic! Looking forward to giving the fore-and-aft horse conversions a try later this week... Brilliant idea.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »

Airfix magazine and Military Modelling. Gosh yes, I grew up with those in the 70's  :D
The one that sticks in my mind is the Rorke's Drift diorama... Those Hinchliffe 54mm Zulus, remember them? Now that's what Zulus should look like... Huge, gleaming, muscular and deadly... Nobody else's have ever really measured up since...

I still have the Military Modelling two issue article on the Isandlwana diorama using those figures.(The actual model is at the South Wales Borderers museum in Brecon, it looks just as good in the flesh) I also have some of the figures somewhere too, now that would be a great skirmish game.. ;D

Sorry to derail a great thread Admiral, you have certainly stirred some old memories. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09:11 AM »
Great stuff as usual, Admiral!
Really look forward to seeing more in this thread :-*

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »
Tremendous  :-* :-* As someone who does not even have the patience to build them straight from the sprue I am both jealous and in awe

Me too  :-*

As Ian Asbury once said "plastic fantastic, Napoleon machine gun"  o_o
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
 :o Excellent conversions. Plastic is much easier to work with than metal and there's no fear of trashing the minis. Those old master modellers are a huge source of inspiration and cool ideas.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
looking good so far. Historex in 28mm :D
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.