Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:05:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689728
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Heroscape scenery anyone ?  (Read 10234 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Heroscape scenery anyone ?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 06:19:43 PM »
Hi,

Here's the progress for today.

It seems that the water tiles slooooooowly dry, finally. Some of them are perfectly translucid. I also added a deep blue wash on them :

But as you can see, some of them still a bit white :

I'll try to dry them fast with a hairdryer. I have to make a last gloss varnish coat too.

I also washed the ruins with black. I'll drybrush in light grey, and add some brown and green washes to finish them. Maybe also a bit of modelling flock.

TO conclude, my ice tiles. It was harder to do than I expected. The drying is so slow...On the pic, the hexes are not ready to play. Some trimming and sanding is needed.

My set will include about a dozen of hexes. Here's a pic of an almost finish hex (I need to sand it a bit more, but I have to buy sandpaper tommorow morning first). As you can see, it stills a bit translucid, like the real thing. If that resin was cheaper, I 'd love to make entire walls using that technic.

That's all for today.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
The water tiles are completed.

Some example pics :

I still need to polish the ice hexes, but it's almost done.

Now I have to finish the extra ices hexes, and make the accessories for each set (bridges, cristals, trees, palms, rocks, etc....).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:21:13 AM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »
I finished the ruins scenery. Once again, fast "factory style" work :

a black wash
a light grey drybrush
a brown glaze
a green wash

The last "boring" things I have to do are the trees. I've got everything I need for that. Then, I'll go again on my 3d dungeon (funnier) and start "outdoor" scenery (taverns, buildings...a lot of fun too).

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Hi,

Here's some new pics of the finished sets. Tonight I had a little fun making a small dungeon and a few (bad) situation photos :

I used mostly only rock set tiles (all of them). For a bigger dungeon, I'll have to mix with other sets, or make the walls small (here, 4 rows stack).

Of course, I also need to add some accessories (crystals, mushrooms, etc...). But it make some decent caverns.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 03:28:21 PM »
I was not happy with the "grass tiles", just painted. So I made some flocking tests, mixing some home made modelling flock (wood dust I stained in diferent green shades).

FOr people who does'nt know heroscape system, why I don't cover the entire hex ? Because the tiles cannot stack correctly if I do that. So I had to find a good modelling flock color.

As you can see, the mix I found work pretty well once I apply an extra coat of diluted PVA glue. That way, the color matches the hexes painted board pretty well. And it gives extra strenght (very difficult to remove the modelling flock now). The other technics I tried are not as good as this.

Now, the boring side of this discovery...I have to cover hundred of hexes  lol

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »
The tiles can stack if you flock the entire tile, check out page one of this thread where I posted my own.  I suppose you couldn't go wile with it, but I still stack my completely flocked tiles without issue.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 04:43:36 PM »
What I wanted to say is that you can stack them, but the "space" between tiles become more visible (due to modelling flock coat thickness). You loose a bit of the hill effect heroscape tiles gives when they are stacked "correctly". At least for what I saw on several pics on internet.

I believe it's a matter of choice  : better surface result with entirely flocked hexes, or better stacking hills effect with partially flocked tiles. IMHO.  ;)

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »
I don't have any gaps in my tiles, but perhaps my flocking is not as thick as what you saw on the interent.   Eitherway works though.  I did start with just the centers flocked, and then added the edges later.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 05:37:52 PM »
Good if it worked for you. My homemade modelling flock is not very fine, so I'm afraid it will not be good for proper stacking if I cover the entire tiles.

By the way, I'm currently flocking the tiles...it's boring and with no end  lol I just made about 1/3 of the tiles yet... and just the first stage  lol

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »
Oh, I recall exactly how boring flocking was.  In fact, I still have some I should be flocking, but I can't be bothered.   It was not fun.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »
Yes, it's not fun at all. But tiles after tiles, each day, the set is almost completed.

I flocked and varnished  (= 2nd stage with diluted pva, wich make the modelling flock dark and strong enough) all the small grass tiles (and a big one...On the pic you can see also another big tile not varnished) :

I flocked (but not varnished) 9 big tiles. Tonight I'll "varnish" them.

So it remains 8 big tiles to flock and "varnish", I hope to do that during week end.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:25:17 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »
It's done finally !

Forget about the 1tile and half not varnished on pic (the purpose was to show you the before/after result), everything is completed.

Now, it 's time to make some trees...

To be continued  8)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »
here's some news about this project. I can't believe it took this long  :o

I built some trees, both for battletech (6mm) and fantasy (28mm). It will be good for 10mm also, a new scale I'm waiting to experiment.

Here's some preview pics. I still need to put modelling flock on the bases.

Of course I made the trees myself, with metal wire, fiber and modelling flock.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:22:36 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
The trees are finished !

Most of them can be used for battletech or 10mm fantasy, but the biggest ones are more for 28mm fantasy.

A new step in my Heroscape basic scenery set. Next will be bridges and roads, I think. 

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »
Digging very old topic !

TOnight I sorted my old heroscape tiles, cleaned them etc... and build a simple (around) 4x4 table for fun.

I plan to use this set for battletech of course, but perhaps also for solo gaming like rangers of shadowdeep.

I have to build new forets and scatter terrain for it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 12:05:19 PM by sundayhero »