Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690742
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Old Glory resin pirate ships  (Read 6421 times)

Offline clapezza3

• Student
New Old Glory resin pirate ships
« on: February 02, 2008, 11:00:53 PM »
Here the upcoming pirate ships from Old Glory. What Do you think?

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/761793

Claudio.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: New Old Glory resin pirate ships
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 11:04:04 PM »
Quote from: "clapezza3"
Here the upcoming pirate ships from Old Glory. What Do you think?

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/761793

Claudio.

They look OK a bit of definaition lost form the pictures through the use of foam maybe? what does look to be a pain is cutting the gun ports out even with half barrels it could be a pain

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 11:11:54 PM »
They look darn nice though...

My only problem is that I already have four pirate ships from Village Green (as was) and Dixon, and it's hard enough fitting and manouvering those on a standard 6 x 4 table with any coastline and islands to reckon with...  :(

I'd have to be mad to get these as well...

Mad...

But they look so nice...

Hmm... :roll:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 11:14:04 PM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
They look darn nice though...

My only problem is that I already have four pirate ships from Village Green (as was) and Dixon, and it's hard enough fitting and manouvering those on a standard 6 x 4 table with any coastline and islands to reckon with...  :(

I'd have to be mad to get these as well...

Mad...

But they look so nice...

Hmm... :roll:

Lol, I know what you mean I have the OG Man O War and the Sloop, these would go well with them but you would need a pretty big table and even bigger crews :D

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »
If they know how to make one thing then it's ships, those look really nice:)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 09:08:08 AM »
Nice-looking ships. Note, though, that they are NOT made of resin, but rather utilize a "high density foam", such as the stuff used to produce the Ziterdes range of terrain pieces.

I´m interested in seeing final production pieces, espcecially considering the potential porosity of surface...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 10:59:41 AM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
Nice-looking ships. Note, though, that they are NOT made of resin, but rather utilize a "high density foam", such as the stuff used to produce the Ziterdes range of terrain pieces.

I´m interested in seeing final production pieces, espcecially considering the potential porosity of surface...

That was what I was wondering about as it soetimes doesn`t take fine detail well either. What about spray undercoat would that affect it? I know polystyrene tends to melt when aerosols are used and the same with super glues?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 01:31:15 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"

That was what I was wondering about as it soetimes doesn`t take fine detail well either. What about spray undercoat would that affect it? I know polystyrene tends to melt when aerosols are used and the same with super glues?

Yet another possible trap... I guess you´ll have to pre-coat it by brush, sealing it using paint and maybe white glue... or they´ll pre-undercoat it in the factory...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 02:18:05 PM »
Well, I think we're talking about the same material which my Scenic Effects church is made from - kind of rigid expanded foam.

I agree it doesn't hold the detail as sharply as resin - everything looks very slightly rounded off - but I have to say it was very easy to work with, it took all my normal spray paints and acrylics readily enough, and does have the added advantage of being super light (until you stick an MDF base with half a ton of Tetrion underneath it!  :wink: )

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »
As they refer to LotHS, which I received and read yesterday, I must comment that I think they're actually a tad too big for that game. The ship rules are designed for small vessel action (largest man'o'war is a frigate) with a maximum of 10 cannon per ship.

That said, I of course plan to use bigger vessels, and if the price is going to be reasonable, I could easily see myself buy some of those foam-thingies  :wink:
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 05:11:09 PM »
Quote from: "Argonor"
As they refer to LotHS, which I received and read yesterday, I must comment that I think they're actually a tad too big for that game. The ship rules are designed for small vessel action (largest man'o'war is a frigate) with a maximum of 10 cannon per ship.

That said, I of course plan to use bigger vessels, and if the price is going to be reasonable, I could easily see myself buy some of those foam-thingies  :wink:

Check out this site, there are lots of ideas for using large ships just a few mods for pirate ships and it should work

http://www.spiritofthegame.org.uk/warhammerahoy/index.htm

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 07:17:09 PM »
It's not quite the same system, as LotHS is a Pirates game based on the  LotR-rules (like LotOW).

But there might be some useable ideas in there never the less...

Offline TJSKI

• Librarian
    • http://cursedtreasures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »
Quote from: "Argonor"

Argonor,

Yes I made the largest ship only hold ten cannons, but as I mentioned in the Limitations to cannons, there is nothing stopping players from using more cannons. So you still can use the OG ships, I just for game play, limited the ammount of cannons to 10.

Tim Kulinski
"Leutant Kulinski, a rather inept commander"

Offline dominic

• Mastermind
    • http://www.napnuts.com
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 10:01:13 PM »
They have an old 10-gun Brigantine that looks interesting!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 01:05:15 AM »
I have the Brig, it is very nice but has a narrow deck so if you need to base your figures on pennies to get the most out of the fighting space