Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:10:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Trying to create homebrew fallout warfare rules  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Infojunky

• Bookworm
  • Just another Brain in a Box
Re: Trying to create homebrew fallout warfare rules
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 09:43:02 AM »
Outside of Fallout Tactics, the only combat vehicle ever seen is the Vertibird, so I don't think a lack of vehicles will be a problem in his game any more than in mine.

That really depends how deep into the background you go.

Here are the Face to Face rules from Tactics http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070811034046/fallout/images/6/6d/Fow.pdf

I haven't played them, but we did use the SPECIAL based RPG rules to run a very combat heavy game in the distance past (meaning more than a decade ago now). As I recall we found the Action Point system is better in a Computer RPG than the tabletop (GDW's Classic Traveller game Snapshot had the same problem).

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »
Take a look at the venerable Colonial rules, The Sword and the Flame for your combat mechanism.  For the RPG aspect, try what we used to call a "Mugger Game", wherein the person running the game makes all the decisions based on random die rolls and his/her own ideas of what should happen.

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »
That really depends how deep into the background you go.

I can't think of any in-game vehicles beyond the oil tanker, highwayman and metro train. None of which are combat vehicles
My Fallout Project leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35048.0

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 12:54:21 PM »
The NCR does have trucks, Enclave has Vertibirds, I know at least one tribal gang uses motorcycles, NCR also has mounted Infantry and A small but effective fleet of vertibirds. Vehicles are around they're just not in the games

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »
The NCR does have trucks, Enclave has Vertibirds, I know at least one tribal gang uses motorcycles, NCR also has mounted Infantry and A small but effective fleet of vertibirds. Vehicles are around they're just not in the games

Supply trucks appear in FO2 but are never used and wouldn't be combat vehicles anyway.
Vertibirds are just awesome  :D
Which gang uses motorbikes?
NCR mounted infantry only appear in "All Roads", there is no other appearance of horses, they are basically extinct in Fallout.

Certainly in my rules Vertibirds are the only vehicle usable.
There is some cool Fallout 3 concept art of cavalry on giant molerats though!

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 11:43:27 PM »
You had me at molerat riding warriors. But all roads happened like 2 years before Fallout NV if horses were exdtinct they would not be around at all and being around they would have to breed so I think they would be around. You know what we need some good fallout novels like what halo and gears of war has.

Offline Infojunky

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 12:32:38 AM »
Well the Fallout Bible is a good place to start. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »
But all roads happened like 2 years before Fallout NV if horses were exdtinct they would not be around at all and being around they would have to breed so I think they would be around. .

All Roads is immediately before the events of New Vegas, not 2 years, otherwise Victor left you lying in that grave a long time!  lol

If the NCR ride horses then why are they not in any of the six Fallout games so far? Why are Brahmin used as pack animals if they have horses?
The artist made a mistake in the comic.

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 10:04:41 AM »
Why are Brahmin used as pack animals if they have horses?

Because two heads are better then one.

Offline Infojunky

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 10:54:11 AM »
If the NCR ride horses then why are they not in any of the six Fallout games so far? Why are Brahmin used as pack animals if they have horses?

I don't recall horse being mentioned in the games.

Bit of history here; I started playing Fallout at the beginning, tickled pink that it was set in California and Nevada, as I was living in Carson City at the time. I was also a huge fan Of GURPS at that point. So I was on a couple of Mailing lists that where ancillary sources for both the Gurps and Fallout. Not a insider, but I had regular news. All that means I have been a fan for a long time, and am sharing currently available resources I know of. There has been a lot of secondary and Fan work on Fallout so there are lots of hidden tidbits floating on the net.

Related, I am a huge fan of Post Apocalyptic/Cyberpunk settings and played a lot of games base around those themes. So if I wandering into talking about vehicles and vehicular combat and other such related subjects it isn't necessarily directly Fallout related but in the same ballpark.

With all that I am a basically a Research Geographer by trade as such compare and contrast is a automatic reflex with each new project, so if I toss out a reference or two or a dozen it is for perusal for useful ideas or info not a suggestion that they have done it right and you are wrong. Nor am I trying to take over, I have my own bad ideas to kick around, and probably with kick out the call for Help when I get obsessive over a detail or three. If I come across as bossy figure it is the Net and well... Honestly I am but I don't mean it.

Offline emperorpenguin

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »
I don't recall horse being mentioned in the games.

My point exactly.

Have you developed any more ideas Bubbles?

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
Well I've been thinking about how close combat should be done and I reckon it should go Roll to hit and damage done how tough your armour is will affect what the opponent has to roll to hit. I also wanna involve a vats type thing so Snipers can pick what area of an enemy they want to hit so a sniper can choose to hit someone in the leg and slow them down if he can't outright kill them.