Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Death of Warhammer Historical  (Read 10466 times)

Offline DoctorDuckButter

• Bookworm
Re: Death of Warhammer Historical
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
I have never been a WH fan, but the loss of any historical gaming source is not good.

I agree, I was exposed to Historical Gaming because of GW, and now I really don't play their games, but it was a gateway into the hobby. Any Historical gaming is good for the hobby as a whole, in the same way that Marvel is good for DC. Odds are that someone who reads X-Men, will eventually pick up a DC title that sounds fun.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »
...and I do not see what seems to be the trouble. GWH produced tons of games with lots of add ons and supplements.

Everybody who likes the games can still play them.
I regret the loss of GWH because I think they produced good books.

What I am curios about is if Wargames Illustrated will finally ( hopefully ) name other skirmish games  than always LOTOW for small scale scenarios ! Did they have any relations ?
, ,

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »
I agree, I was exposed to Historical Gaming because of GW, and now I really don't play their games, but it was a gateway into the hobby.

That is exactly why GW killed WHH, GW management do not want you progressing from the core Games, Warhammer for life and nothing else.

Any Historical gaming is good for the hobby as a whole,

Do not forget that "the hobby" as we know it and the "GW hobby" are distinctly different things, GW does not support wargaming and will do as little as possible/nothing to encourage it. GW supports WarhammerGaming.

The shame about WHH and its titles being lost is that it will be increasingly difficult to introduce new players to what are very good games as availability of the books declines. Less an issue for LotOW and WAB, but a huge problem for the newer Kampfgruppe Normandy WW2 game.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »
If they did it purely from a business point of view, then there's no reason they couldn't release them as print on demand for people who DID want the books, even if the price went up a bit. Totally shutting them away forever when the files still exist doesn't help but harms the gaming community. This leads me to lean towards believing the opinion that they got rid because it threatened their core games. GW are more and more creating a division between their hobby culture and the rest of gamingdom, to the point where they almost seem to deny anything much else exists beyond their games. Perhaps WH was a painful reminder to them that it does.

On the subject of LoToW, I like it, but find it's a bit too melee focussed at times. I have Gutshot to try yet but I hear great things about it. Shame it really needs a third player minimum to act as a GM. How many friends does this book think I have? :D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
<snip> How many friends does this book think I have? :D

Two or more.

Texians know everybody, don't ya' know?

To my friends in/from Texas - just kidding!  Out the revolvers down!

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »
GW does not support wargaming and will do as little as possible/nothing to encourage it. GW supports WarhammerGaming.

Yes.

GW are more and more creating a division between their hobby culture and the rest of gamingdom, to the point where they almost seem to deny anything much else exists beyond their games. Perhaps WH was a painful reminder to them that it does.

And yes.

My points exactly, back at the top of page 2! ;)  :D

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »
We said it better!  ;)

Seriously though, it is a shame that it has gone in this direction. I wonder if it'll ever turn around. If I wont the Euromillions it probably would! lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2012, 04:18:20 PM »
We said it better!  ;)

You certainly said it shorter!  :)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »
Too bad Perry Miniatures does not pick up selling these rules sets...
I would think they could make some arrangement with GW to do this...

Darkoath

Offline Notts Gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »
I was one of the writers (along with many I assume) whose project was 'next in line' to be published - back in December 2010.

WHH was always a fairly small set up with the 'editor' (pre- Forgeworld) doing much of the work (even down to packaging up the books for despatch - so I believe) - almost a one man show.

I don't know much about the politics of GW but one thing I do know is that majority of the staff (that I have spoken to in GW shops) did not know about the existance of WHH.

If nothing else WHH was a good starting point for would be authors to vent their creative juices.