Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dr Who meets the Sweeney (game wot I played with my sons)  (Read 2377 times)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
Posted at Frothers and WAMP but figured I'd circulate here as well.

Sat down today as my Memorial Day weekend starts with my boys, aged seven and eight, and had a game of Dr. Who. They've played the game since they were four and five so they know the rules easy enough and it's short enough to keep their interest, hard thing in the age of internet and video games.

I played The Sweeney, which tend to be more disposable characters than even UNIT soldiers. My youngest took the UNIT troops led by the Brigadier and my oldest played as his usual Dalek antagonists.

The Flying Squad alongside the Doctor as the first turn begins.

The Dalek and Dalek trooper conga line at the other end of the board.

UNIT troops begin their advance across the board.

Alongside an out of time and space Orcini, Knight of Oberon and Bostock his faithful squire.

Apologies for the fuzzy picture but quite a few came out as rubbish and that was the best of the bunch unfortunately. My youngest son's favorite characters from Dr. Who are Orcini and Bostock so I converted the characters with suggestions from the Dr. Who Miniatures Game site. There's something about bastic tipped ammunition that tickles my son's fancy.

Daleks start assaulting down an alleyway exterminating all that stand in their way. This would be mostly members of the Police who found their revolvers no match for Dalekanium armor.

The Doctor starts moving towards a warehouse.brewery in hopes of finding supplies to begin making an invention.

The Brigadier leads a daring charge of riflemen to slow down the advance.

Which fails as the Dalek troopers burst through the warehouse doors and summarily cut down three police officers, Regan and succumbs to disruptor fire.

And a policeman empties his revolver into a Dalek to no effect. As would be the standard of the day. Only UNIT and Orcini would inflict any Dalek casualties today.

The Dalek Troopers after the carnage.

The pitiful remains of my force with more out of focus action.

After the first wave of UNIT troops were slaughtered, including the Brigadier going down, the second wave moves up to assault.

And two Daleks stood guard ready to back up if there were any Dalek casualties. Which there were... not many mind you. The sniper on the rooftop popped the heavy weapon Dalek's top in the third turn and a heavy machinegun wiped out the troopers but the Daleks were undeterred for the most part and continued an advance. With the attack and loss of the warehouse the Doctor was unable to start making an invention to turn the tide and with nothing more than steely nerves UNIT and the police could not stop the advance.

More or less a last stand as the Doctor hides behind the warehouse and no doubt wonders who scripted this episode that has him being so ineffectual.

And the Daleks push well past the UNIT front lines and the collective morale of UNIT breaks and they leave the field to mount there next assault that will come in the next game...

Unless we try a Sontaran or Cybermen game for a change of pace.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: Dr Who meets the Sweeney (game wot I played with my sons)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:42:37 AM »
Fantastic. I've been tempted to do genre-blended Who games for a while now. I'm thinking Heart of Darkness and V for Vendetta to start with.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »
Excellent miniatures and scenery, even better to enjoy them with your family.

Now get a felt pen and edge those WWG paper cars ;)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:41:02 PM »
"Get yer bonded-polycarbide armour on -- You're nicked!"

Looks like a lot of fun. What rules did you use?  Doctor Who Miniatures Game and/or 7TV, the old Invasion:Earth rules, Geezers! or something else?

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »
I've always used the Doctor Who Miniatures Game and do add stuff from 7TV as well. Probably the some of the smoothest and easiest to grok rules I've had the pleasure of playing over the years.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
That was a very enjoyable battle report.  :-*
You have a nice collection of miniatures and terrain.  :D

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »
I've always used the Doctor Who Miniatures Game and do add stuff from 7TV as well. Probably the some of the smoothest and easiest to grok rules I've had the pleasure of playing over the years.

Aww bless ya :)
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV