Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:45:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690634
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Japanese Samurai Skirmisher Rules  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Japanese Samurai Skirmisher Rules
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 09:20:35 AM »
There is no official version. Just what's hanging round the forum. We use my mod a lot but still needs a lot of work so it just isn't saga with katana and ninja.

:)
Rich J

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
If you are looking for true "skirmish" (about 10/12 figures per game) then the old Bushido RPG is an excellent combat/skills system....note: this is not the newer Boutique Fantasy game that uses the same name.

As mentioned earlier Katana is very good, as is the "Japanese Art of War"

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
If you are looking for true "skirmish" (about 10/12 figures per game) then the old Bushido RPG is an excellent combat/skills system....note: this is not the newer Boutique Fantasy game that uses the same name.

As mentioned earlier Katana is very good, as is the "Japanese Art of War"

I would highly recommend Rich Js Bushi No Yme as they are a SOBH/Flying Lead inspired set of rules, the dynamics are excellent and really capture the feel for the period including should you wish Fantasy elements and folklore. It is truly a labour of love

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 10:51:35 AM »
It was :)
Doing a 1 on 1 samurai challenge set based on 2HW gladiator mechanics at the moment to satisfy the Musashi cravings   :)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »
I got BoB the other week, while I must say they look like a solid set of rules (good mix of detail and playability) but putting them forward everytime someone wants a specific rules set for a specific genre is a bit desperate.
Rich J

The reason why Faust may raise Brink of Battle as a possible candidate whenever anyone is asking for a historical skirmish game is because the rules are generic enough to cover a large chunk of history while detailed enough to represent each of the 3 periods the game timeline has been divided into.

I don't see how you could go wrong  using the BoB rules with the Ancient/Early modern period profiles/weapons. All skills in BoB have specific names, but the true nature of each skill is timeless. Just because something is called "Stoic" instead of "Bushido" doesn't mean that the content sof the rule don't apply to Japanese warrior society

Sure, if you want a set of rules with Japanese fluff, Japanese history bits, and pictures of Japanese models Brink of Battle won't please you. It won't please you in any way no matter what historical period you want to play if that is your criteria for a good set of rules.

If you on the other hand want a set of historical rules that play well and can represent Japanese Samurai period among many others - then check out Brink of Battle. The beauty of that set of rules is just that, you can use it with pretty much any range of historical miniatures and play with 5-20 miniatures per side.
For me it is more important to have good rules that work with all kinds of periods than cram the book with stuff I can learn for myself using Wikipedia.

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 07:13:32 AM »
Problem is you can take that argument and apply it to most skirmish sets. We have regularly done it in the past. Don't get me wrong BoB are a solid set of rules, will not (like any set) appeal to everyone but I quite like them. In the end though people tend to want to pick up a set and be able to play without lots of research. Now eventually there willbe playlists for lots of periods using BoB which will be great. However, my point was until a detailed force list is available from whatever source they will not be a lot of help for someone to start a new period if they want any real period feel. If they want to do the work themselves fine, but most people are not like us, they want it 'there'.  I speak from experience here.  :)

Offline Henrix

• Scientist
  • Fernwright
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:46 AM »
In my experience a specific set of rules can evoke a lot more flavour for a period (or setting) than generic ones. You can take into account how troops react, how leaders behave, and so on.

Where can you find Bushi No Yume, by the way? Always looking for more rules to read, and I am a fan of SoBH.
--

Offline Black Sheep

• Student
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »
I've also looked through the Brink of Battle rules and I agree that they'd be a good choice.

They are intentionally designed to be able to fit any period or setting required by the player without feeling completely generic and diluted. Since there are no set stat blocks, though, it is a little harder to just pick up and play, but I wouldn't say it requires a lot of research to figure out where you need to go... instead, I like that it's flexible enough that we could both be fielding Samurai and mine could end up being completely different from yours!

No two forces will play the same because it's all based on the feel you want.

Give it a look... it's worth checking out!

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »
Oooo better go and get my socks and puppet.

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 05:35:58 PM »
I may as well say - Flying Lead would work a treat - the person will have to do so much work to make them feel right.

That's quite ironic because Flying Lead and Bushi No Yume are pretty much the same game ::)

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »
And needed a lot of work and tweaks to make them feel right.  Which proves my point. Can't really see any irony. Also the are pretty different in the end in vital areas.

Rich

Offline Black Sheep

• Student
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 06:09:46 PM »

Kinda curious what that's supposed to mean, but pretty sure I already know. :)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
[q
uote author=Rich J link=topic=42217.msg496621#msg496621 date=1339170739]

[/quote]

He
 thinks its me posting as another person to promote my rules.

And he's dead wrong. Anyone who knows me can tell you thats not how I roll.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Black Sheep

• Student
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 06:39:57 PM »
That's what I assumed.

I'm new to the forum and I will admit I would not have made account here before as I'm really not that into hsitoricals as a general rule.

That having been said, I don't know much about other skirmish games that are set up for a Japanese feel. I can only comment on my experience with Brink of Battle being a positive one and seeing that is has potential to be used for any setting.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »
Well thanks for your business, welcome to the forum, and thanks for your feedback on the game!