Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:50:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ebay coup or good cheap fun? ye olde superhero with axe.  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
Ebay coup or good cheap fun? ye olde superhero with axe.
« on: February 05, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »
On ebay recently I picked up that Ral Partha Death Dealer knock off fig, Superhero with Axe. It is apparently a re-issue from 1995. Super Old School, lots of fun. I got it for $2.85, new in blister. Was this a steal because the seller didn't mention or market the fact that its Frazetta inspired or is it worthless because its a re-issue? I thought I would make sure it wasn't a hot commodity before I tore it open to fondle it.  I'm certainly happy I got it either way.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »
The original of that figure was the first I ever bought (in 1978), it got me into this hobby  :)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:43:04 PM »
Reissues or originals, it matters not to me. A bas collectormania! Congratulations on your find!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
Incidentally, if you're looking for just any Death Dealer and don't need it to be the Ral Partha one, you might have luck if you contact David at Bronze Age about it. He's sculpted one which he doesn't sell for copyright purposes, but that doesn't mean he can't give them away. I got one the first time I made an order from him (and it's very nice indeed - though it's only on foot).

I can't promise anything of course, and I hope I'm not putting David in a predicament by bringing this up.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:20:20 PM »
Quote from: "matakishi"
The original of that figure was the first I ever bought (in 1978), it got me into this hobby  :)

Not quite the first I ever bought (that honor belongs to a Grenadier Fighter figure) but certainly one of my earlier purchases (from about the same time- circa 1978).

Quote from: "Super_Gibbon"
Was this a steal because the seller didn't mention or market the fact that its Frazetta inspired or is it worthless because its a re-issue?

Frankly, the figure doesn't sell for that much (even with the correct Frazetta attribution). I sold off my original 1970s foot & mounted Ral Partha Death Dealers a while back and they didn't go for that much.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:36:56 PM »

Frankly, the figure doesn't sell for that much (even with the correct Frazetta attribution). I sold off my original 1970s foot & mounted Ral Partha Death Dealers a while back and they didn't go for that much.

Cool. I can open him up and play with him.

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 12:47:22 AM »
EasyEight ordered some stuff from Bronze Age and did not even ask for the not-Death Dealer, and he got one in with his order.  The funny thing was, he had asked me a couple of days before the order arrived if I knew of any companies making that character at present, my answer was " hmmm, you might ask the guys on Lead Adventure, I know Ral Partha did one ages ago..."  

Apparently he got his by going to the mailbox, and I looked in my mailbox for " that super specific mini I was looking for" for about a month before I gave up...

UncleRhino

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 04:27:32 AM »
I likewise got the Bronze Age Death Dealer without asking for it, or even knowing about it. In the same go I got Darkwolf from Fire and Ice as well. David is one of those congenial people who keep this hobby so enjoyable.