Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Feudal figures for circa 1140  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
Feudal figures for circa 1140
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »
Hi,
I am looking for some 28mm knights and sergeants for a small Feudal project. I want to set it in the time of the War between the Empress Matilda and Stephen. However, with the exception of one knight made by Essex miniatures I can't find suitable figures. I know I could use the First Crusade range by the Perrys or the mid 13th century range by Curtseys, but neither if these are exactly want I am after.  

Does anyone have any better ideas? Also, if I have to use Norman/Crusade figures,  do the plastic Normans by Conquest Miniatures match the Perrys?

Cheers!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Feudal figures for circa 1140
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:48:11 PM »
I also had this problem, I couldn't seem to find any figures that were quite right and I am still struggling. I just ordered a few of the new Foundry Normans simply because have a bit more variation to them. They're still not overly accurate for this period but I think this sets them apart from a Hastings style, or Italo-Norman or 1st Crusade army. Just my thoughts on the matter anyway.

http://wargamesfoundry.com/_images/thumbs/NM011_large_1297866636_340x267.png

http://wargamesfoundry.com/_images/thumbs/NM010_large_1298029397_340x297.png

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »
The Perry's First Crusaders are bang on the money for the 'Anarchy', except for the bows are a little too short. Conquest do work alongside Perrys, but you can't mix and match riders as the Conquest mounts are fatter.

The big change in armour seemingly came at the very end of the twelve/beginning of the thirteenth century with great helms, caparisons etc. gradually coming into more general use. This is what you see with Curteys and Crusader, which are ideal for Barons' War, especially the Second.

Regards,

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »
Black Tree Design does a 2nd Crusade range, and their adjuct line of civvies includes a personality pack of Stephen, Matilda, Henry II and Thomas a'Becket (all in court dress), peasants and monks.  Brother Cadfael was popular at the time they brought these out, I think.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 03:50:37 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at the BTD figures but wasn't too sure about the sculpts. do they paint up better than they appear on the website and are they compatible with anyone else's figures?

The Foundry figures do look nice, but they don't seem to do unarmoured cavalry, not a deal breaker, but something to think about. The dismounted knights and characters are nice, but, it's the Foundry price (and that postage!)... I am also guessing these are heroic figures?

Which brings us back to Perrys/Conquest. No dismounted knights and the Perrys do seem to be half round shields rather than all kite shields. Does anyone know if these are separate or not?

Cheers!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:12:32 PM »
You might also want to check out Gripping Beast, they have Normans, Crusaders and El Cid who can all be drafted in.

With the Foundry figures I order through Caliver Books as it's free postage over £10 so essentially buying Foundry figs guarantees free delivery. I'm hoping the Foundry minis scale up with Perry etc. I can let you know at the end of the week if they've arrived.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
Yes, the Perry shields are separate from the figures.

Offline Bindonblood

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 07:06:09 PM »
Mr J, I had looked at GB, but, I am not always entirely happy with their sculpts. I find that the less armour there is on a figure, the flatter it is and the less I like it. Not sure if it is just me...  Good idea about Caliver. I may give that nice Mr Ryan a call... Please let me know how the Foundry figs scale.

Fantastic thanks Janner. I was a bit concerned that there were a lot of 'wasted figures' in the packs. Round shields may be historically correct, but they don't look right!!!!!!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
Sorry for the late reply I had a few problems with Caliver, who it seems had a few problems with Foundry, and so I ended up cancelling my order. However I did manage to get a few of the Foundry figures off ebay and I think that they are a spot on match for Gripping Beast and Crusader. I will certainly be using them together.