Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:46:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689758
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Farm terrain  (Read 2555 times)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
Medieval Farm terrain
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:28:36 AM »
Hi,
I just wanted to show my recently made medieval farm, for use with al sorts of games. I think it turned out quite all right. Please tell me what you think! The second image with a mini for size comparison.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: Medieval Farm terrain
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »
That looks like it could be really useful - the basic style of it looks like it could fit anytime between about AD250 and 1750... or in a very rural area, 1920!

What did you use for the roof? It looks like it's intended to be straw thatch, but more like the colour of heather...

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »
That looks like it could be really useful - the basic style of it looks like it could fit anytime between about AD250 and 1750... or in a very rural area, 1920!

What did you use for the roof? It looks like it's intended to be straw thatch, but more like the colour of heather...

Thanks. The roof is made of towels. I actually stole that idea from this thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36158.msg497306#msg497306 . About the roof: I think I'm quite satisfied with the roof colour, as it's kind of the same colour as this thatched roof:

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:10:06 PM »
The building looks good, although a bit of drybrushing with a slightly lighter brown or grey-brown shade (on both the wood and the thatch) would set it off nicely. It also looks to be a good size, small enough not to take up the whole table but big enough not to look like a shed!

One thing you might want to do for the next half-timber building you do is rough up the timbers before you put them on the building with a bit of sandpaper, for a bit of a weathered look. Just enough sanding to knock the square edges off the timber, that's all. Dragging the teeth of a fine saw up the timber also brings out the grain nicely - hold the saw at ninety degrees to the length of the wood like you intended to cut it, then drag it sideways up the wood. Easier to do this before you cut all the little pieces needed for the half-timber work, obviously!

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »
The building looks good, although a bit of drybrushing with a slightly lighter brown or grey-brown shade (on both the wood and the thatch) would set it off nicely. It also looks to be a good size, small enough not to take up the whole table but big enough not to look like a shed!

One thing you might want to do for the next half-timber building you do is rough up the timbers before you put them on the building with a bit of sandpaper, for a bit of a weathered look. Just enough sanding to knock the square edges off the timber, that's all. Dragging the teeth of a fine saw up the timber also brings out the grain nicely - hold the saw at ninety degrees to the length of the wood like you intended to cut it, then drag it sideways up the wood. Easier to do this before you cut all the little pieces needed for the half-timber work, obviously!

Thanks. As for the weathering and roughening up the wood, I'll bear that in mind next time I'll make a half-timber building.  :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
... I think I'm quite satisfied with the roof colour, as it's kind of the same colour as this thatched roof:

Maybe it's just my monitor; the roof in your pick looks kinda purpley rather than the sort of sandy-grey-brown of thatch. Not that that would be a bad thing anyway, all sorts of things were used for thatch - straw, heather, reeds... But if it looks more brown-y in real life then that's not really an issue.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
Maybe it's just my monitor; the roof in your pick looks kinda purpley rather than the sort of sandy-grey-brown of thatch. Not that that would be a bad thing anyway, all sorts of things were used for thatch - straw, heather, reeds... But if it looks more brown-y in real life then that's not really an issue.

I painted it with scorched brown and drybrushed it with khemri brown (GW colours) so I think it must be your monitor...

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 07:19:10 PM »
I painted it with scorched brown and drybrushed it with khemri brown (GW colours) so I think it must be your monitor...

Though Scorched Brown does goes a bit pinkish when you lighten it.