Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690764
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GWM - Just how bad is it to clean up the castings?  (Read 5865 times)

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
GWM - Just how bad is it to clean up the castings?
« on: June 21, 2012, 02:13:29 AM »
I have been considering placing an order for some Great War Miniatures 1916 - 1918 Germans, but have been put off a bit by much earlier posts re how bad the clean up is before you can paint.  As my free time is somewhat limited, I would rather spend it painting than cleaning off flash (and if the flash is around the helmet, I always seem to leave flat spots!).  The figures look truly excellent in photos (much better than Brigade, of which I have some but have never been satisfied with the size and shape of helmet or some unrealistic poses - and the Brigade machine guns are much too big, except for the newest Austrians, which are quite good).  So, has GWM sorted out the casting problem, or would I be buying a box of "flash?" 

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: GWM - Just how bad is it to clean up the castings?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »
I've only ever bought a few figures so can't comment on everything but the ones I had were fine. No more flash than I'd expect on metal figures in general.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »
The only GWM figures I have are three or so packs of Late WW1 Germans, bought and painted about two years ago, and I can't recall the flash or mold lines being that gruesome. Worse than Copplestone or Pulp Figures, but those are my personal touchstones for super-clean casting!

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »
same here i have the Trench Raiders Sets (both German and British) and theyre well casted  ???

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
It depends on which sets you get, the British are the worst, I got some and had to send them back they were that bad but the replacements were ok & Nick from Northstar dud say that they were going to redo some of the moulds.
The last few packs were ok, the cav has hardly any flash.

I've had some Renegade stuff as bad if not worse than great war, never had a problem win any GB stuff though

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 11:29:06 PM »
Thanks all, you've convinced me.  Looks like an order for some GWM later war Germans is in my future!  I was thinking of ordering the Officers and NCOs pack (a lot of interesting character figures in that), a couple of different packs of Stormtroopers and/or the lightly equipped infantry (that way they can be useful either as late war Germans or post-war Freikorps), the light machine gunners and and the mortar and/or grenade launcher.).   

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 07:58:27 AM »
I got the Germans in light kit and the Germans with Bergman SMGs for basically the same reason, they could be actual WW1 troops, post-WW1 Freikorp or even (given I am a pulp gamer primarily...) the Germanic henchmen of some pulp villain!

I also got the GWM German snipers, almost entirely for that one sniper in a steel facemask. Pure pulp goodness!

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 03:38:27 PM »
Yes, I like figures that can serve multiple roles (cheaper!).  The late war Germans are almost the "Universal Soldier" from 1916 till 1923, as they served on so many Fronts and fought so many different enemy - Italian Front (fighting Italians, French and British - and serving with Austrian allies), Russian Front (again with Austrian allies), Rumanian Front (with Bulgarian and Austrian allies), Greeks, and post-war conflicts (Russian Red Army, Lithuanians, etc.) 

Offline Thenur

• Assistant
    • American Wargamers Association
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:40:02 AM »
I've bought some Germans and British and they are some of my favorite miniatures. I don't remember them having any more clean up than any other companies. The Officers and NCOs are a great pack I would definitely recommend them.
"Wherever you have an efficient government you have a dictatorship."

http://americanwargamersassociation.blogspot.com

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »
I had more than a few early war Germans off Nick and also Maelstrom without problems

Offline Infman

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 06:49:17 AM »
I've just spent a few hours doing about 150 British. Most required some very minor work but I wouldn't have said that they we bad by any means.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
Yes, I like figures that can serve multiple roles (cheaper!).  The late war Germans are almost the "Universal Soldier" from 1916 till 1923, as they served on so many Fronts and fought so many different enemy - Italian Front (fighting Italians, French and British - and serving with Austrian allies), Russian Front (again with Austrian allies), Rumanian Front (with Bulgarian and Austrian allies), Greeks, and post-war conflicts (Russian Red Army, Lithuanians, etc.) 

Well, if it comes to that you can say the same thing about late war British.

Western Front, Macedonia, Italy, The Russian Civil War, Anglo-Irish Troubles 1919 -1922 Occupation of Turkey/ Dardenelles crisis, Shanghai expedition in 1927 and with the British, you can use essentially the same figures for any fictional campaigns, including VBCW up until about 1937. Figures for the thrifty gamer indeed.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »
I have to be honest, because thousands of castings pass through our hands every day, I can see how some bad castings can get out of North Star Central before we notice them. But we don't ask people to struggle cleaning them up. If you are ever unhappy with a casting, we will happily exchange it for you. It also might point out a figure mould we hadn't noticed that is wearing out.

That policy has back fired in the past though. We once had a customer so picky about his Seven Years War castings, I will never, ever accept an order from him again. He is the only person on that list I have to say!  :)

Nick Eyre
North Star

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 11:27:57 PM »
We once had a customer so picky about his Seven Years War castings, I will never, ever accept an order from him again. He is the only person on that list I have to say!  :)

not an Australian is he?

It's Frank from Minden isn't it lol
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »
If you are ever unhappy with a casting, we will happily exchange it for you. It also might point out a figure mould we hadn't noticed that is wearing out.

I can attest to that-Nick has been very helpful
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me