Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:40:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: US Army ditching "digital camo"  (Read 8034 times)

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: US Army ditching "digital camo"
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 11:34:41 PM »
bespoke British made suits lol

Indeed, although the tailoring is probably done in Hong Kong or Shanghai.

If the US Army is reading this then I'd reccomend an account at Hawkes & Gieves. They used to be military tailors anyway.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
It's a sound decision. MultiCam is much more suitable and versatile for today's operations. http://www.forte.jor.br/destaque/o-padrao-de-camuflagem-multicam/

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »
It's a sound decision. MultiCam is much more suitable and versatile for today's operations. http://www.forte.jor.br/destaque/o-padrao-de-camuflagem-multicam/

So what's the conclusion to be drawn here?
1) A light coloured camo is better than a dark one if your objectively chosen backgrounds all happen to be light in colour?
2) That you shouldn't choose a camo called "woodland", if the setting looks like the dry season in Middle East, and the only tree to be found is carefully avoided? ;)

I do admit that today's operations have a tendency to take place in Middle East more often than in Canadian woodlands...

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 07:14:29 PM »
I thought they had figured this out years ago, they just couldn't fish out the money for it.

MCU/Multicam is probably just as bad; British soldiers have been complaining about it for ages, though whether thats because they don't like change or the camo is genuinely rubbish, I don't know.

So the U.S would perhaps be better of making a new uniform, will be interesting to see what emerges from this.

Really? Our troops have been positive about it so far. If someone is 25 feet out they can't be seen.

Offline sleep when Im lead

• Bookworm
    • http://sleepwhenimlead.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »
Multicam or MRT is the pattern opf choice. It works better than anything else I've seen. Not sure it looks as good as a dress uniform tho.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 10:06:40 AM »
Really? Our troops have been positive about it so far. If someone is 25 feet out they can't be seen.

Haha, you haven't heard all the complaints then. Just do a general search on the web and you'll find loads of examples where they dislike it. When I decided I was going to give it a shot myself, I heard no end of complaints whilst at base or during Selection. They wore the old stuff, and all out avoided the new pattern. Only time I've ever seen them wear it was yesterday on Armed forces day or on coming home parades where I believe they have no choice.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »
Soldiers moan about every fucking thing, especially uniforms. It usually means sod all.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 01:13:58 PM »
I've always assumed that the reason the US armed forces change camo so often is to maximise the profits for the clothiers who are bribing the Pentagon's procurement department.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »
I've always assumed that the reason the US armed forces change camo so often is to maximise the profits for the clothiers who are bribing the Pentagon's procurement department.

FWIW, (with all the usual wikipedia warnings and warnings about self-contributed answers to surveys)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bribe_Payers_Index

Another view

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/bribery-business-countries-most-likely_n_1071452.html

"... The survey asked 3,000 business executives how often firms they deal with from different countries engage in bribery, with answers ranging from 0 meaning "always" to 10, meaning "never."

Australia and Canada tied for sixth place with scores of 8.5, Singapore and Britain shared eighth place with scores of 8.3, followed by the U.S. in place 10 with a score of 8.1.

No country was seen as wholly clean, and the survey found companies were almost as likely to pay bribes to other businesses as to public officials in order to win public tenders, avoid regulations, speed up government processes or influence policy..."

And - http://www.forbes.com/sites/williampentland/2012/05/06/worlds-most-bribable-businesses/

"... Here are a few findings from another survey:

Bribery is perceived to occur in all business sectors, but is seen as most common in the public works contracts and construction sector.

The perceived likelihood of companies from a given country to bribe abroad is closely related to views on the level of business integrity at home.

The perceived likelihood of companies from a given country to bribe abroad is strongly related to perceptions of corruption in the public sector of that country.

Bribery between companies across different sectors is seen as just as common as bribery between firms and public officials..."

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_bri_pay_ind-crime-bribe-payers-index

I believe the numbers speak clearly.

Gracias,

Glenn

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:10:50 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 02:08:53 PM »

Or we are an AADHD (Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) prone nation.   lol ;)  ;D

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
Multicam as a pattern is quite good - for just about everything outside of dark old forests (think German black forest, with heavy pine, and darker overall tone).  If you're going to choose one "do all" pattern, Multicam is as good as it gets.  However, I know the actual Crye BDUs built originally were quite weak (just poor design, ripped often etc.).  I have a lot of personal kit in Multicam and it is robustly built, but by a number of vendors.

ACU by contrast (which I wear to work) is garbage.  The uniform design is "okay", but the design itself is horrible.  Colour wise it's useless in just about every single environment known to man - until it's so dirty/mud-stained that it becomes effective.

I don't know if the Army will actually choose Multicam, simply because it would mean admitting that they made the wrong choice about 8 years back...and no one likes admitting they're wrong.  Here's hoping for something worthwhile.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!