Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:51:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: World Works Games Terraclips Malifaux sets  (Read 7908 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
World Works Games Terraclips Malifaux sets
« on: June 29, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »
Not wanting to resurrect a thread from early 2011.

Is anyone using these?  I have seen several reviews from when they were first released but nothing about how they have been used since.

How durable are they?
Given that the sewer tiles will always be on the bottom is it feasible to mount them on mdf and create a drop down into the canal.
How many clips do you need in reality....seems like a lot!

I am thinking of getting a set for Carnevale (colour the brown sewer water blue/green....or at least what passes as blue/green in the Venetian canals) but also to use with Gloire and Savage Worlds.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: World Works Games Terraclips Malifaux sets
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »
There has been quite some user builds, but for some reason not in this forum ;)

Best place is obviously the official WWG forum.

As for clips, it's generally said that you need (number of TCP boxes)+1 clip packs.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »
Honestly, I may buy the dungeon sets  :o

Incredible graphics art. It's like Diablo 3 on tabletop. I know with efforts we can do great modelling things, but for someone busy with work, family, or other hobbies, it's a good way to build a wonderfull 3d dungeon.

I'm still searching for the perfect generic dungeon ruleset, something with the quality or supersystem, but allowing playing solitaire too...and then...Maybe...  :D

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:56:09 AM »
I own multiple sets of the original three. I love them. I've found them to be quite durable, just don't be abusive, as in force clips places they shouldn't go, slam them around, etc... For normal gaming and transportation I've not had any problems.

I have a clip set per cardstock set, knowing that any time I'll use more sets worth of clips than the cardstock sets. The one plus one guideline makes pretty good sense.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:35:03 AM »
Honestly, I may buy the dungeon sets  :o

Incredible graphics art. It's like Diablo 3 on tabletop. I know with efforts we can do great modelling things, but for someone busy with work, family, or other hobbies, it's a good way to build a wonderfull 3d dungeon.

I'm still searching for the perfect generic dungeon ruleset, something with the quality or supersystem, but allowing playing solitaire too...and then...Maybe...  :D
Sunday hero.....On the subject of a good, modular dungeon i would like to point you into the the direction of Tabletop-buildings.nl that offers two series (fieldstone and gothic) of modular dungeons that could be what you are looking for.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »
What I like with cardboard scenery is the modularity and the fact you can easily store it too.

I also like the videogame-ish style it have. It reminds me diablo, dungeon siege, etc...

But first task will be to find a good dungeon crawler generic solitaire rule.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 04:17:36 PM »
I also like the videogame-ish style it have. It reminds me diablo, dungeon siege, etc...

That's exactly why I won't touch cardboard prints with a ten foot pole. If I want to wander among completely flat, texture-mapped polygons, I launch Doom (1993). In miniature gaming, I appreciate true 3D, including the surfaces. :)

Although I admit even WWG is vastly better than no terrain or half-finished terrain with plain cardboard showing. It's a good option if your time and money are both seriously limited. For me, building stuff is nowadays the hobby and gaming is a rare side-effect so I'll find the time, no matter what...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:24:07 PM by Dolmot »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »
I agree with you. But you put something into light : TIME. I cannot practice all my hobbies the way I want, including having a job to fill the fridge and buy the minis and modelling material, sadly  lol

For me 3d cardboard make sense, to simulate a videogame dungeon crawling, since in videogames, a lot of what we see is actually flat too, and only simulate 3d with textures.

Storage and time, but keeping a nice table, budget minded. That's, I believe, the force of this range. It's also why I invested in heroscape huge tiles lot last year, for more classic gaming.

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 11:54:49 PM »
I have to agree with a couple of points made. I much prefer traditional three dimensional terrain. For time, portability, and storage, nice looking cardstock really cannot be beat.

I've found that adding little three dimensional details can really help. This sort of stuff can help clutter up what would otherwise be entirely too clean. I see the same problem with a lot of hand made three dimensional stuff though, the lack of detail makes it look.....off. I think it just comes down to what makes sense for each individual's hobby desires and needs.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 01:06:23 AM »
Tabletop-buildings.nl does not seem to exist...... :'(
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 10:47:36 PM »
I agree about the pro's and con's of Cardboard buildings. Top quality, hand crafted, purpose built scenery will always be preferable, but it is :
Time consuming to make and/or
Expensive to buy
Difficult to store
Difficult to Transport
Limited options (unless you have a lot of spare scenery to exchange/swap pieces between games)

For me it is mainly about the storage and transportation. BUT that is not why I started this thread!

What about the Terraclips sets specifically, how are you finding those with repeated use? I do not trust comments on manufacturer site forums as they are too often censored or excessive "fan boy" territory. There is not one comment there about peeling images, softening of card corners, clips losing tension, all the things I have come to expect from card scenery over the years.
Have WWG really got it sorted, is this the perfect set of card scenery?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 11:06:44 PM »
@Robh:

Apparently, it is fiddly and time consuming enough that many folks leave the WW terrain assembled, or at least half-assembled in modules. Therefore the deterioration of the edges wouldn't be such an issue in those cases... Like you though, I have often wondered (and have yet to see a set in person).  :?

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 11:53:21 PM »
I agree about the pro's and con's of Cardboard buildings. Top quality, hand crafted, purpose built scenery will always be preferable, but it is :
Time consuming to make and/or
Expensive to buy
Difficult to store
Difficult to Transport
Limited options (unless you have a lot of spare scenery to exchange/swap pieces between games)

For me it is mainly about the storage and transportation. BUT that is not why I started this thread!

What about the Terraclips sets specifically, how are you finding those with repeated use? I do not trust comments on manufacturer site forums as they are too often censored or excessive "fan boy" territory. There is not one comment there about peeling images, softening of card corners, clips losing tension, all the things I have come to expect from card scenery over the years.
Have WWG really got it sorted, is this the perfect set of card scenery?

With some care these really should last for years.

IF you can avoid moisture problems inherent in a paper pulp product that will help. I throw packs of the desiccant into each container to help with that. I live in an area that is routinely 90 to 100% humidity and still haven't had any issues.

The other issue I COULD see happening is tearing where the clips are attached to the cardstock. IF you're careful about the way you put them on this should never be a problem either,

With the other concerns... It took the two companies, World Works Games, and Wyrd Miniatures, at least a year and a half to get these right. The expected to release them at GenCon of 2010, and didn't like the way the original batch came out. They then sent it back to the drawing board for release the following year. I expect that they'll stand up well over time, the cardstock feels to be better quality than any of the other paper or cardboard terrain or pieces I've seen since the early 90's.

Also: I've heard quite a few people saying they had a hard time building things, so they leave structures clipped together. I have to admit, I haven't had that issue. I find they go together pretty quickly, once you know the sizes and shapes involved. To be fair, I have a pretty strong grasp of 2d and 3d shapes, and how they interact. It's likely from a professional background, so I've never really thought twice about it.

I wish you were local to me, I'd happily let you play around with my sets to see if it was something you felt comfortable putting resources into.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
Tabletop-buildings.nl does not seem to exist...... :'(
It does but the website is surprisingly enough not available...i just found out. Funny, but i will contact the guy that owns it and see what's happening. I'll keep you posted