Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:33:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Guides & Terrain Guides  (Read 3262 times)

Offline DoctorDuckButter

• Bookworm
Painting Guides & Terrain Guides
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »
Hello All,

I need some recommendations on guides for Painting and Terrain building. I believe myself to be a decent painter, but I keep reading online about different blending techniques and things of that nature that I am clueless about and I want to learn more. As for terrain, I am a complete novice. I am looking to build Old West and natural terrain to begin with and wanted some instructions. IO would prefer something with plenty of pictures and things broken down into steps if possible. Thoughts?

This is some examples of my painting, which as said, I believe is good, but I want to take it up a notch.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: Painting Guides & Terrain Guides
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:20:47 PM »
Well, your painting looks excellent to me, but as for terrain, I've always thought (well, for at least the last 7 years or so) that the best site on the net for terrain is TerraGenesis - http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/

There should be plenty of things there from plants to structures to geology that will keep you busy!

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »
Check out my blog at http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

left side, LABELS lists various styles of terrain and vegitation I have done, regular and for VSF Venus.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »
Best information on figure painting and blending are the Kevin Dallimore books available from Foundry and other places.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:52:36 PM by Mindenbrush »
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »
As Mindenbrush says, the Kevin Dallimore books are great. There are two books: 'Foundry Miniatures Painting and Modelling Guide' and  'Kevin Dallimore's Painting And Modelling Guide: Master Class' both are at a reduced price at Amazon at the moment! The first book is out of stock at the moment though. 

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »
Almost forgot to mention: For a book on terrain making I find Games Workshops How to Make Wargames Terrain to be very good.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »
Almost forgot to mention: For a book on terrain making I find Games Workshops How to Make Wargames Terrain to be very good.

Seconded!

I love how every model has a step by step guide to the basics followed by some images and suggestions on how the piece could be improved.

Fantastic book that I'd recommend whole heartedly to everyone; the only cravat is I'm not sure if it's out of print now? If it is PM me.

Cheers
Andy

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »
Depending on how "advanced" you want to go with your painting. The Dallimore books are an excellent guide on painting Wargame figures to one style. If you like that style look no further. Excellent results, clearly written and superbly illustrated. Well worth the money.

If you want to go beyond wargame figures and into the real of collector or display models and all that involves you need something better.

See here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42719.0

Offline generulpoleaxe

• Librarian
    • Myrmidon Studio
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:47:13 PM »
As you are USA based try and get to Reapercon as the painting classes are taught by some damn good painters.
If Privateer press has an event on see if Meg will be their (head painting lass) as she is pretty damn handy with a brush as well as being very helpfull with explaining techniques etc.

Biggest key is to get the correct consistency for the techniques you are using. Skimmed milk is the look and feel you want for general highlighting as it will allow smooth blending without needing to continually add in a lighter colour.
The other trick is to master shading (thin the paint more) as it's quicker to shade.

I generaly start with a mod tone, shade then highlight. Then I add in extra colour etc for added character whilst finaly tweeking the highlights with an ivory for extra pow (contrast)

hope that helps.