Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690821
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 532
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I Love Tupi.  (Read 5443 times)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
I Love Tupi.
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Just painting up some Tupi Warriors from the Copplestone line and I realised (as I wasn't listening in history class...) I have no idea what those pointy things are...no, not those pointy things. The Spear/club looking thing. Do they throw them or are they more for close quarter stabby action?

Any history would be helpfull.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 10:32:01 PM »
I'm sure I read Mark Copplestone explain somewhere that they were basically clubs (not used so much for stabbing as for clobbering, perhaps). I can't seem to locate that reference right now, though.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 03:53:44 PM »
Just finished and a strange notion struck me. The spear/club things...are they made of wood? I painted all mine to look like metal! :oops:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 11:16:18 PM »
Quote from: "Uncle Mike"
Just finished and a strange notion struck me. The spear/club things...are they made of wood? I painted all mine to look like metal! :oops:

Arghh, they are wooden (black or red wood)and have painted designs on them in red or Yellow.

This is how they are described;
The other main weapon was the tacape.  This as a flat, paddle-shaped club made of heavy black or red wood. It had an oval or circular head which was about an inch thick with very sharp edges.  This was a long club, usually 5-6 ft., and usually was wielded with two hands.  Like the bow, it often had a pattern of coloured wood inlaid into it and particularly during celebrations, it was often decorated with feathers.

The whole article was published in WI some time ago and on Foundry website (now under construction?)

here is a nice little guide on them taken from Heaths book on Meso-america
http://www.balagan.org.uk/war/iberia/1492/brazil/painting_guide.htm

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 11:40:19 PM »
Wow! Great article...I'm totally out to lunch on the paint job thou. The only thing I have right is the hair color! I guess they can be new-wave-tupis, what with there metal facial piercings and mass produced metal club-things. Thanx for the info...this will teach me to slow down a little. :freak:

Still, I was gonna use 'em to battle some dinosaurs so I suppose they don't have to be too acurate. :wink:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 11:50:22 PM »
Wow! Great article...I'm totally out to lunch on the paint job thou. The only thing I have right is the hair color! I guess they can be new-wave-tupis, what with there metal facial piercings and mass produced metal club-things. Thanx for the info...this will teach me to slow down a little. :freak:

Still, I was gonna use 'em to battle some dinosaurs so I suppose they don't have to be too acurate. :wink:

I wouldnt worry I am sure the dinosaurs wont mind  :mrgreen:

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 02:56:57 AM »
It is about as 'historically acurate' as I get. I know dino and tupis existed at some point...somewhere, so, logically they could fight. On, like, an undescovered island...for a treasure, or somthing... :roll:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 09:30:13 AM »
It is about as 'historically acurate' as I get. I know dino and tupis existed at some point...somewhere, so, logically they could fight. On, like, an undescovered island...for a treasure, or somthing... :roll:

Hey you are in Eldorado country lost goold -jungles, hidden tribes. Spot on Mike for Pulp adventures :mrgreen:

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 04:50:41 AM »
Here are some pics

Tupi v.s Dinos

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 06:17:15 AM »
Good looking game you got there. Those weapons look good as metal ones. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 09:04:59 AM »
They look great Mike and as said the metal weapons look good, not shiny abnd I am damn sure they are pleased they have metal ones to fight Dino :mrgreen:

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 11:05:02 PM »
Thanx. I'm still not sure if they (tupis) need tattoos or not...they would look pretty cool with a red line across the eyes...but what about the rest of the body? I'm torn. I'll leave 'em for now as I have tons of other s#$t at home waiting to be primed and painted.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 12:24:33 AM »
Thanx. I'm still not sure if they (tupis) need tattoos or not...they would look pretty cool with a red line across the eyes...but what about the rest of the body? I'm torn. I'll leave 'em for now as I have tons of other s#$t at home waiting to be primed and painted.

THis is what I did with my Botocudo

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 05:24:15 AM »
Nice, the eye makeup matches the weapons and the penis gourds really bring the whole outfit together. :lol:

I think I will go for the red band across the eyes after all.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
I Love Tupi.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 11:26:57 AM »
Yep it is from Estee Lauders summer in Jungle collection, apparently guaranteed not to run even if exposed to Dinosaur saliva :D