Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:52:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Space Wolf army for Warhammer 40k  (Read 5754 times)

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
Space Wolf army for Warhammer 40k
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »
I just put my Space Wolves army on ebay and was asked for more pictures, figured I'd take the opportunity to show em off one last time before they go to a new home. A friend built the army originally for the 2003 LA GT and sold it to me a few years later, and while it looked pretty good I hated the random people coming up and saying "Wow, nice army!". Not that it wasn't nice (it was), it just wasn't my paint job and I always felt like I was taking credit for somebody else work, knowing people that just walked by would think that they were mine. So I set about repainting them, upgrading them to 4th edition, upgrading them again to fifth edition and then AGAIN the new codex, adding units, changing weapons, painting new stuff, changing my mind, changing it back, rebasing, left arm in, left arm out, generally just doing the hokey pokey all about with these things and never actually finishing them completely. It's a far different beast now than when I bought it, and it's taken 6+ years to finish. I've had some FANTASTIC times with em in that time, but I absolutely LOATHED 5th edition, played maybe a dozen games of it altogether and not terribly excited about 6th ed either. At least selling them made me do the final push and get them basically completely finished, finally finished after all these years. They're done and I'm quite happy with the results and I'm SO glad I finished em off before I put em for sale. I've spent YEARS on these guys on and off, and it's REALLY nice to complete a long term project like that, even if I'm not gonna keep em. For my ego and your enjoyment: :P

Lots more pics at http://s1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/R...Space%20Wolves/
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline Phelan

• Bookworm
Re: Space Wolf army for Warhammer 40k
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:56:06 PM »
Awesome army!  :o

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 11:13:43 AM »
Really good. Some of the most natural faces I've ever seen on 40k figures.

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »
cry havoc! and let slip the wolves of WAR!!!!!! very nice :o :o :-* :-*

Offline panzerfaust65

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
Lovely painted army!! great stuff ;D
get to the chopperrrr!

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:30:18 AM »
A shame that you're not going to use them anymore. They look fabulous.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline MadMö

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »
Awesome! :o

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:33:43 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's funny, I started tallying up all the unpainted stuff I have left since I only sold the painted stuff, and I still have well over 3k points of characters, marines, long fangs and terminators. Both the greatest AND the worst thing about working at a game store is the employee discount and constant ability to snag a box any time you want just because you need a few certain bitz for a conversion. You know you were far too into a game when you just so happen to have a complete and perfectly viable army sitting around as loose bitz in a Plano case and not even realizing it :P

So Space Wolves: Take 2 is underway. Got one squad of grey Hunters and a unit of bikers mostly done, just need some final detailing and unit markings. The rest are almost completely assembled and ready for primer. This time I'm going with a scheme more like the Njal figure above who was done as a test model for a more neutral/brownish grey instead of the bluish grey. Using Rustoleum grey primer as the base color, wash with GW Devlan Mud, touch up with Delta Ceramcoat Rain Grey, some final highlights here and there with DC Quaker Grey. Looks about as good as the original army and takes a fraction of the time as building up from black primer, I'll snag some photos if I have time, but if you look at Njal and then look at the other figs again you should see the difference. And the funniest part is not only will the new army paint up super quick, but it's probably a stronger list for the new edition than the old one.

So far for the new army I have a number of different wolf priests and rune priests
3x 10 grey hunter units with wulfen, wolf standard, power weapon and 2 meltaguns
16 terminators with various weapon loadouts
2x long fangs units with 5 missile launchers
1x long fangs unit with 5 heavy bolters
6 bikes including power weapon, wolf guard biker with power fist and an attack bike
dreadnought with some magnetized weapon options
razorback with heavy bolters

Probably gonna pick up a Logan Grimnar so the terminators will count as troops. I stopped buying before they switched to resin and I've been wanting to give the finecast a try, even with all the negative feedback I've seen. Also thinking I won't use the dread or razorback and just make the army either all infantry or else convert up some droppods and make em a drop list. Not gonna buy any new pods, they're way too expensive (especially as I'd need 6+ of em) and I don't work at a shop anymore (I miss my discount /sadface). Worse that can happen is I play the new army for a while, decide I still don't like the newer editions and sell them too :)

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »
That's a beautiful army! :-* There's a few  non-GW heads I don't recognize; are they conversions/sculpts, or some aftermarket company?

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »
some of the heads were form the Empire flagellants box, some from the Chaos marauder horsemen, and some (like the Wolvering/Logan head) are from maxmini.eu who make some fantastic resin aftermarket conversion kits