Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:27:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chainmail - viking saxon norman Dark Ages  (Read 5751 times)

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
Chainmail - viking saxon norman Dark Ages
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »
I've started out painting some dark ages stuff - saxons, vikings etc and I really like the effect on these armours in some catalogues like wargames foundry that makes them look almost like a dark grey colour, any idea which paints they used for those little heroes?

So far i'm thinking black base - drybrush GW boltgun or vallejo gunmetal neither of which ive bought yet then maybe a very little light natural steel drybrushing for highlights. Its the drab, dark grey almost woolen looking effect im after which I fancy is the most historically accurate for this period where they were made of Iron as opposed to steel.

Is this the right way to go just this is getting expensive and I need to buy some paint stripper to as the origonal matt black base - natural steel drybrush is just waaaaay to light for my liking. It just looks so wrong!

Any help much appreciated :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:36:49 PM by Billythefish »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Chainmail - that glorious dark age look
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
Before you strip the ones you've done, try applying a black or dark brown wash to them, it might dull it down to an acceptable level.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »
No didnt work :( im thinking about actually just drybrushing them with a dark grey next time as im trying to get the most realistic look I can with them.

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
What I do for chainmail is a black base coat, drybrush Boltgun Metal and black washes (I use Nuln Oil by GW) until it becomes as dark and dull as I want...looks quite realistic when compared to the real chainmails I've seen.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:17:33 PM »
Vallejo Smoke over top of a metal drybrush gives the look I like.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
If you want to dull the metallic quality of metal paints, why not mix them with ordinary paint?

I suggest:

Mix some silvered metal paint with a bit of grey paint, and then drybrush over a very dark grey basecoat. Then, drybrush again very lightly with more metal/grey paint (adding rather less grey this time), and finally wash with a thin grey/brown ink wash.

A great wash can be made with a chestnut ink diluted with some water, to which you add a tiny bit of blue, and a tiny bit of black. This gives you a great shade for oily metal or unburnished iron, and you can adjust the blue and black as you need.

///Edit///

For a plain new dark iron, add some black paint to a bright/steel silvered paint.

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »
My little heroes are on display in the lower picture..

This is the effect I'm after http://www.crusaderminiatures.com/prod.php?prod=160&cat=4&sub=13&page=1

I think by mixing a dark grey with I assume vallejo gunmental or that GW boltgun is how to achieve it? Just I dont want to spend anymore money on crap paints that dont come up as they appear on the colour charts!

I have basalt grey + natural steel but I think they will be to light, or do u think I should just go black - really dark grey - then drybrush a little with natural steel to get the rigth effect?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:39:59 PM by Billythefish »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »
Yeah you're right, the metal you've used is much too bright. I haven't used the new GW Boltgun colour but the old one was a great, dull metallic colour that would do the job fine. I would assume the new one is okay too.

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »
I know the following picture doesn't have chainmail, but this is how metal bits look if I'm done with them:

As I've said, it's a black undercoat followed by Boltgun Metal (very very very old one to be honest) and about two/ three black washes (Nuln Oil).

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 06:18:44 PM »
Job looks a good one there likes, hopefully we'll see some more helpful ideas come along but I reckon its going to be black base, drybrush boltgun then that nice wash thing you got on the go there :)

Fortunatley it looks like im going to get away with re-overcoating the figs in my link, paint stripper not needed (yet!)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Chainmail - viking saxon norman Dark Ages
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »
Why not just wash the ones you've already painted? A few washes will certainly dull them down.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 07:32:47 PM »
I use black basecoat, drybrushed with GW Boltgun metal, then add a very gentle drybrush of GW Chainmail to highlight key areas. Works for me...

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:57:05 PM »
Looking rather bonny your lads above there Guitar nice job and thanks alot for sharing them. I think i'll go down this route now i've seen yours, plus maybe bung in Nuln Oil as Necro suggested, that dull though looks to my liking.

To get the ultimate chainmail I think ill have to go for the earlier advice and mix a dark grey with one of these gunmetals, but I just want to get some 40-60 figures/a warband around my belt to get my collection going before such tinkering :)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:07 PM »
Glad to be of some help.  :)

I forgot to mention that I matt down the models with Testor's Dullcote - including all armour and weapons. That contributes to the overall effect.

Best of luck with your models.

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
I forgot to mention that I matt down the models with Testor's Dullcote - including all armour and weapons. That contributes to the overall effect.

Same here by the way, but even before I use Dullcote the effect will be matt/ dull.