Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:13:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686620
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chainmail - viking saxon norman Dark Ages  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Chainmail - viking saxon norman Dark Ages
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »
@ Billythefish:

Mixing regular paints and metallics is easy and does work well. However, I suspect that you are really after a very simple out-of-the-pot method? You may have to experiment a bit first, and when you get it right, mix up some custom paints yourself (and number the bottles sequentially by stage of application) so that all your future chain mail painting efforts will match.

Or, if you are after that very specific effect, you could always email Tom Weiss (the painter) and ask him how he did it? ;)

Offline deathjester25

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »
I use black basecoat, drybrushed with GW Boltgun metal, then add a very gentle drybrush of GW Chainmail to highlight key areas. Works for me...

Are these Westwind minis? They look really nice

Offline Rutiguer2701

• Assistant
    • Rafalinux
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 07:54:57 PM »
I'm totally agree with necrocannibal, and the outcome is similar as seen on guitarheroandy's pictures:

1. Black base coat;
2. heavy drybrushing with GW Boltgun;
3. Badab black wash.

The wash is tricky, because I water down first Badab Black, so I can control the shading effect.

Do you feel that is too "chainmail"? Ok, no problem, just apply another diluted wash.

Do you feel is too dark? No problem again: apply a gently drybrushing with GW Boltgun.

Anyway, there's no magic recipe. I'm convinced that one must find their own way.

Good luck and tell us about the minis!
My blog (in Spanish, sorry): http://www.rafalinux.com/impetuoso

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
Finished my Huscarls and after 20 years out of the sport I'm very happy with them, though I did bang out some two dozen HYW stuff first.

Chainmail - Matt black then drybrush GW Leadbelcher (replacement for GW Boltgun I was told), then washed with GW Nuln Oil.

When they'd dried I re-drybrushed in places that were a bit to black with Leadbelcher and i'm very happy so far :)

They haven't been varnished however as I dont seem to be able to find that Testors Dullcoat stuff in the UK, any alternatives you guys like using this side of the pond much appreciated. Think ill tidy up around their feet a bit and maybe drybrush some white or very light sand type colour around the edge of the bases before I do :)

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
They look really good. Great work!
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »
They look really good! Well done!

Ref Testor's Dullcote, have you tried Antenocitis Workshop? They sell both spray and brush-on. http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=varnish+spray

Also, Deathjester25 asked about who manufactures the models in my photos. They are mainly Gripping Beast, with some West Wind. The last pic is a GB Welsh Teulu warrior with a West Wind head...several of my Welsh Teulu have that combination, as the GB Teulu heads aren't up to much, although the bodies are good (in my opinion, of course).

Offline Rutiguer2701

• Assistant
    • Rafalinux
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 06:18:47 PM »
I'm sure the minis are better "in real life" than in a picture, because photos gives a "yellowish" tone. Anyway, I'm agree with you, the chainmail is now almost perfect. Great look, indeed.

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 07:34:16 PM »
Cheers you three :)

Btw Guitar did you hand paint the gold trim on that guys chain or is it a transfer? If handpainted good games mate thats awesome with the shading and all  :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:05:04 AM by Billythefish »

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »
All my Dark Ages stuff is handpainted - all banners, shields, clothing trim, everything...