Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:30:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Apes and Artifacts :Empire of the Dead Battle Report  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
    • Laughing Ferret Lab Hobby Blog
Apes and Artifacts :Empire of the Dead Battle Report
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:13:34 AM »
From our last EotD game night:

This time Lord Greystoke and his followers were once again trying to track down the illusive artifacts that were rumored to be hidden in the countryside.  All previous rumors had been revealed false, but never let it be said that James Clayton, Lord of Greystoke, is anything but thorough and persistent! Unfortunately, word of the artifact had reached the ears of Her Highness of the Hinterland Hussies.  It seems they were going to press a claim for the valuable antique and try to discover it first!

The map lead to the ruins of a medieval town, where once a tower stood, and the remains of a graveyard and crumbling stone walls that marked the location of long-gone wooden homes.

(We added some more walls before the game started)

The final dramatic scene: Was the artifact found?  Who retained possession if so?  

Rest of the Battle text here:
http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/2012/07/apes-and-artifacts-empire-of-dead.html
"If History teaches us anything, it is that people don't really learn from history."

Hobby Pledge 2014: Bought: .  Painted: . (Pure hobby: no commissions included)
Hobby Blog is here: http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/
Commission Studio is here: http://www.laughingferretstudio

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Re: Apes and Artifacts :Empire of the Dead Battle Report
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
Hurray! I've been looking forward to a new battle report. Go apes!  ;)
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »
Question:

How does "war band" advancement compare to FRPG advancement?  I stopped OD&D/AD&D decades ago (when second edition was building steam.)  How does advancement affect playability/balance versus other teams?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
Great AAR sir!  :D

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:56:43 AM »
Lovely photos there Sir!  :-*

I'm reminded I really need to buy some of those Hinterland miniatures.  :D

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:40:05 AM »
Very enjoyable!

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:38:39 AM »
Thanks all!  :D

Question:

How does "war band" advancement compare to FRPG advancement?  I stopped OD&D/AD&D decades ago (when second edition was building steam.)  How does advancement affect playability/balance versus other teams?

Gracias,

Glenn

It is quite a bit different than character experience advancement from games like D&D... in those typically characters get xp for kills, treasure gained and other rewards decided on by a DM and each character in the party has their own advancement and choices to make as they 'level up' as well as likely some standard advances, like more hit points, better combat or magic skills, etc.

This game has a system that is much simpler.  the 'warband' earns xp as a group in the form of 'shillings' after each game. You get more for a win than loss, plus some for every opponent you take out and a bit for each of your own that isn't taken out, and the scenario might give you some more for goals met.  This goes into your bank and you can use it to hire new members, equipment and weapons, or spend 10 for a roll to advance a member's stats or to gain a skill. These are random rolls, so there is some luck involved. You can also buy 'influences' that you can use to influence (fancy that) a game, by selecting the time of day or bringing on an angry mob, etc.   

So you could focus on hiring as many people as possible, or focus on your characters to get them better stats & skills to survive & thrive, or better weapons, or try to balance it all.  You might well decide to keep a low investment on flunkies, so they may not advance at all as you spend your shillings for new or other members, -where in an RPG that wouldn't happen- all the characters are 'stars' in their own right and would advance.

As for balance, jury is still out on that as far as I'm concerned.  The only balancing factor comes post-game.  An underdog team earns more shillings if they face a team that has a higher rating (at 50 shilling increments). So while the game is going on, an under-rated team is going to be at a big disadvantage. I could see that this might cause a situation where the strong get stronger as the weak get weaker, since the bonus shillings is not much compared to the damage that can be inflicted.  For example, if a team spends their shillings on new recruits, then each new member is worth another 2 shillings if they survive the next game.. if 11 such, that's 22 shillings just from survivors.. enough for 2 more guys with knives, which is then 26 shillings more after the next game, and so on.

But we haven't played enough games in succession for me to be sure- it's just a possible concern in my mind right now. If there are many teams to play (such as people playing more than one team, so games can be selected to bring similar ratings together) then it might be fine- that's what we've been aiming for.

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
Yea.  You worked me over hard in that game.
Still, a ton of fun!
*beer*
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »
Great looking game and awesome to see those miniatures in action!

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 09:08:09 AM »
Richard,
 I beg to differ, but those are my figures getting trounced in this battle report.  I believe you were in the other battle report. 
I realize it is still traumatic to see those gorillas and all.  My figures are still in therapy. 
I fielded a Daughters of the empire Gentlewomen's club.  Hinterland and 1 foundry figure. 
Leadfool
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
where is that excellent massive dead tree from?

Offline pagumb

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 04:33:06 PM »
Nice battle report with cool pics.  Really love the Ape faction.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 02:56:25 AM »
A really nice AAR.
Boy, the apes kicked some butt.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Laughing Ferret

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 07:16:21 AM »
where is that excellent massive dead tree from?

That came from a petstore... some great terrain in the aquarium & terrarium isles  :D

Thanks all :)

I have some more ape minis to paint up to add in  ;)