Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689749
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: size of hovel buildings  (Read 3571 times)

Offline monkme

• Assistant
size of hovel buildings
« on: February 17, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »
I have recently been looking to buy some wild west buildings from hovel for my wild west town. However my Dad gave me some old plans from wargames illustrated (I think!) and told me it would be easier and cheaper to build my own. I built a barn using the plans. Then I built an undertakers office and an out-house. I took some photos of the buildings and our games that I shall put up in the near future!

However I am still looking to buy a church from hovel, the one in their ACW section. Does anyone have it or know how high the steeple is as if I buy it I want to make sure that it will fit in with the buildings I have already.

Thanks in advance
-------------------
We're Doomed!!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: size of hovel buildings
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:16:26 PM »
Quote from: "monkme"
I have recently been looking to buy some wild west buildings from hovel for my wild west town. However my Dad gave me some old plans from wargames illustrated (I think!) and told me it would be easier and cheaper to build my own. I built a barn using the plans. Then I built an undertakers office and an out-house. I took some photos of the buildings and our games that I shall put up in the near future!

However I am still looking to buy a church from hovel, the one in their ACW section. Does anyone have it or know how high the steeple is as if I buy it I want to make sure that it will fit in with the buildings I have already.

Thanks in advance

From memory, they are true 25mm and will be a bit smaller than the Gary chalk plans

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
size of hovel buildings
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:31:46 AM »
I liked the Arnica Montana range they go pretty well with the old foundry and not to bad with Black Scorpion (what I use) I am a bit slow with getting them done seeing that I have this bug to do interiors.  Adds a lot of time.  So far I have started a Baber shop, Livery and a Gun store and I finally bought a Digital camera so maybe I will get some pictures of my stuff up.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline MuleSkinner

• Librarian
size of hovel buildings
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:48:46 AM »
I'm like you bandit, i have to do the interiors. I bought some arnica models in december and i've still only finished 2 of them.
All that planking  :freak:
Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and grazes with thin strips of bacon.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
size of hovel buildings
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:15:13 AM »
Muleskinner:  What are you using for you interior?  My Baber shop I used coffee stirrers for the planking but now I am using evergreen sheet styrene from http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/ for wainscoting (sp). Various doll house and resin furniture with a mix of home made stuff.  I also found some rough wood planking sheets that I am using for the floors it works pretty well but I can remember the company name (castle something) I just started my Sheriffs office and general store using Cow town kits and I am working on my Saloon design.  The rest of my plans have a dress store, bathhouse, undertakers and a House of pleasure all in various stages.  
I am having trouble with scale, most of the buildings I have are not architecturally in scale so it’s hard to make them look right inside but I will usually add on.  I can't find any good floor plans on Google so I am tempted to buy some whitewash city sets just for the floor plans, although I think they run on the small size.  As for the hovel buildings I only have the saloon which is rather small and you can’t do an interior but it paints up nice.  lots of work but fun. Enjoy

Offline MuleSkinner

• Librarian
size of hovel buildings
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:31:55 AM »
Bandit:- i started using obechi wood for planking but had problems with warping so i switched to really thin plasticard and it worked a treat. if u gently rub the plasticard planks with a fine coarse sandpaper it gives an acceptable wood grain effect when painted.
Furniture i use frontline wargaming for, with some from old crow thrown in.
hope this helps  :)

Offline cmsciulli

• Librarian
  • Cowgirl in training
    • http://paintedpony.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 06:27:21 PM »
Monkme and Lowtardog,

What issues of wargames Illustrated did the plans come from?

Where do you find the Gary Chalk plans?

I'd like to get copies of these plans as I have seen them referenced by other people on their websites.

Any help in tracking them down would be great, thanks!
"You can't fight the desert... you have to ride with it."- Louis L'Amour

http://paintedpony.wordpress.com/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:44:19 PM »
The Church is 20cm tall, and responds well to a white drybrush and a nice light brown roof. 

Their later buildings have lift off roofs, the large saloon is a lovely building, but check out Frontline too.  their buildings all have interiors and they do furniture too.

http://www.frontlinewargaming.co.uk/25period.html
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:46:36 AM »

...What issues of wargames Illustrated did the plans come from?

Where do you find the Gary Chalk plans?

I'd like to get copies of these plans as I have seen them referenced by other people on their websites.

Any help in tracking them down would be great, thanks!

Here's what I found for Gary Chalk's buildings...

Issue #146 - Nov.1999 (CD 6): Adobe Architecture
Issue #148 - Jan.2000 (CD 6): Spanish Church
Issue #154 - July 2000 (CD 7): Waterfront/Port (more for Pirates, but still some ideas)
Issue #160 - Jan.2001 (CD 7): Wild West Town

Hope that's a help.

Cheers,
Mike
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:26:39 AM »
Hi,
   I came across this person/company on another thread and was blown away by their buildings. They are reasonably priced as well. They very nearly made me start collecting wild west.
   This is the web address    www.terrain-builder.co.uk
  Hope this will help in some way

Cheers

Fritzy 

Offline cmsciulli

• Librarian
  • Cowgirl in training
    • http://paintedpony.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
Here's what I found for Gary Chalk's buildings...

Issue #146 - Nov.1999 (CD 6): Adobe Architecture
Issue #148 - Jan.2000 (CD 6): Spanish Church
Issue #154 - July 2000 (CD 7): Waterfront/Port (more for Pirates, but still some ideas)
Issue #160 - Jan.2001 (CD 7): Wild West Town

Hope that's a help.

Cheers,
Mike

Oh that's great!  I didn't realize that they are on CDs now. . . will have to order them :-)

Thanks, Mike!

Are there any other issues of WI with useful building plans for the Wild West?