Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:31:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690786
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ideas wanted  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Ironcladman

• Bookworm
    • Ironclad Miniatures
Ideas wanted
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:55:23 AM »
Hello,  
 I have just joined the forum and would like to ask for some help.
 I am in the process of making some new figures to go with my steam tank range and was wondering if anybody out there has some suggestions for figures, vehicles, etc. At the moment I have started on some Naval Brigade, British infantry in home service dress and some characters. Following that will be some dastardly Prussians.
If you don't succeed at first use a bigger hammer!
Visit our website at www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Ideas wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
Personally, I'd love to see some British cavalry in Home Service Dress. Dragoon Guards in particular. There seems to be a real gap in the market for them.  

Artillery would be cool too.  :)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Ideas wanted
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »
Artillery in home service uniforms, preferably both full dress (home service helmet and tunic) and fatigue dress (shirtsleeves and cap - need to research which cap type).
These should preferably include standing figures with open hands and a seated figure, that could be used as both 'historical' gunners and as crew for VSF artillery and vehicles.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Ideas wanted
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:05:37 PM »
How about steam tank crew and mechanics? I suppose home service RE would cover it, but you could also go a bit more exotic.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Ideas wanted
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:49:37 PM »
Quote from: "Ironcladman"
Hello,  
 I have just joined the forum and would like to ask for some help.
 I am in the process of making some new figures to go with my steam tank range and was wondering if anybody out there has some suggestions for figures, vehicles, etc. At the moment I have started on some Naval Brigade, British infantry in home service dress and some characters. Following that will be some dastardly Prussians.

Hi John, welcome on board :)
You have already had my list of new stuff to do, but I am sure I will think of some more in due course :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline nickinsomerset

• Librarian
Ideas wanted
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »
Perhaps some crew, head and shoulder jobs of all nations. With some vehicles a plug in commander and flag means that one week a tank sqn is French, swop flags and commander and hey presto, Prussian!

Some home service Jockanese both Highlanders and light infantry or Lowland would be good, dont think anyone does them, whereas normal home service infantry are done by a few, lovely book Blandofrd Infantry uniforms has some useful pictures,

Tally Ho!

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
Ideas wanted
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 03:42:27 AM »
Some armored tractors to be used for various purposes -- everything from Boer armored wagons to support for that experimental electro-ray. Some appropriately VSF-ish Royal Engineers kitted out with the latest untested gear. A 1 or2 man flying device. Clockwork soldiers in the best pseudo-Napoleonic styling.

Some of those steam-powered infernal machines of the Turk or the Mughals would be nice for those adventures far afield.

Zeb Cook

Offline Big Guy

• Librarian
Ideas wanted
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 04:06:30 AM »
I'll second what Bullshott said- troops with open hands and sitting figures are very useful to a VSF gamer (some female ones would be nice to)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Ideas wanted
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 01:03:11 PM »
Some of those steam-powered infernal machines of the Turk or the Mughals would be nice for those adventures far afield.

Excellent idea. Something that would go well with the nice Turkish infantry from Warrior Miniatures' England Invaded range would be VERY nice.

Maybe steam-powered automatons (I currently use a couple of converted Mage Knight golems). Also a larger-than life (maybe the size of a 54mm scale model) steam-powered elephant styled on an armoured war elephant, with the crew in an ornamental armoured howdah (especially since one of Jules Verne's novels featured a steam elephant).

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Ideas wanted
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 01:29:04 PM »
I'd have to chime in on the Turkish take on VSF. Steam elephants and stuff like that would be cool.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Ideas wanted
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »
Steam powered automaton Elephant! What an insane, crazy  and incredibly cool idea. What a brilliant idea for a model. Lets hope mr Ironcladman goes ahead and sculpts us one. :wink:  I will most certainly buy at least one :D

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Ideas wanted
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 02:54:08 PM »
That elephant idea is something I've wanted to try ever since I saw this:

Offline Ironcladman

• Bookworm
    • Ironclad Miniatures
Great ideas
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 05:07:30 PM »
I say chaps, awfully damn decent of you to take the time to jot your ideas down.
 Loved the suggestions and some of them are now being made! Hopefully in the next 6 weeks I should have about 20+ figures to start the range off with.
 If I get a chance I will post some pics on the forum of the greens. :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Great ideas
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 05:35:25 PM »
Quote from: "Ironcladman"
I say chaps, awfully damn decent of you to take the time to jot your ideas down.
 Loved the suggestions and some of them are now being made! Hopefully in the next 6 weeks I should have about 20+ figures to start the range off with.
 If I get a chance I will post some pics on the forum of the greens. :)

Looking forward to buying them already  :lol:  Good luck with the figures I am sure you will sell loads :)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Ideas wanted
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »
I'd second the call for multi-nationality hatch crewmen, rather than just a half figure, maybe it may be easier to make it as a plug in hatch assembly with figure attached, that could give a bit more variety (perhaps one head & shoulders only, another upper torso, another upper torso using telescope etc). Not just British, French, Prussian, but perhaps Russian, Piedmontese, Japanese. Preferably at least one naval variant too.

Vehicle accessories / stowage ?
Carrier pigeons, signal flags, heliograph, aldis lamps, rockets (either signal or calliope style)

Artillery crews, not forgetting horse artillery, possibly naval gun crews ?
Engineers, possibly with equipment. Steam powered wire guided weaponry (like a WWII German Goliath with extra pipework) ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)