Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:39:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ainsty Man O' War (Fist Full of Seamen)  (Read 6044 times)

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
Re: Ainsty Man O' War (Fist Full of Seamen)
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »
Can we get some pictures!? Perhaps I can offer you a stay in Arizona for some time and you can teach me! (No I am not kidding!) I am a high school teacher by trade which gives me some time in the summer.
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 06:41:31 AM »
Hi Wingnut,

Well, I can't match, or beat that offer, sadly.

I would appreciate an outline of the steps you perform, in putting your vessels together, and suspect others might as well, especially regarding attaching booms to masts, sails to both, and rigging.  I suspect others might find it useful too, so we aren't putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

Just quick, one liners should be sufficient, e.g.: 1. sand and remove any flash; 2. wash; 3. glue on any custom parts, etc. (perhaps washing/sanding should go after this, depending upon what is being done); 4. prime; 5. paint; 6. add masts; etc.

No doubt, some steps are probably best performed before others.

Many are probably obvious, like remove any mold lines and sand where needed, wash parts and hulls down, etc., and then prime and paint.

However, when it comes to attaching sails to the masts, booms, and rigging, I'm not sure which would be best, since I've never put one together, e.g. add on the sails and rigging, while on the workbench, to prevent breakage, and once everything is in place, then step the masts and bowsprit, etc.; or, do it after adding those onto the hull, since they'll hold them in place.

I've been thinking it would be nice to have removeable sets of masts and bowsprits, if it doesn't add too much complexity, or make things too prone to being damaged (probably does), so I can swap out for a second set of masts/booms, and sprits to represent the vessels in anchored mode, or to represent damage to them.

I was planning on drilling the holes most of the way into the hull, if they aren't already that deep, possibly adding in a brass sleeve to protect the resin from damage/cracking when installing/removing the masts, and then put rare earth magnets in the bottom of the holes in the hull, and on the bottom of the masts, for a secure fit, and to ensure they stay in place, when desired.

Any info you can provide on that will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Rob

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »
Wohoa! WONDERFUL!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
  • "Cthulhu fhtagn Ya'll!"
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
@Ninja and Mako,

Ninja,
Haven't actually been to Arizona yet but I just went to the Solar Eclipse in Albuquerque and found I actually like the desert. I'm still trying to convince you to come up to the Game outside Kansas City. I'll keep trying.

Mako,
I have spoke with both a video producer and the owner/operator of Laser Dream Works about producing a video on How-To techniques on building sturdy and inexpensive gaming ships. Being a small market it will be a you-tube support site for people who produce ship models for gaming. Mako feel free to contact me for any step by steps you need. My profile on the site has an email link and you can contact me here. I like the idea of removable parts. I haven't included this in my models because of set up time and rigging ware. I would be interested to see where the incorporation of the two ideas would come together. 
Both,
I just taught a friend most of the techniques to recreate the same ship as a British merchantmen. Her first ship is actually as good as any of my best models. we're both quite proud of the results. I'll post it as soon as I get time for a photo shoot.
The most important thing to remember about the building of these ships is it takes time. Lots of time.

Wingnut         
Wingnut
1st Citizen of Beaverlick,WY.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »
Wingnut,
Glad you're coming back to RECRUITS. See ya folks in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, due to sporting tournaments by not one, but both children, I can only observe your great game. Not even sure I'll be able to run my own game this year.
-J

Offline Wingnut

• Scientist
  • "Cthulhu fhtagn Ya'll!"
    • F.F.o.S.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
Baron,
a sad turn of events for Recruits. If you have a spare moment at least stop by. We will be there most of the Weekend.

Wingnut