Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:45:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Fireforge medieval thread. P31. Yet more Bobs!  (Read 126411 times)

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
Be sure to magnetize the arms and legs :p

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Be sure to magnetize the arms and legs :p

lol
Fair point

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Another marvelous thread. 
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks Ragnar  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Having just acquired the recently released Victrix Late Saxons (or are they Anglo-Danes?) plastic set, I thought I’d see whether parts can be pressed into service in this, my Feudal Retinues project.

Obviously the mid-C11th style of armour, shields and weaponry is significantly different to the ‘high feudal’ era of circa 1200(ish). It all has a kind of 'tail end of the Dark Ages' feel. Then again, a nasal helm is a nasal helm, and a figure in tunic and trousers is a figure in tunic and trousers. So there is definite kit-bashing potential.

The Victrix Saxon set has been well covered elsewhere in reviews I’m sure, so I won’t go into detail, suffice to say it is LOVELY.
There's a plethora of 14 different bodies (armoured and unarmoured) and arms/weapons, plus a cornucopia of almost 30 different heads and helmets.
Nearly all the heads wear big moustaches, presumably seen as a 1066 Anglo-Danish trademark (although far from ubiquitous amongst the Saxon ranks in the Bayeux Tapestry).
The moulding and detail is incredibly sharp, and the poses are very much at the dynamic end of the wargames figure market.

Only a couple of minor niggles to note:
1. Quite a few of the bodies and arm/weapon components are set up as ‘half-arms’, which does limit some uses, although nothing that can’t be cured with a sharp craft knife.
2. Similarly some of the heads in coifs are moulded onto the bodies, but with separate helmets. I can see the separate helmets coming in very useful as props and battlefield debris. The moulded-on heads are somewhat limiting when it comes to kit-bashing, but again, not insoluble.
3. Some of the weapons are much more realistically scaled than is usual in these sorts of plastic soldier kits. Which I like (I really dislike the outsized fantasy-scaled weaponry in the Fireforge kits). However, this means that most of the spearshafts in particular, are incredibly fine, and I suspect, not all that durable. But we shall see…

So, here are a few more new recruits…

First up, Baron Tancred the Black. This is a metal figure which I think comes from the Blue Moon Robin Hood range. He’s probably the Sheriff of Nottingham or somesuch. The figure was given to me by Alex/The Prof, several years ago, and I’ve just decided he’d make a fine addition to this collection, so I’m going to paint him as a supernumerary character for games…

These two are Cenhelm the Axe and Eadric the archer.

They are both sporting Victrix Saxon heads on Fireforge bodies, with arms from one or other of the Perry HYW infantry sets.
I actually don’t mind the moustaches. Retinues of this era, even 150 years or so after the Conquest would include many men of English/Saxon origin, and relatively few of Norman. I think the Victrix rendering of the nasal helm (there are about 20 different ones in this set) is the nicest I’ve seen. Can’t wait for the Normans themselves to land. Cenhelm’s heater shield is from the FF Teutonic Knights set.

These two are Wassa the fool (another supernumerary) and Armel the spearman.

Armel is using one of the simpler Victrix Saxon bodies in mail hauberk. It does look quite 1066, but with addition of a much later period helmet (a GW part), a FF heater shield, and a later medieval sword, I think the body serves well enough. It’s probably only the belt buckle and finial that are distinctively Anglo-Saxon, but if anyone can see that on the tabletop, I’ll be surprised. The chainmail itself is beautifully rendered. Best I’ve seen. The 'holes' look huge in these pics, but in actual size on the inch high figure, they are incredibly fine and look just perfect. You can probably see what I mean about the fineness of the spear shaft though. Beautifully proportioned, but I'm a tad worried about its robustness...

Wassa the Fool is another simple Fireforge Templar Infantry body, with Perry later medieval arms (trumpet from the HYW French set, tabor from the European Mercenaries box), plus another GW head, donated from Mason. I’ve shaved the ‘jester’s armoured helmet’ down so it looks like a hood. I’ll add some bells (and probably a hunchback) from Green Stuff.
Can’t really have a set of medieval retinues without a motley fool, so that’s why here’s here…

I think this lot, together with a few of the figures previously assembled way higher up in this thread but yet to be painted, will be joining the retinue of Sir Guy de Mordant (which is where this all started on page 1!), who to remind you, looks like this…

…so that’s going to be some interesting heraldic freehand (which I actually enjoy doing, so not that bad really…  :) )
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 03:59:22 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Captain Blood's Fireforge medieval thread. P26, new kitbashing
« Reply #380 on: January 12, 2020, 04:07:36 PM »
Excellent conversions!

I know what you mean about the large, somewhat absurd weapons in some Fireforge kits. The issue with the realistic ones is, as you point out, the potential fragility. I am in the camp of, for spears in particular, preferring a sturdier if oversized weapon. That said, hand weapons tend to remain more durable as they're far less likely to be snagged, bashed or otherwise mishandled.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #381 on: January 12, 2020, 05:19:40 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #382 on: January 12, 2020, 05:25:04 PM »
They look great, I suspect the first ol will attract a lot of attention on the battlefield as a likely target ;) lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #383 on: January 12, 2020, 06:31:36 PM »
This thread is amazing and very inspiring. Please keep posting-this is a fantastic read.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
Can’t really have a set of medieval retinues without a motley fool, so that’s why here’s here…

I should probably get one to represent myself on the tabletop...

Actually, I think I have all of the components for making my own Wassa in the bits box except for the body, and that one could probably be easily substituted with a number of other unarmoured bodies.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #385 on: January 12, 2020, 08:38:42 PM »
Very interesting what you say about the mail. I was imagining that would be the first thing you'd criticise! If you say it's actually really good, then it must be, as I know you don't hold back is you do need to point out a plastic kit's flaws  ;)

Oh and great stuff!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #386 on: January 12, 2020, 09:16:01 PM »
Yes. There was a lot of whingeing about the new Victrix mail when it first appeared, but it looks tip top on the models when viewed in real scale as opposed to a massively blown up photo.

I do tend to be critical, I must admit  :)
Probably it’s because when you see the exceptional standard (and the sheer amount of components included) that the Perrys and increasingly Victrix manage to achieve, you wonder why the others can’t do anywhere near as well. Fireforge are okay in some respects. Gripping Beast have absolutely gone backwards. I rather like the Frostgrave sets, but they only ever contain 6 bodies, which is a pity, and it looks like the new entrant, Wargames Atlantic is following the same model - 1 frame, half a dozen bodies, a dozen heads, an assortment of arms, shields and weapons, and that’s your lot. The Conquest Games kits are a mixed bag. Some nice components. Some not so good.
But TBH the market is moving so fast now, it’s hard keeping up with it. And that’s without going into the huge number of GW-alikes serving the out and out fantasy markets...

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #387 on: January 12, 2020, 10:00:20 PM »
The mail on the Victrix Vikings blew my mind, it's crazy how good some of these plastic kits are nowadays.

I like the new additions, they'll fit right in. I wouldn't worry about the Saxon in the mix :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #388 on: January 12, 2020, 10:42:09 PM »
Chainmail looks fine to me but that metal figure is lovely, so suitably Hollywood  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #389 on: January 13, 2020, 02:21:07 PM »