Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval News  (Read 216344 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Medieval News
« Reply #315 on: August 21, 2015, 05:52:15 AM »
Brilliant!!! Thanks Matey  :) :) :) :) :) :)

No probs, I thought that might bring a smile to your face :)

Darrell.

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #316 on: August 21, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
Limitations imposed by wearing armour on Medieval soldiers' locomotor performance
Iīd have thought it was obvious..or?
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2011/07/15/rspb.2011.0816

The French may have had a better chance at the Battle of Agincourt had they not been weighed down by heavy body armour, say researchers
? and the lacking protection but ignoring the holes made in them  by  arrows would have made things a lot better?
Following the "weighed down reduces the Chance of a win" then...a swarm of armed but naked French would have won with ease? I suppose they could have covered the ground a bit more quickly...but then had a mild disadvantage against the english who were wearing armour.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/news/article/2259/heavy_metal_hardens_battle
I knew the truck didnīt want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paulīs Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #317 on: August 21, 2015, 04:50:25 PM »
Iīd have thought it was obvious..or?
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2011/07/15/rspb.2011.0816

? and the lacking protection but ignoring the holes made in them  by  arrows would have made things a lot better?
Following the "weighed down reduces the Chance of a win" then...a swarm of armed but naked French would have won with ease? I suppose they could have covered the ground a bit more quickly...but then had a mild disadvantage against the english who were wearing armour.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/news/article/2259/heavy_metal_hardens_battle

Paul makes two very good points :)

Darrell.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #318 on: August 21, 2015, 07:34:34 PM »
Modern commanders have to make similar decisions as to degree of risk, especially in climates that's accentuate the degradation caused by wearing protective gear.

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »
Itīd be interesting to see if it would actually make a difference if the French had ditched the heavy but more or less protective armour.
Lightly (lighter) armoured French, even if they had chucked the entire force in at once, moving at a rate of ?? 100meters every 15 seconds (how fast can an average Person/knight/man-at-arms run?)  without adding in the uneven Terrain, the packing together, tripping over each other) being hit by a volley of 1000īs of arrows every few seconds, or a constant hail of arrows,  the density of the crowd virtually a guarantee of some sort of hit..in the first 100 meters theyéd have been hit by? 10 -15, 000 arrows? 20 - 30,000 after 200 meters? Ouch!!

Thinking about it..how Long did it take them to cross the field anyway? Must have been hellish! 

I suppose they could have had the majority kitted out with shields but how effective is a shield at stopping an arrow?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2015, 10:46:27 AM »
Thinking about it..how Long did it take them to cross the field anyway? Must have been hellish! 

to take Crecy as an example it took roughly 40 seconds in trials. Armour was poorer in terms of quality than that of
Agincourt of course. 

I suppose they could have had the majority kitted out with shields but how effective is a shield at stopping an arrow?

At medium to long (due to the effect of gravity) and short range they would be dead even with a shield, the sheer volume of arrows would cause a number of incapacitating wounds.

Darrell.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2015, 09:32:53 PM »
The question does not really fit the period . These knights could not think to go to battle without their amour, even if the king had ordered so (and he wouldn't have).

The duke of Brittany had his own idea about speed of movement: for diplomatical reasons he had agreed to come and help the French king... but he managed to arrive at Agincourt after the battle.  :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2015, 04:57:48 AM »
The question does not really fit the period . These knights could not think to go to battle without their amour, even if the king had ordered so (and he wouldn't have).

Agreed. It is a 'wild card' "What if" scenario.....

The duke of Brittany had his own idea about speed of movement: for diplomatical reasons he had agreed to come and help the French king... but he managed to arrive at Agincourt after the battle.  :D

.....and he wasn't the first of the last Duke of Brittany to do so..... there was also the Duke of Brittany prior to Montlhery at a later date (and many other examples).

Darrell.

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2015, 08:36:23 PM »
Exactly.. :)and thatīs why the Headline from leeds UNI saying
The French may have had a better chance at the Battle of Agincourt had they not been weighed down by heavy body armour, say researchers
Mind you..their sttement isnīt suprising with some of the speculative cr*p  a lot of uniīs come out with these days to Support extending thier funding for grants to Research the bleedin obvious.... Iīm thinking of starting one up...medieval horses would have moved much more quickly without thier riders....3 year Research grant no probs.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #324 on: August 24, 2015, 06:18:33 AM »
Iīm thinking of starting one up...medieval horses would have moved much more quickly without thier riders....3 year Research grant no probs.

lol lol lol

Funny but you do have a good point.

lol lol lol

Darrell.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #325 on: August 24, 2015, 06:22:27 AM »
It would be interesting to see examples from this period of troops leaving off protection before going on patrol, for example.

From my own period of research, one reads of Richard I leading the amphibious assault on Jaffa without leg armour. The chronicler puts it down to him seizing the moment, but the old soldier in me puts it down to him having the good sense to reduce the risk of drowning  lol

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #326 on: August 24, 2015, 01:29:38 PM »
My brother went to the medieval fair in Telgte Germany and send me some pictures. If you want to see more for painting or conversion inspiration go here:
https://wargamesgazette.wordpress.com/inspiration/

In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #327 on: August 24, 2015, 01:47:55 PM »
Quote from: tomrommel

[URL=http://s22.photobucket.com/user/tomrommel/media/25.jpg.html
[/URL]

Was ist das???  ??? ??? ???

Darrell.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »
looks like a spell caster from frostgrave to me ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »
looks like a spell caster from frostgrave to me ;)

Frost what?  ;) ;) ;)

Darrell.