Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Saumur Campaign (1940)  (Read 1783 times)

Offline rechnin

• Lurker
Saumur Campaign (1940)
« on: August 11, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
I am looking to create 20mm campaign based on the above battle (with the possibility of an extended "What If" scenario as a follow up) as I find this an interesting gaming prospect, however, though I have been able to find some of the basic details I am struggling to find any real information.

I was hoping that the members of this forum would be able to help me.

I am working on a post with the details I already have...

Update - I have literally just found this website:
http://www.cheminsdememoire.gouv.fr/en/les-combats-de-la-loire-juin-1940
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:25:32 PM by rechnin »

Offline rechnin

• Lurker
Re: Saumur Campaign (1940)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »
From my previous message:

There are several elements to this campaign which appeal to me as a gamer, from the background to the campaign, the terrain of the campaign area and the opposing forces to the cast of characters involved in the engagements of this battle.

Background
The situation is fluid, German breakthroughs are being reported along the entire front, the French Army is in a desperate position and must look to disengage from the enemy and coordinate itself to establish new defensive lines or it will be overrun and destroyed.  The Germans cannot allow this.  Should the French Army be allowed to regroup, to select the ground on which it fights and stand ready, that would spell disaster!  Continued operations are being further hampered by thousands of refugees choking the roads and railways as the seek safety beyond the German advance, an advance which has to continue.  Civilian and soldier alike sees the Loire River as a natural frontier, a bulkhead against the coming storm, making any crossing point primer real estate, one such point exists within the town of Saumur…

Terrain
The campaign area is predominantly rural, with large stretches of rolling woodlands and open greener, despite this, the area is still serviced by several significant roads and a major highway runs between Angers with Tours.  However, by far the most significant terrain feature has to be the Loire River which bisects the entire region and is, for the most part, impassable bar bridge or boat crossing.  Due to this, the area around Saumur becomes even more significant.  Not only does the compact town harbour two road bridges, it also has a heavy structure railway bridge which could easily be used cross the heaviest of equipment.

Should access to the bridges be denied, two large islands lie within the span of the river.  These could be used to leapfrog across to the other side of the Loire if suitable means can be obtained.  Other notable locations of note include the ancient Town Hall, which lies on the southern bank of the river close to the approach of the Pont Cessart and the imposing Château de Saumur, constructed in the 10th Century, which overlooks the entire town.  Further a field, on the outskirts can be found the location of the famous Saumur Cavalry School.

Campaign Forces
On the one hand we have the prepared defenders, a mix of artillery, cavalry and infantry Cadets from the local area, and some from farther a field, fighting along side engineers, horse borne cavalry, light armour and the colourful infantry of the North African Tirailleurs.  Add to these stragglers from the retreating French Army, a handful of armed civilians and some SNCF employees and you have what makes up the defending forces, mix of training and experiences, or weapons and equipment, but, a force determined to stand.

As for the attackers, we have, oddly enough, something of a similar force.  Though more organised than the defenders, the 1st Cavalry Division was essential a fast moving, mobile force equipped with armoured cars, trucks and bikes (even some bicycles) with access to only light armour.  The infantry element was a mix of season veterans, new recruits and replacements, Not really suited to breaking a prepared defence, however, the Germans main advantage was in the terms of support and artillery.  Not only did they have access to the powerful 88 but the attack force had a plentiful supply of artillery guns.

Cast of Characters
The campaign has a pretty health number of characterful combatants, starting with the opposing commanders, Colonel Michon and General Kurt Feldt.  Sadly, I don’t have much information on the German Forces (still researching as I type this), but, I have a great deal of information about the French Defenders.

One sure to be mention is Cadet Hoube who scored the first kill of the battle with his 25mm gun and accounted for several more armoured vehicles before the end of the battle, or Lieutenant de Buffévent who continued to walk the French lines, buoying on the soldiers instilling them to fight who fell trying to scout enemy locations, to under Sub-Lieutenant Fraisier whose engineers, and civilian SNCF employees, placed explosive on the bridges whilst trains full of civilian refuges passed overhead and Captain Bleuse who led his cadets in a bayonet charge to save Aunis Farm.

Offline rechnin

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
I have just managed to get a copy of For Honour Alone, I am hoping this will give me all the details I need.  Would anyone be interested in more details?

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »
Sounds like an interesting campaign one I had never heard of  :?

Cheers
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline rechnin

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:03:32 PM »
It is, a classic opposites encounter battle.  I can get more details now as well, my book came.