Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:56:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690653
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bernard Cornwell karacters in SAGA?  (Read 6654 times)

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
Bernard Cornwell karacters in SAGA?
« on: August 15, 2012, 07:52:40 AM »
I love the Bernard Cornwell books and have been meaning to build Derfels warband of magical treasurehunters for years...

I really like the Gripping Beast Saga models but dont really know who is what as compared to the "races" in the Warlord books...

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks alot and sorry for being such a noob... English historie is not really taught in our schools...
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Bernard Cornwell karacters in SAGA?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:13:18 AM »
Sure... England was divided between the Anglo-Saxons (a mix of a previous wave of Germannic migrants mixed with the former native Britons) and the Danes (or Danish Vikings if you prefer), who largely came from Denmark and the outlying part of what is now Germany.

Gripping Beast's 'Mid to Late Saxons' and many of the Vikings will do good service. Avoid using Saxons or Vikings with 'kite' style shields, or any 'Norman style' long mail coats and you should be fine.

:)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
Now I haven't read them myself so I may well be talking out of my hat, but I was labouring under the impression that The Warlord Chronicles had a vaguely Arthurian setting. If that is so then you want to be thinking more about Sub-Roman/Romano-British and early Saxons rather than Mid to Late Saxons and Danes.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
Crikey... I was thinking of Uhtred of the Saxon stories. Although to be fair, all of Cornwell's main characters are the same guy, so you were lucky I didn't suggest Napoleonic Riflemen.  ::)

Yes... Plynkes is right. Romano-British and the Early Saxons with 'bucklers' GB even do a pack of 'Wolftail warriors', who are meant to be Derfel's men. Sorry.  :)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »
Ah - I think Arlequin is confusing the various book series. His guides should be fine for the Alfred the great era 'Uhtred' series, but not for the earlier 'King Arthur' series.

For a short answer - none of the Saga models are really appropriate, as they happen ~400-500 years later. GB actually has a range perfectly suited to (and inspired by the King arthur series) - they are under 'Late Roman, Huns, Sassanids & Age Of Arthur armies' on the website.  From these:
*The GB Arthurian Romano-British, late roman & 'British & Welsh kingdoms' would work for the Britons and Arthurs forces.
*The Irish for the black shield Irish.
*The Early Saxons & Saxons/German tribes for various Saxons & Angles (possibly with some Franks mixed in to add further variety.
*If you want to go further north, the Picts & Scots/Scots-Irish are suitable for scotland.  

Now, if you are happy to bend historical accuracy a bit, and really want to use the Saga sets.... The Welsh starter set is perfectly suited for use as Britons (infact, they even use figures from the 'British & welsh kingdom' range I mention earlier) The Anglo saxon set will do for Early saxons without being too out of the way (the same for the vikings, although spectacle helms are less correct than the standard spangenhelm) & the Scots would work as picts/irish if you squint a bit. the other sets (especially the ones with long coats &/or kite shields really are way too late or in the case of the skraelings, on completely the wrong continant. Mind you, the very inauthentic but cool 'Picts' in the eagle looked more Native American than pictish/celtic, so you could use the skraelings for them if you wanted some more fantasy elements...)
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »
Now I haven't read them myself so I may well be talking out of my hat, but I was labouring under the impression that The Warlord Chronicles had a vaguely Arthurian setting. If that is so then you want to be thinking more about Sub-Roman/Romano-British and early Saxons rather than Mid to Late Saxons and Danes.

Yup Winter King is romano Briths and SAxons

whilst the Uthred saga (6 books) deals with Alfred the great and the middle saxon period with the Norse/viking invasions and conquest

A good 400 years apart

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »
Up until now I was always planning (on day) to make a small war band using the now oop metal Perry GW brettonian spear-men... But they have gotten quite expensive and probably are not altogether as appropriate as I was hoping...

Muskateer are about to do some Cornwellish miniatures but I like the look of the GB dudes with the Dane-axes  :D

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »
The Dane-axes are far too late for Derfel... but if you like them, go for the later era instead. Some of the 'Danes' came from Friesland btw and the Vikings raided Holland (and pretty much everywhere else) too.

http://www.missgien.net/vikings/

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »
Sweet! Maybe one day Ill cover all the books (I have them all  ;D) But really like Derfel...

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
Bill, from Musketeer Miniatures, has been working on some Saxon characters and has said he is going to be doing some Briton characters soon.  Might wait to see what he comes up with because his Saxon characters are stunning.   :-*

http://musketeerminiatures.blogspot.com/

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »
Oh nice!!!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »
I've got the lot painted up in here:
http://displacedminiatures.com/LeadAsbestos2010/gallery/2985/

The GB stuff is very nice, and the new Early Saxons fit the bill quite nicely.

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »
Man that is so awesome! I did not recognize any of the characters in the GB pictures... Now I have to have the one with nimue and morgan in it!!!! Thanks for these awesome pictures!!!!

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 09:58:10 PM »
The Hardradda brothers what "age" would they fit in... (I like em so much that I went ahead and traded for them with a nice Laf'er)?