Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:01:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lords and Ladies  (Read 2527 times)

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
Lords and Ladies
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:30 PM »
Minden Miniatures is to offer riding Lords and Ladies
http://mindenminis.blogspot.fr/2012/08/some-new-stuff.html

Why do I mention them here rather than on the 'Age of Big Battalions' forum? SYW aficionados certainly know of Minden novelties. But, chiefly, such figurines are precious to represent characters in swashbuckling games / RPG mini campaigns (and to depict rulers of Imagi-Nations) and corresponding players -regulars of *this* board- may be not aware of the 'fully historical SYW' Minden range.
Such not totally historical 'adventure / swashbuckling games' are practiced not only by 'imaginative' players, but also by hard-boiled historical ones, re. the ongoing vendetta between  Milady de Winter and  Lady Pettygree.

Great news, riding 18th C. wealthy / noble civilians are quite rare, specially women: the only ones available so far afaik (the 'Willie' from the 'Hunt' set), 'Old school charm' notwithstanding, show the age (50 years) of their sculpting. And a widening of choice, specially for such rare types, is always precious.

For a more 'active' role it would not be hard to find pistols (in 'Pirates' ranges,  Freebooter for instance) and sheathed rapiers to fix at the waistbelt.

Minden are 'anatomically correct', thus their soldiers don't mix well with most other ranges (Foundry, Crusader...) of 'bulky' style. This is less a problem for characters. Specially for the women: to be better proportioned, a little slimmer, than the males surrounding them, with a pretty non-orcish face, is most appropriate. :-*
Similarly Minden are nominally 1/57, but in my experience slim figurines, for an equal height, look a little smaller than bulky ones: the scale should not be a problem.

Ideally, for the diverse scenes of an adventure, the very same minis should be available on foot and mounted, as was generally done for the 'dungeon adventurers' of old: Frank, please! ;)

Offline duivelindoosje

• Scientist
Re: Lords and Ladies
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:14:39 AM »
very nice, i also did enjoy their civilians

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:02:19 AM »
"Same character on foot and mounted":

:D
http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/7421-cmon-shop-update-anastyr!!!

*Seriously*, Frank, such sets are extremely precious for 'adventure' games.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:21:32 AM by abdul666lw »

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »
Free choice of horse, btw.

A minor regret, too bad the 'lady riding sidesaddle' in the more 'generic' pose (and thus the more useful of the pair) wears a slouched hat. I know there are a few contemporary portraits with such (but none afaik of a riding woman) and of course Keira Knightley in 'The Duchess' sports one. But all the 18th C. paintings of 'ladies in riding habit' I found on the web show a tricorne, except one (from a later date) with a jockey cap.
(also relevant)
A tricorne would be far more typical, and is far more 'period specific', immediately 'tagging' a figurine "18th C.".

(Were you really hoping I'd miss an opportunity to mention 'Brotherhood of the Wolf', or to post (relevant, of course) pics of Monica Bellucci?
Now, a courtesan in the Secret Service of His Holiness the Pope and armed with a razorblades-edged fan, that's a 'swashbuckling' idea!)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:40:10 PM by abdul666lw »

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:46:56 PM »
It's figures like this that make me wish Eureka would get a hussle on with my Sandra army before I'm too old to paint and enjoy.