Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:44:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690733
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: inuit in 28mm  (Read 5173 times)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
inuit in 28mm
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:16:21 AM »
Does any one have seen this 28mm from Bear's Den Miniatures.

They look nice in picture but in real ?
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »
no,never seen, but there is also a Sledge with 2 crew and 4 Dogs
seems wonderful.
anybody has already this figs, just for comparison with other manufacturers?
thanks for the news Nervisfr :D

Piero

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:57:59 PM »
I've got these and the bowmen and some Copplestone Inuits. I'll post some pics when I borrow my nephew's camera. The Copplestone are nicer but Bear's Den are quite good.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:57:28 PM »
We have Bear's Den and Copplestone too, the figures are of a similar size but look different. Not a problem if you use them as different families/clans/tribes.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:11:19 PM »
While we have the thread going, perhaps someone might say how the Eureka Inuits compare to both of the aforementioned ranges. I'm not very interested in Inuits myself, but others might be, so there's always a place for this kind of information.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:19:21 PM »
Quote from: "Rhoderic"
While we have the thread going, perhaps someone might say how the Eureka Inuits compare to both of the aforementioned ranges. I'm not very interested in Inuits myself, but others might be, so there's always a place for this kind of information.

I looked at them all, the Eureka ones look a bit smaller I think they are sculpted by Alan Marsh

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »
I haven't seen the Eureka ones yet so cannot help on that score.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 11:51:43 AM »
Oh, this is my first post!

I have these Bear's Den minis, and can also vouch that they're of a comparable scale to the Copplestone Inuit. They're not such good sculpts, but painted up they look just fine.

The picture of the command group is slightly misleading, as it picutres the minis supplied with spears and a shield. Mine didn't come with these, although I'm not so bothered as they make decent shamen when standing alone.

The inclusion of a totem pole is a bit quizzical, as the Inuit didn't use these (not many trees to carve in the Arctic!). Would be useful in other contexts perhaps, but it needed a lot of cleaning up as the sculpt is very poor - whole areas where the excess green sculpt wasn't cleaned off before casting.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »
Oh, I forgot to say - if you're after more sledges, Copplestone did a frame sled  that's more like a true Inuit sled, but this is no longer for sale on the website. If you do a Google however you should find other online stockists who can still sell you this, if you like.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 09:52:15 AM »
Quote from: "oxiana"
Oh, I forgot to say - if you're after more sledges, Copplestone did a frame sled  that's more like a true Inuit sled, but this is no longer for sale on the website. If you do a Google however you should find other online stockists who can still sell you this, if you like.

thank you for the informations oxiana.

these inuit could be use for playing with Vikings as the skraeling (i hope to do it). Just remember that is this kind of indians they met and not those looking like Hurons or woodindians.....
I know it's  better to play with woodindians looking than inuit one but vinnland is  not a warm country....
these figurines are fine to play woodindians in winter condition too....or alaska indian and friends from this far country.

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »
I know it's  better to play with woodindians looking than inuit one but vinnland is  not a warm country....
these figurines are fine to play woodindians in winter condition too....or alaska indian and friends from this far country.[/quote]

Hi, well I was not so sure that it was a cold country, Vinland means" land of wine" so it should be not so cold.
and also the Woodlands natives of the east coast and the St. lawrence basin were very sturdy and doesn't suffered too much for cold weather, infact their dress doesn't change so much during the year, for cold -frozen period they just put on some robe.

anyway Copplestone do some inuits with bows which should be more appropiated.

Piero

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »
Just to let you have an idea of dressing during winter, consider that these are post European encounters so for early period blanket should be replaced by robe.
Piero

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa305/pieropredator/various%20pics/Algonquins300-4X5.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa305/pieropredator/various%20pics/abenakis300.jpg

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
There are two types of scenario for Skraelings, I think - the Cikings used the term generically.

Those the Vikings encountered in Vinland, would be more like the eastern woodland Indians I think. I saw somewhere in a different forum that Conquest Miniatures are going to be doing some of these in winter dress, with robes, blankets and snowshoes, which would be great. Alternatively, the Blackfeet minis that Foundry produce, wrapped in winter dress might fit well - I intend to game them as Cree, who sometimes fought the Inuit in Canada (throw in some Mountain Men and you've got some great early Canada/Hudson's Bay Company exploration gaming angles)

The Skraelings the vikings encountered in Greenland are Inuit, so the Copplestone/Bear's Dean  are perfect. There are several accounts of Viking settlements being attacked by Inuit in Greenland.

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »
Those the Vikings encountered in Vinland, would be more like the eastern woodland Indians I think
I agree with you

I saw somewhere in a different forum that Conquest Miniatures are going to be doing some of these in winter dress, with robes, blankets and snowshoes, which would be great.

Really? it would be nice ,I have dreamed for these kind of figures.
battles in winter gave great opportunities.
where do you found this new ?

The Skraelings the vikings encountered in Greenland are Inuit, so the Copplestone/Bear's Dean  are perfect. There are several accounts of Viking settlements being attacked by Inuit in Greenland.[/quote]

I agree again.

Piero

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
inuit in 28mm
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 03:55:39 PM »
Quote from: "Shikari Sahib"
Those the Vikings encountered in Vinland, would be more like the eastern woodland Indians I think
I agree with you

I saw somewhere in a different forum that Conquest Miniatures are going to be doing some of these in winter dress, with robes, blankets and snowshoes, which would be great.

Really? it would be nice ,I have dreamed for these kind of figures.
battles in winter gave great opportunities.
where do you found this new ?

The Skraelings the vikings encountered in Greenland are Inuit, so the Copplestone/Bear's Dean  are perfect. There are several accounts of Viking settlements being attacked by Inuit in Greenland.

I agree again.

Piero[/quote]

Conquest are very nice but I wouldnt hold your breath as I think he is tied up with his ework or certainly has recently. I have been waitng for plain indians form them for ages.

In honesty though they will be bound to be lovely when they are made.

Eureak have Powhatan indians which would be OK.