Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:48:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Cmon Lovecraftian game, 'Death May Die'  (Read 12619 times)

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
Re: New Cmon Lovecraftian game, 'Death May Die'
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
I feel pretty much the same way. I managed to work my way to a Jan pledge but find myself not caring much at this point for mostly the same reasons. And agree, with over 4K of the big Cthulhu being made probably get one cheaper on eBay after they come out. Gonna drop down to a dollar and see how I feel later, but think I'm going to pass on this one.e st
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »
I cancelled my pledge after the 'wilbur whately' naming debacle followed by what is obviously his brother being described as yog-sothoth.

They don't give a toss about the source material.
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »
Exactly my feelings...
Just droped out...
Seem its not my idea of a Crhulhu game...

Cultist#83

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2018, 06:51:01 PM »
Closing soon...

I made a placeholder pledge on the launch day, possibly because the big guy "mini" was an example of proper madness (as a concept) and I was slightly worried about missing out in that initial confusion and frenzy. However, now I feel like scaling down or just cancelling. Random thoughts:

Do I need another game? No, absolutely not. I have a boatload of mythos games, combat games, semi-mini games and mini games, yet not enough time to play them. (This rarely has stopped me from buying another one, though.)

Mechanics: to be honest, I only took a quick look, but it definitely looked like a "shoot it in the face" railroad with sanity points thrown in for another resource as usual. No real adventure, investigation or mystery there. An occasional 4+ test with a random skill doesn't really count. OK, I admit that this is fundamentally a difficult task. One just cannot create a RPG-like experience in a standard board game unless you essentially reinvent RPG. What kind of mythos investigation can you model by moving minis on a board? I've run into the same problem with my convention games. Is there any point in building terrain and moving painted minis if the characters are reading books in a library for two hours? Still I'd appreciate a little bit more effort than just making up a weak excuse for advancing to the next tentacle monster combat.

And then there's the general attitude. These days it's quite unavoidable that Cthulhu gamers are heavily in a "Woo, a monster! How many hit points? Pass more dynamite!" mode. However, it's disappointing that here the characters are in that mode as well. As pointed out earlier, the "real" spirit of mythos stories should be that humans are small, weak, insignificant and deeply puzzled/disturbed by what they encounter. In fact, in most stories they don't even see a single tentacled monster, let alone try to fight it. In this game (like many others), the characters seem to come with a massive arsenal to begin with and start stocking up on dynamite already in the starting square.

Minis: dunno. The investigators are quite varied, characterful and well made, but I repeat the "too many guns" sentiment. Scale-wise they probably won't match particularly well with my collection which has a lot of classic 25-28mm stuff. Regarding creatures, I'm generally open to new interpretations, because truly official ones barely exist. HPL left a lot to the reader's imagination. From a technical perspective, these look nicely detailed and menacing. I see some Gigerish approach, maybe. Then again, there's some "more tentacles" and overdetailing which starts to lose the main form like in GW's modern plastic kits. I could paint these and add them to my merry menagerie, but the more likely scenario is that they'll sit unpainted in a huge box for years. The Hastur mini is great, though, regardless of whether I'd personally envisage Hastur like that or not. It's just a neat mini. Shoggoths look very useful too. The rest is around average, not something I'd want to insta-buy if sold individually. The cost per piece is quite acceptable in the basic box.

Then, the maxiature... At this point of collecting I'd already "need" a ridiculously huge centrepiece, but I'm not sure whether this sculpt is what I really want. It's acceptable, but not a must-have. Somehow it feels more like "CMoN Cthulhu" than "The Great Cthulhu". Also, the cost with shipping is well over $200 and the delivery estimate is almost two years ahead. Admittedly, any resin kit of this size would probably be more like $500, but, well, with over 4000 of these ordered already (and undoubtedly some bought in a whim and/or eventually thrown out by angry spouses or a general reality check), I'd suspect that plenty will be available second-hand whenever they actually ship. Maybe I'll just invest in stock for two years instead?

Finally, one thing that really saddens me that they've already got some basic mythos stuff like names wrong several times. It may be a small thing but somehow it makes me think that (some of) the people responsible for the campaign are not very well versed in the topic but just piggybacking on the Cthulhu hype. The "Investigators fhtagn!" greeting they use smells like someone doesn't know what they're writing. :P Added to the "shoot it in the face" and "tentacles everywhere" factors, it makes the whole project feel a bit bland. I didn't buy Cthulhu Wars either, because it was essentially only about smashing plastic tentacle monsters against each other, not adventure or mystery. I may still leave a pledge in, for example the $1 which can be upgraded, but in reality I'm not very excited. The game may be playable for a couple of sessions, but I'd be mainly in for the miniatures. Even those may end up in a huge plastic pile in the attic.

Maybe there's not much hope of a big publisher producing a game which is really faithful to the True Spirit of mystery and madness. :?

I must (sadly) agree. There was a certain mood in this KS in the last couple of days that made me drop my pledge, too (well I'm still in for $1).

1. The characters. A lot of great variation, but I also came to the conclusion, that as much as I wanted Einstein to battle Cthulhu, I didn't want him to do that with a gun...

2. The setting. I pledged both for Hellboy and Solomon Kane, which had lovely extra boxes with new monsters opening up whole new levels of gaming (well at least I thought so). Here? Where is Insmouth? Where are the archaeological sites of Australia? etc.

3. The errors: Mythos monsters all mixed up (why whould an Elder thing and a member of the Great Race of Yith be on the same side as Cthulhu or a Shggoth?), spelling errors and lack of research.

I still think its a good game, but there are better ways to spend my money.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2018, 07:21:28 PM »
damn I torn, I'd be buying for the solo game play but wouldn't Mansions be better - I could go 100 and sell of the minins to part (or fully?) fund it and use my current minis....

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2018, 07:24:18 PM »
I would say that some of the miniatures are excellent. The issue is should I invest 100 bucks +30 for shipping into small portion of the whole game?

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2018, 08:30:49 PM »
wow the last sg is a stunner

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2018, 03:26:52 AM »
damn I torn, I'd be buying for the solo game play but wouldn't Mansions be better - I could go 100 and sell of the minins to part (or fully?) fund it and use my current minis....

MoM's has investigation, DMD (and Cthulhu Wars as well as Strange Aeons) doesn't.

I think Call of Cthulhu RPG has better narration than both games, and there's a free app that has adapted several solo adventures. If you can't find it, send me a message!
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »
While I'd love a fair few of the figures, I have to absolutely agree that WAY too many of them armed and that puts me off of many of them. Armed Einstein? Really? C'mon CMON...

I would pay quite a lot for the Olivia miniature. But I'll just have to wait to pick it up solo later I suppose. None of these idiots running boardgame Kickstarters ever seem to want to just offer minis, even at the exorbitant prices which would justify the trouble of small standalone pledges.   

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 11:18:01 AM »
I thought that was probably the worst figure design idea of the lot.

Call of Cthulhu is about out thinking and outwitting the bad guys, if any figure in history, ever, should be depicted holding a pistol to shoot a horror in the face, it is emphatically not Albert Einstein.
He should be shown reading a book, researching a scroll or casting the most mind bending of spells.

A pistol? No.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2018, 06:17:32 PM »
Eh, I ended up staying in on the base game, and that was pretty much just for the Cthulhu and Hastur figures. Was really disappointed in a lot of the design choices for the monsters, was like the designers didn't read any of the descriptions in the stories. As to the game itself it us the most un-Mythos game play out of any Mythos game I have encountered, it should really be called Cthulicide. In fact I think it was basically a cash grab for the Mythos fan base, the most important thing was having Cthulhu on the box. Still want the big Cthulhu but with over 4K being made am sure I will be able to pick one up cheaper on eBay down the line.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »
The Baker figure with a gun, the bonus free goal as they didn't make as much as they thought, shocked me too..

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2018, 04:34:16 AM »
Well, I liked it. And the number of miniatures for E. 170 really made it a no-brainer.

I don't think the game is especially original, but the minis will have loads of use.

But I must say I skipped the megature. No idea what to do with that and ludicrously expensive.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/