Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:01:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lovecraftian Flicks  (Read 24648 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »
Quote from: "gauntman"
3 Conan Movies...I thought there were just two?

anyway..

I don't know..I always considered Conan fantasy....

I'm including Red Sonia where they changed Conan's name to Lord Calidor or some such for copyright reasons. Fantasy yes, but Mythos to I always thought. :wink:
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 10:23:46 PM »
In my opinion, very little of the Cthulhuesque aspects of REH's stories made it into the Conan movies (or that abominable Kull movie with Kevin Sorbo in it). There was a scene in Red Sonja where the priestesses were thrown into some pit (the inside of which was never shown) and lots of screaming followed as if they were coming under attack by something monstrous. That seemed sort of Lovecraftian to me, but it wasn't much.

Maybe the upcoming animated Conan movie, Red Nails, will have a stronger Lovecraftian feel. I haven't read the original story yet.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »
What about Ghostbusters? Evil arcitecture, dog monsters, pagan sceremonies, Doomsday cult...lots of ghosts...it's a stretch but come on! Gotta love the Ghostbusters. :roll:

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 12:48:39 PM »
...The Deadly Spawn!...Haven't seen it in a long while but I seem to recall a metior crash, some wormy alien monsters and a frightened small town....again, kinda Lovecraftian...

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 04:24:35 PM »
Deadly Spawn - wow.  Only a horror buff would even try to find and watch that one.

I feel a real kinship with ya for mentioning that one.
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 02:28:01 PM »
...speaking of kinship how about...The Kindred...experimental 'son', tentacles...don't remember much else about it thou...

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 07:39:50 PM »
I've been looking for Kindred on dvd for ages without success, is it available under another name?

Deadly Spawn is a great movie considering it's made by fans. It was filmed in the Hildebrandts' house (the brothers that did the art for the original Star wars poster)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 01:08:34 AM »
Also, Slithis and Humanoids From The Deep are both good/crap movies about deep ones. Gotta love the whole humanoid rape scene...bizare f'd up stuff! Not to be viewed with your Grandmother! ...Man! I wanna watch some more old shlock!

The Shoporama is closed for the evening but I may just try to order a copy of The Kindred tomorrow...I remember it being the bees knees when I was a wee wretch.

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 03:34:28 AM »
Check out The Mist, it's actually a good flick and the monsters are Cthulhu-esq.  Very psychological and could be a template for such reactions when up against the Old Ones.  Great ideas for campaign games too.

Check it out,
Brian

http://www.sidereel.com/The_Mist
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 12:57:48 PM »
Never heard of it...looks O.K. Stephen King movies are always worth a rent. (I'm sure my wife disagrees...)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 01:54:50 PM »
Quote from: "Uncle Mike"
Stephen King movies are always worth a rent.

If only because it means you get the same amount of actual plot in a 90 minute movie as you do in one of his books without having to plough through hundreds of pages of extraneous detail and fatuous backstory.

Some of the ones I've seen have been hillariously badly acted too.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 02:18:43 PM »
I just got a transfer copy of "Humanoids from the Deep" (1980) version.  It is a great classic B-movie.  I love the whole Deep One feel to it.  Even though they explain the issue as a genetic mutation.

I've been looking for a transfer on the "Kindred" too.  I found one but haven't been willing to shell out the dollars for it yet.  I love collecting old made for TV movies and rare Horror Flicks.

Been waiting for the "Mist" and "Ruins" to hit DVD too.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 02:20:31 PM »
The figure in my picture icon isn't holding an accursed tome.....it's a rare horror dvd.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 11:51:16 PM »
Tried to order The Kindred and was informed that it has been discontinued... :cry:  Guess I'll have to try and find an old Betamax copy and steal my dads old machine... :freak:

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Lovecraftian Flicks
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 11:55:34 PM »
"Steven King movies always deliver what you expect, and somtimes even end up being quite good.", is what I should have said...I don't want anyone else to quote me saying, "Stephen King movies are always worth a rent." It makes me sound like an idiot.

And although I may infact be an idiot I'd like to keep it under wraps for the time being... :D