Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How to remove decals?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
How to remove decals?
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:27:54 PM »
Is there a simple way to remove decals from plastic minis w/o taking the paint too, or messing up the plastic? Also what's a good source for printer friendly decal paper, so I can make my own to replace the ones I took off?
Thanks,
-J

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: How to remove decals?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:33:26 PM »
In short, No.

Decals are pretty well permanent when dry if they have been applied properly (ie tight to a smooth surface). It they were applied over a matt surface then you may be lucky enough that one of the decal softening solutions could penetrate to the air trapped below them and cause them to lift/soften enough to scrape off cleanly.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:37:58 PM »
from the microscale website (the guys from microset/microset):

Removing Decals

Decals can be removed from a model provided the model has not been over sprayed with a finishing coat.  That is, a gloss, satin or flat finishing product.  If the model has a finish coating applied, then it might become necessary to completely strip the painted model and start over.

If the decals have no finish coat applied, first start by applying adhesive back masking tape over the decal.  The tackier tape used, the better luck you will have with the removal.  After rubbing the tape in place, lift and slowly pull at a shallow angle back over its self.  With luck, most of the decal lettering should lift off.  Any remaining decal material can then be soaked off with water.

Another method is to use our product, Micro-Sol (red label) to the remaining decal.  Let the solution soak a few minutes and then use a pink rubber pencil eraser and rub over the decal working carefully as not to remove the painted surface.  A fingernail will also work.  Be sure to rinse off the area with fresh water as letting the Micro-Sol set too long can case the paint to lift.  Repeat as necessary.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »
Very fine abrasive paper can be used to remove varnish coats over decals, just be very patient
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 07:00:55 AM »
from the microscale website (the guys from microset/microset):

Ah, yes, when I saw the title this microsol product was the first thing I thought of. I have a bottle but I have never used it.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
Ah, yes, when I saw the title this microsol product was the first thing I thought of. I have a bottle but I have never used it.

Amazing stuff. Don't panic if you use it for the first time. The decal gets all soft and bloated and it looks horrible, but then sinks into the detail of the surface. Just one catch : don't touch the decal before it's dry or it's ruined.