Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:36:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Burgundian Succession Wars 1477 onwards?  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Burgundian Succession Wars 1477 onwards?
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:28:58 PM »
I've been engrossed in this conflict for a while now and I'm struggling to find much about the military side of it in English. If anyone can provide some decent links or search terms in French, Flemish/Dutch or German, I'd be really grateful. I can even muddle through translating in these languages if needed, so online books and articles will be helpful too.

I'm also looking for information on Juan de Salazar, who fought for the Burgundians in these wars and subsequently for Richard III at Bosworth. I'm not talking about the other Juan de Salazar, 'El Gran Capitan', who died about 1478 or so btw.

Thanks in anticipation of any help!  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:58:03 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: Burgundian Succession Wars 1477 onwards...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »
Interesting subject...

I've just Googled it (as you certainly did) and found that a universitary research "Aspects militaires de la guerre pour la succession de Bourgogne, de Nancy au traité d’Arras (5 janvier 1477-23 décembre 1482)" was done in 2001 at the Ecole Nationale des Chartes (a history university in Paris) by Mr Amable Sablon du Corail.
A resume of his work is here: http://theses.enc.sorbonne.fr/2001/sablonducorail
but this school does not communicate such works easily and you must ask the author's permission.

I did another quick research with his name and he appears to work in the Service des Archives de France you can find his mail address amongst those of the staff:
http://www.archivesdefrance.culture.gouv.fr/annuaire-services/direction/

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
Re: Burgundian Succession Wars 1477 onwards?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »
Thanks Patrice, that will be most helpful. I'm used to academics and their ways...  ::) However they are usually most helpful once they believe you aren't in competition or are not going to argue with them.  lol

It's a long story, but in short; I found out about the war while reading up on the Calais Garrison, with a brief mention of some men who deserted to fight in Flanders as mercenaries for Burgundy and it went from there. Googling helped to a point, but it has its limitations... I also uncovered La Guerre folle (1485 to 1488) too, which should be of interest to a Breton such as yourself!

The English often tend to concentrate on the Wars of the Roses and assume (with the exception of the Burgundian Wars) that the world stopped turning while all this happened. We only know about Charles le hardi because we'd briefly stopped fighting each other in the time he was fighting the Swiss.

:?

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
For Salazar check ' le petit Salazar'

http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/abpo_0399-0826_1995_num_102_4_3838

an article on Richard III, Britanny and Henry Tudor

If you can find it  there is a very recent good work in Flemish on Guinegatte by prof Verbruggen , a respected authority on medieval military history, published by the Brussels army museum (oob, communal accounts, livery colours, battle accounts, numbers etc)

Carl

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
Carl, thank you!

I've managed to get hold of a copy of Verbruggen's book (I think so, anyway). Good link too, I'll be reading that at my leisure.

It makes sense that there would be a way of distinguishing between the two Salazars, but not being a native French speaker, I miss out on knowing the conventions that arise around nicknames etc, so that lead is appreciated too!

:)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:19:10 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:13:50 AM »
Now, this projest does sound very interesting and I will be watching your every move with anticipation.

'Tis true that the world did not stop post HYW  lol.

Darrell.

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »
Arlequin
If you need help (translation) with the Verbruggen, just ask . I'm Belgian Flemish and should be ok with it  ;)

Carl

i also thought about this period but ended up with researching mid XVth century Italy so i'm busy with liveries, stemma, imprese flags etc for the Malatesta, Montefeltre, Colleoni and SanSeverino  ;D

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
Now, this projest does sound very interesting and I will be watching your every move with anticipation.

It is very interesting and I cannot believe it hasn't had better coverage.

You have the French trying to grab as much land as possible, both in the Low Countries and the two Burgundies, subsequently having to deal with a rebellion by some of their own nobles in the latter. The chief French gain is Picardy, which remains in French hands from then on.

The Burgundian Low Countries provinces are in some dissarray, with a stroppy moody and somewhat tactless teen at the helm of the Burgundian State itself and the 'Four Estates' (i.e. the Low Countries towns, cities and feudal holdings) trying to gain more independence from the Burgundian state itself.

Duchess Maria marries Maximilian, then a penniless German noble (his father, the Emperor, was very tight-fisted), who manages to occasionally unite the forces of Burgundy and the Low Countries and eventually forces the French back and gains several brief truces (during which fighting continues anyway).

The high point is the Battle of Guinegate in 1479, but fighting continues until 1482, when Maria dies in a riding accident, after which it really gets complicated, as Maximilian has no inheritance rights and becomes a whole new war.

The Burgundian Army initially consists of the survivors of Nancy, along with those troops which remained in the Low Countries, supported piecemeal by Low Countries' Militias, who seem to be trying to fight their own war and some of the German states, particularly Cleves. Maximilian reforms the Burgundian Army, although it is somewhat different to that of Charles the Bold.

The French have their Ordonnance Companies, supported by the Francs-Archers and subsequently by the new Swiss-trained 'Bands' when the former prove to be ineffective. The province of Geldres also rebels, just to add more confusion to the mix.

Besides the sieges and the Battle of Guinegate itself, many of the actions appear to be relatively small scale actions, ambushes and raids. The loss of life was supposedly immense, rivalling the Thirty Years War and resulted in a massive depopulation of the area. The fallout from Maria's marriage to Maximilian and her untimely death, turned the Netherlands into the 'Cock-pit of Europe' for the next few hundred years.

If that wasn't enough, the English almost joined in on Burgundy's side, but Edward IV, despite Maria being his niece, decided he preferred the French pension he was getting. Nevertheless there was a mercenary company, composed of 300 English who took part, besides the ones on already individual service (2,000 had joined Burgundy's forces after Duke Charles offered them jobs after the 1475 expedition) and who had survived Nancy.      

As a period it has it all; virtually every troop type existing in Late Medieval Western Europe, including Swiss Mercenaries, Italian mercenaries (amongst others) and Maximilian's proto-Landsknechts. The forces are fairly evenly matched, the French only doing well initially because of the Burgundian disarray and subsequently finds itself over-extended.

It has the treachery of the Wars of the Roses and the political scheming of the Italian Renaissance - both Maria and Maximilian are both captured and held to ransom at various times by supposedly their own side, so that the Flemish can wrangle more freedoms from the State. France is trying to bribe people to come over to them left, right and centre, and is partially successful in this too.

Enough said?  ;)

Arlequin
If you need help (translation) with the Verbruggen, just ask . I'm Belgian Flemish and should be ok with it  ;)

Carl

i also thought about this period but ended up with researching mid XVth century Italy so i'm busy with liveries, stemma, imprese flags etc for the Malatesta, Montefeltre, Colleoni and SanSeverino  ;D

Thanks, if I struggle, I will be in touch.  :)

You've chosen another interesting period there... I was tempted by either the Pazzi War or the Salt War, which were obviously a little later. You've got your work cut out! 'Mercenaries and their Masters' by Michael Mallet, is an excellent book btw, I fully recommend it.

;)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:34:57 AM by Arlequín »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 12:27:03 PM »
I don't know how usefull this will be to you but Verbruggen is available in English- just thought that I'd let you know- just in case it's usefull(?).

Darrell.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »
It's very useful... but I've struggled to find a copy in Flemish and a search in English hasn't proved successful.  :'(

I'll largely cope, it will just take longer and I'll accept the challenge! It's like the Flemish have a different word for everything though. I had a Belgian girlfriend once, though I doubt any of the words she taught me are used by Verbruggen.  :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:22:08 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »
It's very useful... but I've struggled to find a copy in Flemish and a search in English hasn't proved successful.  :'(

I'll largely cope, it will just take longer and I'll accept the challenge! It's like the Flemish have a different word for everything though. I had a Belgian girlfriend once, though I doubt any of the words she taught me are used by Verbruggen.  :D

lol  I have the same 'problem' with my French girlfriend and middle French  lol

Darrell.